Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WHY  (Read 4748 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
WHY
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:54:32 PM »
Why are some people so afraid to let us know where they might be located?   In a way I know why a few are.    Yes I have my address in my posts.  Will need to verify phone number again and I try to respond to PM's when I get one.

Administrator, if inappropriate you may delete.   S?P   VD~   D>K   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: WHY
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:02:31 PM »
delete
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:13:21 PM by Motorman »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
Doc, we agree completely on this, and I see nothing wrong with your post. City & State is all we're suggesting. Don't skimp on the State, because city names are often used in multiple States. From there, a PM should make a connection possible (or be rejected easily enough), once there is the realization that another CL bod is in your area. ::) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
City & state isn't enough to reliably drop a smart bomb on someone, unless you have a big one.  For instance, Oregon City, OR, would put your bomb several miles from here, over really hilly country -- I don't think you could hurt me with a Hiroshima-sized nuke dropped on OC, at least not immediately.  But my way provides a nice convenience in this regard.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
Are we talking about nukeing someone for running an electric system in an Old Timer, or maybe, gasp, running a diesel?  LL~  VD~

Perhaps a letter filled with nasty stuff for covering with polyspan and SLC instead of silkspan and dope? WRONG BRAND OF AUTOMOTIVE CLEAR COAT.  n1

Egad, the possibility for blasthemy seem endless. Where will it end? (Probably with a gummint crackdown due to quadcopter abuse)

Rubber bands and Japanese tissue forever!  VD~

Hey, we are a shrinking society here and need to be as cohesive as possible. I really want to know who I am talking to. I hide from nobody ... Well, maybe the IRS, DMV, ISIS, especially ISIS.  f~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
I made a comment one time about some one who needed help but had no address in the left, or below in his signature...small , short lived hi-jack ---and the member did update his profile-- but seemed put out to do it.... I was sincerely trying to get him to realize that his problem is best addressed with a local "been there done that" "let me show you how we do" it kind of fellow

I am a member on a lot of differing forums and on some, deliberately try to be semi anonymous

BUT here on SH or other modeling forums I desire to be known and located in the hope that some new member will be close and offer to help, or I notice he is close and I offer to go over and help

Hopefully some day I will find a building and/or flying buddy close enough to not need 1+ hours of travel

Fred
still a C/L flier of one in a 75 mile radius
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »

I hide from nobody ... Well, maybe the IRS, DMV, ISIS, especially ISIS.  f~

And guys who fly full size stunters. VD~
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Eric Viglione

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
Doc - Don't forget, when Sparky first started this forum, there was an issue with peoples addresses (or was it zip codes? my memory is foggy on that part) in our profiles making the board software run like a 3 legged mule, so Sparky asked us all to remove them from our profiles and things got better. A lot of us never put the info back.

Add to that the total un-safety of the internet these days, and having to use our real names as it is on these forums, well, it just gives the bad guys that much more info to "spoof" you into replying to one of their virus laden or phishing emails, or answer scam phone calls that sound legit, or be victim of one form of identity theft or another.

Don't think "oh, why would anyone bother with me" because they don't have to single you out, they use automated spiders that "crawl" through page after page of the internet, building a profile on everyone that they can, then attempt to harvest peoples credit, identities, etc. like plucking an apple from a tree at a time convenient for them to attempt to harvest you when ripe.

Some of y'all can pooh pooh that and act all tough guy as you want, but until you have had to rebuild your identity and credit from scratch, be careful that you don't find out what a real nightmare it is. I serve a highly educated and computer savvy clientele, and they still get caught unawares, and the more you have, the more you have to lose. 'nough said.
Eric

Why are some people so afraid to let us know where they might be located?   In a way I know why a few are.    Yes I have my address in my posts.  Will need to verify phone number again and I try to respond to PM's when I get one.

Administrator, if inappropriate you may delete.   S?P   VD~   D>K   H^^

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
Oh for Heavens sake!  There are good security programs available today to stop that nonsense!  Get one and stop trying to "Hide from the world".

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Eric Viglione

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »
Oh for Heavens sake!  There are good security programs available today to stop that nonsense!  Get one and stop trying to "Hide from the world".

