News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:36:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Winter C/L Insanity in Philly Today  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Winter C/L Insanity in Philly Today
« on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
So the R/C club is supposed to have a Frosty Fingers Fun Fly today. One R/Cer shows up . I'm busy in the shop working on my Strega and I get a call from one of my C/L pals. Yo, lets go flying'..... It's totally insane ....19 degrees, 15MPH winds, 4 inches of snow on the field ....and it's still snowing....Naturally ,I say yes ,see youse in a 1/2 hr. I wish I could post the videos as I don't know how,but here are some still pics.... The "Three Amigos" are Steve Dinnerman with Rignmaster/ McCoy 35, Rich Martinez/ Ringmaster/OS 40 and myself PhillySkip with a beater Midwest P63/Enya 35. If you go to the Philly Fliers FB page the videos are there.Great stuff!

Funny thing is all planes started easily and flew great.....thank goodness for Ronson Lighter Fluid....

Peace,PhillySkip

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Winter C/L Insanity in Philly Today
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
Oh that looked like it was fun!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
No doubt!

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
Great post, Skip.

Here are some shots of the first pre-production ARF Oriental that I built and evaluated before it was released for sale.

Just for fun, I built skis and Dan B. and I flew it at Lincoln Park - worked great!

I gave the skis to Dan.

Unfortunately, we have no snow in South Carolina.  Darn!    :'(  :'(  :'(

Bob Z.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
Great post, Skip.

Here are some shots of the first pre-production ARF Oriental that I built and evaluated before it was released for sale.

Just for fun, I built skis and Dan B. and I flew it at Lincoln Park - worked great!

I gave the skis to Dan.

Unfortunately, we have no snow in South Carolina.  Darn!    :'(  :'(  :'(

Bob Z.
You are more than welcome to as much of ours as you want Bob!!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »
I see the Ringmaster has skis
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »
Bob ,I'm certain when Banjock hears that we were out in a snow storm he'll ask "Why didn't you call me?" Unfortunately he lives on the other side of the city.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 06:31:43 PM »
Hey, What's all that white stuff on the ground?

Randy Cuberly
Tucson AZ....

PS:  19 degrees!  Wow!  Hey it was cold here this morning also, 51 degrees Brrrrrrrr!  ::)
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »
Deleted
posted on wrong thread  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:47:15 AM by Larry Fernandez »

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »
When we got to the field the big question was "Who's going to fly first?"....anyway I said to the others...."you're all sissies....I'll go first."  The hardest part was getting your line clips on with freezing fingers. The wind was howling so no "stunt runs" for me. Let her rip.  We all had fun ,but one flight each was enough. We rolled up our lines and went for coffee.Thank Goodness.

What was an eye opener for me was how well all three engines ran. A few clicks richer on the needles and bingo! In all fairness we did use our electric starters and a few drops of lighter fluid (works great,but being in AZ you might not know that! LOL....PhillySkip

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 12:41:36 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Ronsol method.  Is that three or four drops in the venturi before starting?  Pull the prop through a couple of times before putting the Ronsol in?

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
I must be getting old or nobody willing tp fly with me.  I remember John Bender and myself out flying on a grass field covered mostly with ice.  Low 20's and very little breeze.  A couple of flights then off too the closest restaurant for pie and coffee.  Maybe Randy C. will back me up on this, but I remember the guys in the Flying Eagles using the Ronsonal Lighter fluid cans, but it was model plane fuel in the cans.   Great anytime for priming engines.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
Mark, just squirt the lighter fluid into the venturi,choke her a couple of flips,put the glow driver on and either flip the prop or use your starter. I don't know what is in the lighter fluid,but it works!

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
Doc,It's just lighter fluid in the yellow and blue squirt can. The stuff works ,no snake oil here.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
I must be getting old or nobody willing tp fly with me.  I remember John Bender and myself out flying on a grass field covered mostly with ice.  Low 20's and very little breeze.  A couple of flights then off too the closest restaurant for pie and coffee.  Maybe Randy C. will back me up on this, but I remember the guys in the Flying Eagles using the Ronsonal Lighter fluid cans, but it was model plane fuel in the cans.   Great anytime for priming engines.

Yeah Doc...I remember just about everybody in the KC Eagles using Ronsonol cans for priming with FUEL.  Pop off the top and refill with Missile Mist!   I have used the "lighter fluid" method in very cold weather subsequently to that era however.  The lighter fluid is very volatile and will still vaporize at very low temps...It will also start a heck of a fire if you get too much in the engine!  I remember watching Pappy Merriwether stomp on a Broomstick Rat that he managed to set on fire with the stuff in about 1957 at City Park!  He actually got those bushy eyebrows of his singed pretty good that day!!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here