News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 16470 times)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Does anyone know id Outlook 2013 will wok with Windows 10?  I bought it for my old computer just before I decided to let my brother build me a new one...actually he's making me help him because he doesn't want to do it again!  LL~

I currently use outlook and like it but someone told me it might not work with 10.

Anybody know for sure?

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Does anyone know id Outlook 2013 will wok with Windows 10?  I bought it for my old computer just before I decided to let my brother build me a new one...actually he's making me help him because he doesn't want to do it again!  LL~

I currently use outlook and like it but someone told me it might not work with 10.

Anybody know for sure?

Randy Cuberly

Check out the Q & A in this site for Outlook 2013 issues.  Seems on there it will receive email OK but has a send problem.  Shows a workaround to fix that.  Seems to work for everyone there.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/370532-why-wont-outlook-2013-send-emails-after-windows-10-upgrade.html
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2015, 07:00:01 PM »
Thanks!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »
When faced with Outlook, I always copy the receiver's email address and paste it into the form on my regular email system. The reply will then come into my normal email inbox, a plus. Less trouble, IMO.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 12:06:22 AM »
I'm finding some problems, most likely with the MS "Edge" (?) browser. In one forum, the bold, italics and underline icons don't work right. They don't highlight, but they also make the intended word type in backwards! As in "scilati", to which I say "WTF?" So I'm on here, and when I go to insert some html code like that with the toolbar buttons, it moves from where intended off to the start of the post or paragraph or something...not sure yet. Same for other essential icons. :)

I understand that there is a new variant of IE, IE 11, but I haven't found a way to download it. I don't like Chrome, and don't like MS "Edge", and would prefer not to bother with Mozilla or Oprah (sic), both of which I have. I'd like to make it work right. How can I poke MS into fixing it? If Bill doesn't fix it, I'll go fish in front of his house at every opportunity. He hates that, you know. H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
Steve,
IE is in Windows 10, just well hidden.  I am still using Windows 7, but my wife had Windows 8, so I upgraded hers to 10.  Rather that try to re-write it, I did like this

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/open-internet-explorer-in-windows-10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/internet-explorer-does-not-open-in-modern-ui

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
Paraphrasing the White House occupant:  "If you like you current provider, you can keep your current provider."

Many of us have elected to do just that.  I'm sticking with 7.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »
I waited until last Sunday to install Windows 10.  It took 1 Hour and 20 Minutes to load.  Then began 8 hours of hunt and peck to find out how to access my emails and forums like Stunt Hangar.  It turned out that I just needed to open MS Edge and enter the name or key word.  I was having problems with my Emails, under Windows 8.1 locking up, requiring me to keep restarting the program.  Now that I am using Windows 10 not a single lockup!!!

Thanks MS,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
Testing, after changing to IE (something or other!).  ;D  Steve

PS:  Well, this is much better! Thank you, Fred...I didn't find it "easy", but got 'er dun!

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
You might try this way if you want the icon on the desktop, I believe that I only got it on the taskbar with the above method. 

Go to the “Tile” view and click on the “OS” tile. Next L click on "program files (x86)" and then the "Internet Explorer" folder. Next, R click on Iexplore, not on the Internet Explorer shortcut, and then chose create shortcut and put it on the desktop.

I believe that it is IE 11.  You need to look at the box and decide if you want automatic updates to IE.
Fred

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
I had some troubles with compatibility view on Bass Boat Central....had the url wrong. Got that fixed and that site now works nicely on IE v.11.  Now for the acid test...  o2oP  Steve

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
I did the update and was very unhappy. I don't like having to rebuild the desktop (which I never go to work), don't like having to reload all the favorites. Lucky I was able to find a the reset procedure and restored my Windows 7 and all my stuff was there. Did I miss something? Do you have to redo all the programs and settings?