Randy Cuberly

Sorry, no offense intended, but that is pure BS Randy! There are credit monitoring software, and Life Lock and others, but the sales pitch is better than the product, and most just alert you after the horse is already out of the barn, and assist you in rebuilding your life after the fact.

If you are in the public eye, or own a business, your profile is a matter of public record and you have to bite the bullet and your info is "out there". But putting your personal info into additional areas of the internet where and when unnecessary is just making it easier to be a target. And even businesses, smart ones, use a P.O. Box on their web page, and either use a graphic of their info@ email address, or better still, do NOT publish their email addresses on their web page at all, they make you fill out a FORM to request info. This stops a huge amount of SPAM. And SPAM is where much of the phishing comes from. So they don't have to worry about their secretary opening some email and clicking a link by mistake and getting their server encrypted by ransomware, or letting some key-logger get their passwords.

The weak link is the organics (humans) involved, and falling for something you think is legit. We all have come close or actually have fallen for these ruses, and it is easier when they can affect a more realistic ploy.

It is easy to laugh at the Nigerian Prince who wants to send you millions, just give him your bank account number to wire you funds... but how about this one:

I got a FB request the other day from well known stunt flyer. It even had a picture of him with his plane as his avatar. It was NOT him, I am already friends with him....and if I had accepted, I would have been friends with 2 of the same person, 1 nice stunt guy extraordinaire, and 1 criminal fake, looking to invade my personal life and gain access to me. This is the new reality, the one thing we always feared. Smarter criminals.

Look at the Yahoo hack this month... happened 2 years ago, just finding out now. People who did NOT fill out their profiles fully just have to change their password, or all their passwords on everything they use, if that password is not unique to just Yahoo. People who put in their birthday, favorite color, etc etc etc. are now having to sweat a real chance of identity theft.

Please don't mislead people into an utterly false sense of security, you are not doing them any favors.

Eric

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 03:14:27 PM »
You will notice that my complete address and phone are right there!  Also shown in my profile.  I do this because people often want to contact me about issues with spark ignition engines and operation.  I sometimes offer help (for which I feel qualified) here on the various forums.  I say "contact me". 

I don't put anything on cyberspace connected with my banking, or other sensitive stuff.

I never write anything on the internet that I wouldn't want my wife or kids to read.

So, I really don't care if someone sees my address.  (it's in the phone book).  I know how to deal with Robocalls.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »
I agree with the ones that say put your location in, might help you in more ways than it could possibly hurt.

Not allot could be done with just your name, city and state which is public info anyway. Put your name in Google and see how much info is already out there.

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 06:01:26 AM »
Diesel user in the witness protection program, shoooooooo.
AMA 59633

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »
Doc - Don't forget, when Sparky first started this forum, there was an issue with peoples addresses (or was it zip codes? my memory is foggy on that part) in our profiles making the board software run like a 3 legged mule, so Sparky asked us all to remove them from our profiles and things got better. A lot of us never put the info back.

Now I only ask people use their real name for log in ID. A new user (or any user) does not have to display their real name. The biggest reason for this is trolls using all sorts of names to gain attention. I do not sell any email addresses or any collected info in a user profile.
As has been discussed while I do have security I am just one man against a world full of hackers trying to scam everyone. So keep doing things as is and protect your info. This does not mean you don't have to use your real name as your user name. I hope this gets my thoughts across.
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
So, I really don't care if someone sees my address.  (it's in the phone book).  I know how to deal with Robocalls.
Floyd

I answer all robo calls with a Chinese accent by saying "You have food orda"
AMA 12366

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
I answer all robo calls with a Chinese accent by saying "You have food orda"

Great idea !

Robert;

I just did this to my wife and she hung up on me!  LL~ LL~ LL~ Then I told her and she said "Was that you?"  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Can't wait to do this to a telemarketer!

GA

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
I am retired and when not busy building, yard work, or flying--- I have many hours of web surfing or contemplating my navel

This last year the "do not call list" for my cell fone has been ineffectual

if I am real bored I wait through the robot for the human to sell me something...or notice me I won a trip to Florida/Bahamas/etc

I polity listen and when he takes a breath I claim to be willing to listen to the entire sales pitch IF he is willing to listen to my sales pitch...silence for a few-- then he asks...What?..I state...You just connected to a time share telemarketer for Hilton, and we are both getting paid for the call...instant hang up, and I assume placed on the do not call list

I once kept a guy selling me a camping site time share for three hours

But the Best deal I ever got.... telemarketer wanted to sell me home site in Greenville NC golf course and offers a free golfing weekend and $50 cash on arrival for travel...AND a free 19"color TV...just have to sit through 90 min presentation...spouse MUST be present

My golfing buddy, Vic Terado was game so we signed up and arrived as a Male Male couple..1987..Wee got carts, nice room, mini bar, and we golfed and ate all weekend for free--- and never were invited to the sales seminar...made $50 and a el cheapo 19"TV as well...the Prime Rib and  King Crab was DELICIOUS!

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
Why are some people so afraid to let us know where they might be located?   In a way I know why a few are.    Yes I have my address in my posts.  Will need to verify phone number again and I try to respond to PM's when I get one.

It's a matter of risk management, John. Some are better than others at it. If you look, I have a "Linkd In" link below my name in my posts. You cannot tell from my profile but I manage several "high profile" programs as well as a couple very, very, very low profile ones. I do not have a FB page, don't use Yahoo, and just exercise caution. I even have to be debriefed annually on my internet usage which is analyzed and a risk profile results. This post will probably show up on it.

It's no big deal if you are FULLY aware of the risk and how to manage it. For some people, it's just not worth the potential hassle and I understand that completely. 
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:06 PM »
City & state isn't enough to reliably drop a smart bomb on someone, unless you have a big one.  For instance, Oregon City, OR, would put your bomb several miles from here, over really hilly country -- I don't think you could hurt me with a Hiroshima-sized nuke dropped on OC, at least not immediately.  But my way provides a nice convenience in this regard.

So, Tim...is your posted Lat/Lon for your house or for OC? If it's your house, couldn't Mike & Frank ("American Pickers") show up, wanting to buy your treasured antiques? It'd make an interesting episode, I bet.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:01 PM »
Sorry, no offense intended, but that is pure BS Randy! There are credit monitoring software, and Life Lock and others, but the sales pitch is better than the product, and most just alert you after the horse is already out of the barn, and assist you in rebuilding your life after the fact.

If you are in the public eye, or own a business, your profile is a matter of public record and you have to bite the bullet and your info is "out there". But putting your personal info into additional areas of the internet where and when unnecessary is just making it easier to be a target. And even businesses, smart ones, use a P.O. Box on their web page, and either use a graphic of their info@ email address, or better still, do NOT publish their email addresses on their web page at all, they make you fill out a FORM to request info. This stops a huge amount of SPAM. And SPAM is where much of the phishing comes from. So they don't have to worry about their secretary opening some email and clicking a link by mistake and getting their server encrypted by ransomware, or letting some key-logger get their passwords.

The weak link is the organics (humans) involved, and falling for something you think is legit. We all have come close or actually have fallen for these ruses, and it is easier when they can affect a more realistic ploy.

It is easy to laugh at the Nigerian Prince who wants to send you millions, just give him your bank account number to wire you funds... but how about this one:

I got a FB request the other day from well known stunt flyer. It even had a picture of him with his plane as his avatar. It was NOT him, I am already friends with him....and if I had accepted, I would have been friends with 2 of the same person, 1 nice stunt guy extraordinaire, and 1 criminal fake, looking to invade my personal life and gain access to me. This is the new reality, the one thing we always feared. Smarter criminals.

Look at the Yahoo hack this month... happened 2 years ago, just finding out now. People who did NOT fill out their profiles fully just have to change their password, or all their passwords on everything they use, if that password is not unique to just Yahoo. People who put in their birthday, favorite color, etc etc etc. are now having to sweat a real chance of identity theft.

Please don't mislead people into an utterly false sense of security, you are not doing them any favors.