Best,     DennisT

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
Only trouble I have with the Windows 10 other than the sound I still can't get, is now the history files works only when it wants too.   Don't want to bother the nerds as they may make it worse.  Still have my lap top when I want to listen to a video.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
Hope you folks have fun being beta testers for Microsoft. I'll stick with an actual operating system.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
I didn't like the "Edge" browser, but did some research and found out I could download IE #11 (free)...it works pretty well. I passed this on to Nils Norling, and he did the same...and was overjoyed. The "Edge" icon is still on the bottom tool bar, along with Oprah (sic) and Firefaux (sic), but I got rid of Chrome...while I like Google for search, I am offended by their continual attempts at trying to install stuff I don't want, such as their toolbars and their homepage. Screw that!  R%%%% Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
>>I am offended by their continual attempts at trying to install stuff I don't want, such as their toolbars and their homepage. Screw that!<<

Gee, I never run into that. At all. Ever.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »
>>I am offended by their continual attempts at trying to install stuff I don't want, such as their toolbars and their homepage. Screw that!<<

Gee, I never run into that. At all. Ever.

You and the others in the 0.2% of all computers that are not running Windows. If whatever you are running is so great how come it only has < 0.2% market share. Must be some reason that number is so low. Like.. You need money to afford a MAC at about 3 times the cost of a PC or be a geek to run some form of UNIX. If something better and cheaper than Windows actually existed PC manufactures would be jumping on it like a chicken on a June bug.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »
You and the others in the 0.2% of all computers that are not running Windows. If whatever you are running is so great how come it only has < 0.2% market share. Must be some reason that number is so low. Like.. You need money to afford a MAC at about 3 times the cost of a PC or be a geek to run some form of UNIX. If something better and cheaper than Windows actually existed PC manufactures would be jumping on it like a chicken on a June bug.
well Bob,, this is Randy we are talking about here,, you have seen the kind of planes he builds,, would you expect hiim to use "normal" software?
yeah, did not think so

that said, I have been forced to use a Mac at work,, ( actually have a Mac and a Windows machine side by side,,) I will say, the keyboard on the Mac is exquisite, I did not think I would like it, but going back to my PC keyboard feels like going from my Impact back to my Ukey,,, its Profound,, however there are some oddities that I have to get used to,, it appears no one machine has all the answers,,

well except Randys,, LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
Bob,

I use a linux variant. And you don't have to be a geek to use it. UNIX based operating systems are just better than Windows. But they don't advertise, they don't twist your arm or force you into situations where the only option is a sub-standard, proprietary, bug ridden, virus ridden, clunker of a system. The percentage is low because they don't push it. Most of the internet is run on UNIX or linux servers for a reason.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »
I just found out that you can install Windows 10 as an "Upgrade" rather than a "clean install". This keeps all your settings and programs. I had done the install a few weeks back and it lost all my outlook contact data, many programs, etc. I did the restore to Windows7, all was good. I then hear you could do the "upgrade" and basically all the program data would remain. I did this and it works. To do this go to Windows Update site and do "update to Windows 10". Do a custom install, this allows you to turn off all the tracking options. You will notice that Internet Explore is replaced by MS Edge as the default browser. This works OK but the default install settings don't have a home button. You can activate this in the settings tab under "advanced settings" then it works pretty much like IE, you can also set your home page in the advance settings also. Up in the early part of this thread there is a site that gives detail instructions to turn off the tracking in the Privacy section.

For me all my MS 2007 Office apps were preserved and work fine.

Best,         DennisT

Offline 11290

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2015, 02:41:47 PM »
I just found out that you can install Windows 10 as an "Upgrade" rather than a "clean install". This keeps all your settings and programs. I had done the install a few weeks back and it lost all my outlook contact data, many programs, etc. I did the restore to Windows7, all was good. I then hear you could do the "upgrade" and basically all the program data would remain. I did this and it works. To do this go to Windows Update site and do "update to Windows 10". Do a custom install,...........................................this allows you to turn off all the tracking options. You will notice that Internet Explore is replaced by MS Edge as the default browser. This works OK but the default install settings don't ha

Best,         DennisT

Often times that site will be "full" and will ask to notify you when available, which in my case for 2 different computers, the notification never came.  Easier and quicker to just use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (Google that for the site link).  From there you can either do the upgrade right from there immediately or if you want, you can create either a flash drive copy or an iso and do the upgrade with that.  I did both of mine from the MCT and they both came out fine and didn't lose anything.  Went back after that and made a flash drive copy for each (one is Pro and the other is Home) in case I need to do a clean install at any point.
Evansville, IN & Orlando, FL

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »

I haven't seen many people *intentionally* buy a Windows PC for years.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »

Brett

I and most of the people I know build their own from parts and assemblies.