Eric

Sorry, No offense intended, but that's pure fear mongering BS, and simply doesn't happen with your data "out there" any more than it happens if you try to conceal it.  You need to protect your data by protecting the source of your data, Your computer.  You cannot conceal yourself in our modern society.  It's completely impossible.  Your identity is known in a thousand places within the system, trying to hide on a forum like this is ludicrous.  Many Bank computers are hacked, stolen, etc every day!   The Social Security System has been compromised several times in the past decade or so.  Government entities like the NSA know how many moles you have on your A$$ from your medical records that must now be given to that same Government as a result of "Affordable Care" (that incidentally is not affordable).  But, you're going to hide by concealing your name,  City, and State on a Model Airplane Forum.... That's laughable!
Famous idiots within the government disclose what's supposed to be Top Secret data, and you're worried about them finding out you're on a modeling forum and your name is such an such, and you're in Tucson AZ and you fly model airplanes... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Incidentally, I'm not trying to lead anyone into a false sense of security, in my opinion you are by thinking that such nonsense as hiding on a model airplane forum, or any other forum for that matter is protecting them from anything!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »
Sorry, No offense intended, but that's pure fear mongering BS, and simply doesn't happen with your data "out there" any more than it happens if you try to conceal it.  You need to protect your data by protecting the source of your data, Your computer.  You cannot conceal yourself in our modern society.  It's completely impossible.  Your identity is known in a thousand places within the system, trying to hide on a forum like this is ludicrous.  Many Bank computers are hacked, stolen, etc every day!   The Social Security System has been compromised several times in the past decade or so.  Government entities like the NSA know how many moles you have on your A$$ from your medical records that must now be given to that same Government as a result of "Affordable Care" (that incidentally is not affordable).  But, you're going to hide by concealing your name,  City, and State on a Model Airplane Forum.... That's laughable!
Famous idiots within the government disclose what's supposed to be Top Secret data, and you're worried about them finding out you're on a modeling forum and your name is such an such, and you're in Tucson AZ and you fly model airplanes... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Incidentally, I'm not trying to lead anyone into a false sense of security, in my opinion you are by thinking that such nonsense as hiding on a model airplane forum, or any other forum for that matter is protecting them from anything!

Randy Cuberly

I'm going to laugh my ass off when you get hacked...
Steve

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
I'm going to laugh my ass off when you get hacked...

Won't happen Steve...I have nothing anyone would want.  Oh and also I will hunt them down and make them very sorry!  No matter where they are .  Remember you can't hide today!

Just type your name into any of the search engines and see what's there!

Phhhttttttt!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »
  I love the app on most smart phones,tablets that you can use so your friends know where you are. Then when you are away others can rob you.
Na I don't use it.
Listen to Eric as he the MAN when it comes to computer virus. :!
Ed

Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Earlier this year, I got notified that my Medicare supplemental insurance got their computer hacked and information may have been obtained. This week, I got a notice from a company in Austin TX that their computer was hacked and information may have been obtained about me, BUT NOT my credit card info. They are the contractor that does online sales for fishing licenses.

If you have to buy a fishing license, it's often difficult to find a brick & mortar source, even in lakefront resort towns. Why? The States/Provinces simply want all sales be done by computer, I expect because it's easier and cheaper for them to keep track of statistics and money.  If a store or resort does it, they usually only make a $1-$2 sellers fee, and it's not enough to be worth their trouble. So, if you need to get a fishing license...your state, other state, Mexico or Canada, you are pretty much forced to get it done from home computer, so you are forced to plan your vacations very carefully for out of state licenses that will be valid for short duration,  whatever options the states/provinces provide. I think it kinda sux to have to plan a vacation that closely.   

Looks to me like it won't be long before all shopping is done online. You can already order your groceries online and have them delivered. About any kind of food can be ordered online and delivered, presumably hot or at least warm. I don't know of any alcohol stores that deliver, but I reckon it's coming soon, and is probably available in some places right now.

So how important could it possibly be to NOT post your real name and city/state of residence on Stunt Hangar?   LL~ Steve 

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56:58 PM »
Earlier this year, I got notified that my Medicare supplemental insurance got their computer hacked and information may have been obtained. This week, I got a notice from a company in Austin TX that their computer was hacked and information may have been obtained about me, BUT NOT my credit card info. They are the contractor that does online sales for fishing licenses.

If you have to buy a fishing license, it's often difficult to find a brick & mortar source, even in lakefront resort towns. Why? The States/Provinces simply want all sales be done by computer, I expect because it's easier and cheaper for them to keep track of statistics and money.  If a store or resort does it, they usually only make a $1-$2 sellers fee, and it's not enough to be worth their trouble. So, if you need to get a fishing license...your state, other state, Mexico or Canada, you are pretty much forced to get it done from home computer, so you are forced to plan your vacations very carefully for out of state licenses that will be valid for short duration,  whatever options the states/provinces provide. I think it kinda sux to have to plan a vacation that closely.   

Looks to me like it won't be long before all shopping is done online. You can already order your groceries online and have them delivered. About any kind of food can be ordered online and delivered, presumably hot or at least warm. I don't know of any alcohol stores that deliver, but I reckon it's coming soon, and is probably available in some places right now.

So how important could it possibly be to NOT post your real name and city/state of residence on Stunt Hangar?   LL~ Steve 

Yes Steve...My point exactly!  There's enough fear mongering around today with out worrying about modeling forums!  HB~> HB~>

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 01:53:18 AM »
Why are some people so afraid to let us know where they might be located? 
Anonymity is a powerful tool, you can say almost anything without recompense.

(I know, I do it quite often.) :)

Anyway, all posts should be considered on just content, not location, age, experience, gender blah,blah,blah ......... (if that is what you are getting at.)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Eric Viglione

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 08:45:12 AM »
Hey, it is still a free country (for now), do as you please.

And to set the record straight for those with reading comprehension issues, I never said anything about just putting in basic rough location info being a problem. What I DID respond about was a software glitch that the forum had when you put your zip in your profile, making SH run slow, and many people never put it back later after it was fixed. Doc asked, I answered.

Then, as long as I was at it, I also said that there are those who can’t avoid having a fully public digital presence, and those people just have to bite the bullet and take the proper precautions. Then I went on to caution those that do have a choice, about filling out unnecessary additional information on social boards like this one, FB, etc.

With your logic, you might as well go to the Nat’s for 2 weeks and leave a sign in your front yard saying you are away.  I mean, hey, they might notice your mail delivery stopped, and there isn't a lock that can't be picked. Right?

This is not “fear mongering”, you need lose the defeatist attitude and learn about something in the industry called “Best Practices” and “Due Diligence”. I work in this field, and worse yet, lawyers are my taskmasters. "Due diligence" In this situation means the care that a reasonable person exercises to avoid harm to self or others.

There are several levels of crooks involved in privacy/identity/theft now. Some crude and easily avoided, some automated, and some very slick, advanced. If you can prevent the simple stuff from falling into the hands of the less advanced crooks, or avoid a malware infection and data loss by adhering to “best practices”, you have done your minimal part.

I have no regrets in my posting the previous info, since I feel I have done my own due diligence in replying to Doc’s original question and attempting to help my C/L friends. Do with the info as you please, my conscience is clear.
EricV

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »
Order almost anything on line. Yep, even a Russain, Korean, Polish bride, etc. Wonder what one costs?  How long do they last? LL~ LL~

As long as your money does!
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 10:10:19 AM »
In reality city and state is all I need.   I already have had several people call and come visit because of my info on my posts.   My dear old Dad would always say that locks are to keep the honest people out.   I have always considered that if some one wants something bad enough they will get/take it.  Christmas time is worst time of year for break ins and theft, especially in shopping centers with people that don't have a way to hide purchases.    From experience any thing in my spam e-meil list is deleted with out opening it. 

Any body local to me, we need to get together and start using the new circle.  If we are there more often we maybe can catch the brainless twit that keeps doing circles/ruts with his vehicle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 11:24:15 AM »
Hey, it is still a free country (for now), do as you please.

And to set the record straight for those with reading comprehension issues, I never said anything about just putting in basic rough location info being a problem. What I DID respond about was a software glitch that the forum had when you put your zip in your profile, making SH run slow, and many people never put it back later after it was fixed. Doc asked, I answered.

Then, as long as I was at it, I also said that there are those who can’t avoid having a fully public digital presence, and those people just have to bite the bullet and take the proper precautions. Then I went on to caution those that do have a choice, about filling out unnecessary additional information on social boards like this one, FB, etc.