Apple unfortunately is too dependent on "Apple".

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2015, 04:11:54 PM »
Same here, but I stuck with windows 7. I hate "improvements" pounded up my atz.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »

Brett

Sept just about all of corporate America, a big portion buy PC's without any OS then install an enterprise version of Windows because they can do that without licensing each individual PC and configure the installation along with whatever software they want on the computers. I use to make allot of money helping IT departments upgrade computers.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »
Never been in a business that used Apple computers. Our school system buys Apple computers, which they pay for with property tax levies. So the kiddos get out of school knowing how to run an Apple computer, but will have to learn to run the PC for their new job? This makes no sense to me. Can anybody explain why this is good? If Apples were competitively priced, I would consider buying one. If property taxes were lower, I might be able to buy a new PC. As it is, I haven't bought a new PC since '05. It got upgraded several times, but last Christmas, my brilliant son upgraded his old PC and gave it to me. That's how I got Win8.1, after MS pulled the cord on XP.

Long ago, I asked my computer guy about Linux, but he said "No, you don't want to do that."  He's a "computer hobbyist"; I just want one that works. I figured that if it was that good, he'd use it.  D>K Steve   

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
The biggest problem with 10 is that it has great gobs of "helpful" stuff running in the background all the time.  The "upgrade available now helps that to some extent.
If you go on one of the Geek forums there are instructions on how to get rid of most of the crap and then things get much faster!

Basically it is a good system when you get it all sorted out.  Better than 7 or 8.1.  a lot faster just differently organized.  That, of course, takes a little getting used to but after a few days of lots of swear words and insults to Bill Gates parentage (just kidding Bill)...I think it's very good and very fast.  It runs 64 bits like a firestorm.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
So far I've only had to get my HP printer updated to Windows 10 (just go to the HP support site and search windows 10). If you have any problems google you problem with the words "windows 10" added and it will find answers. One thing when you do the update do a "customized" install and it will allow you to switch off any tracking.  Here is a site that will help turn off tracking if you don't want the added features:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/31/9075531/windows-10-privacy-how-to

Best,    DennisT

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2015, 01:53:38 PM »
Wife got me a new Laptop but has Win 10 and I dislike it so gonna wipe it and install Win 7 OS...

All this because I do not have to change ALL my file/printers, and NAT storage sharing and the home group settings on the home network of 12 devices.... Toshiba told her it was a Win 7 box but it shipped with 10 installed... not worth the trouble to send back as I have the skills to do this

For some profound reason Microsoft will not let any OS do most of the networking sharing in a mixed OS environment

OH yea...don't bother with the UNIX, Xenix, SCO, UBantu, Black Hat or other Open source recommendation...been there done that---- same freaking game... I have been building computers, and managing networks since the early 80s

Got a 13 year old desk top that I built that is still current hardware wise
Great MSI mother board with a lot of ability to change the Bios and firmware
Way over sized 1000W power supply fed by a very good UPS
Very good tower with a LOT of silent cooling (no I did not need cryo or water) but I did spring for the better heat sinks and paste
Very good Raid controller and a nice set of fast drives (4 WD Raptors)  but the OS now is on a hybrid SSD with both on and off site daily backup

The (super desktop) project started with Win XP 32 bit and was doing all I asked of it, but I had to play with Vista 64 bit and liked it the same but required ALL CPUs to be on same OS for network compatibility...reverted to XP because my network was OK having a mixed OS on the different laptops (we had a few win for work groups 2.0 OS machines)

Then Win 7 came out and my Army PX had the OS as a 3 cpu license for $79. Hard to beat that deal and now that it is near orphan they don't seem to care how may CPUs it is on..the packaging access code still works after about 6 installs

Same desk top backed up daily on and off site has basically been up 24/7 for  over decade with no BSD or frequent reboots necessary (of course many updates require a reboot)

I suspect the real secret to reliable computer is to keep the Trojans, worms, adaware crap out with a good firewall paid for internet security software and stay away from most porn sites
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here