With your logic, you might as well go to the Nat’s for 2 weeks and leave a sign in your front yard saying you are away.  I mean, hey, they might notice your mail delivery stopped, and there isn't a lock that can't be picked. Right?

This is not “fear mongering”, you need lose the defeatist attitude and learn about something in the industry called “Best Practices” and “Due Diligence”. I work in this field, and worse yet, lawyers are my taskmasters. "Due diligence" In this situation means the care that a reasonable person exercises to avoid harm to self or others.

There are several levels of crooks involved in privacy/identity/theft now. Some crude and easily avoided, some automated, and some very slick, advanced. If you can prevent the simple stuff from falling into the hands of the less advanced crooks, or avoid a malware infection and data loss by adhering to “best practices”, you have done your minimal part.

I have no regrets in my posting the previous info, since I feel I have done my own due diligence in replying to Doc’s original question and attempting to help my C/L friends. Do with the info as you please, my conscience is clear.
EricV

Sorry Eric but it is "Fear Mongering", sometimes promoted by those that want to sell you something to "prevent" something that will happen or it won't.
Incidentally if you actually knew me you would realize that I'm about the least "Defeatist" guy you could know.  I take care of the things that matter and simply don't believe in worrying about the ones that you can't do anything about.

Also, while there's nothing wrong with "due diligence", as a professional you of all people realize that it's probably useless in today's IT world.

A computer can be protected from most "hacking" attempts and "crawlers" and Spam and spyware.  However if the "real" pros want you they can get you in a thousand different ways that are a lot easier than hacking a reasonably protected computer!

Most "fear mongering" is done by the people trying to sell you something to protect you from "THEM".

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Eric Viglione

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
And what exactly am I trying to sell you? Wow! Just.... wow...

What I am giving, FREE, is the advice that the weak link in the chain is the HUMAN factor, that YOU can remedy YOURSELF for FREE, by limiting unnecessary exposure through due diligent use of best practices.

It is a FACT that most hacks happen because of a chain of events involving bad decisions made by living breathing PEOPLE. It is a FACT that the Government hacks you love to espouse were enabled mostly by HUMANS clicking in PHISHING emails, because those humans received them as SPAM. The way you reduce the quantity of SPAM is by methods I described and others. It is part of risk management, which is a numbers game.

I can see you are being willfully ignorant or obstinate now and just having fun, so I am only posting this for the benefit of others.  I am otherwise done with this thread. Knock yourself out, and I will be on the side lines with Fitton, waiting to laugh my ass off.

EricV

Sorry Eric but it is "Fear Mongering", sometimes promoted by those that want to sell you something to "prevent" something that will happen or it won't.
Incidentally if you actually knew me you would realize that I'm about the least "Defeatist" guy you could know.  I take care of the things that matter and simply don't believe in worrying about
Also, while there's nothing wrong with "due diligence", as a professional you of all people realize that it's probably useless in today's IT world.

A computer can be protected from most "hacking" attempts and "crawlers" and Spam and spyware.  However if the "real" pros want you they can get you in a thousand different ways that are a lot easier than hacking a reasonably protected computer!the ones that you can't do anything about.

Most "fear mongering" is done by the people trying to sell you something to protect you from "THEM".

Randy Cuberly

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »
In reality city and state is all I need.  

Why?
 Why is it needed at all?

This is a forum and as such just a collection of opinions and providing ANY descriptors leading to a source gives bias.

Such as -
"Oh, I know that guy and would not trust his opinion as far as I can throw him," even though it could be good advice - singular bias.
"Another whinger from 'insert location', I am sick of them,"- collective bias.

Experience colors everything.

And some forums give ranking based on post volume - why?
I could spam a forum, get a great ranking and then post believable crap - believable because of my high rank.
(And yes, it happens here.)

Same as join date, the longer someone survives a forum the more they seem to be valued.

Some posters simply don't want conflict and wish to remain totally anonymous.

I don't get the need to qualify who or where you are when the emphasis should be on the quality of the words only.

P.S Why the heck am I a 6 star Admiral when I haven't flown since 1977?
Is it because its based on what I say and not who or where I am - if not then it should be.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »

Great idea !

Robert;

I just did this to my wife and she hung up on me!  LL~ LL~ LL~ Then I told her and she said "Was that you?"  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Can't wait to do this to a telemarketer!

GA

Another fun thing to do to telemarketers on a boring rainy day is to take them for a ride.  See how long you can keep them on the line answering questions, misunderstanding, going back to the beginning, etc.  Once I managed to get to the floor manager, and then even to his boss.  Felt good when the guy hung up on me.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Why?
 Why is it needed at all?

It's so that rare beasts like ourselves can find flying buddies, who might be just down the street, but unknown to us. I thought that was pretty clearly the reasoning!

This is a forum and as such just a collection of opinions and providing ANY descriptors leading to a source gives bias.

Such as -
"Oh, I know that guy and would not trust his opinion as far as I can throw him," even though it could be good advice - singular bias.
"Another whinger from 'insert location', I am sick of them,"- collective bias.

Experience colors everything.

And some forums give ranking based on post volume - why?
I could spam a forum, get a great ranking and then post believable crap - believable because of my high rank.
(And yes, it happens here.)

Same as join date, the longer someone survives a forum the more they seem to be valued.

Some posters simply don't want conflict and wish to remain totally anonymous.

I don't get the need to qualify who or where you are when the emphasis should be on the quality of the words only.

P.S Why the heck am I a 6 star Admiral when I haven't flown since 1977?
Is it because its based on what I say and not who or where I am - if not then it should be.

Nobody cares about that chit. Why don't you go fly? I tried to fly Saturday, but only flew Sunday, 'cause some 1:1 Scale planes were parked where we fly on Saturday. Howard flew Monday night, but he didn't tell me he was going. I probably would have gone. Not sure if his dog flew or not, because he reported that one engine was running ratty. He was even flying a greaser, so my greaser wouldn't have tainted his duds all that much more. Get a dog out and fly! Call Dave Simons and drag him out to smell the castor...or synthetic!    #^ Steve

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
Why don't you go fly?

Because I really don't want to again ....... just yet.

Its a hobby, I choose the when, where and why.

If you want particulars about a poster then PM is the way to go with a post like "Any one in the X area like to go flying, please reply via PM."

All respect to you Steve for 'doing' but I am not at that stage yet.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »
Because I really don't want to again ....... just yet.

Its a hobby, I choose the when, where and why.

If you want particulars about a poster then PM is the way to go with a post like "Any one in the X area like to go flying, please reply via PM."

All respect to you Steve for 'doing' but I am not at that stage yet.

Cheers.

I think it illogical expecting everybody to PM all those who don't put their city/state/province on their profile. It would take hundreds, if not thousands of PM's for some guy in E. Bumf'k to find a flying buddy in his hood. Makes no sense, when the obvious is so easy and straight forward. Goes against my Vulcan/German genes, I guess.  y1 Steve

PS: Those were my 5th > 7th flights of the year. I was in a funk due to the FAA registration bullshit. Or, maybe I was afraid of being arrested by the FAA's police and going to the Federal Pen for the rest of my life? Nah, I'm married to a witch. What could be worse than that?

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »

Eric

+1

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
I think it illogical expecting everybody to PM all those who don't put their city/state/province on their profile

I agree with the above but its not how I would go about it Steve.

If I wanted to ask a question as to who wants to fly with me then I would go and ask it rather than spamming it as a footnote.

Because even if you get an answer a trail of PM's are sure to follow anyway, when can you make it, what do you fly, hows the weather down your way etc.
In a way you are cutting out the middle man with a direct question.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
Well, no. I don't live in E. Bumf'k. I live in W. Bumf'k, and everybody in my area knows where that is. My name, address, and phone number are in the phone book, because I don't pay $$ to keep it sekrit. That, and we have two different phone book companies and nobody uses either except very, very rarely, for the yellow pages.

For the record, I prefer a phone call to endless texting and emails. One text or PM always leads to more questions, so why do all that crap? I text my fishing buddy that I'm leaving for his house at o'dark thirty, and he does the same when he's going to be picking me up. That's useful. Endless texting, emails and PM's makes no sense at all. Phone still works!

However, if anybody happens to live in the PNW and wants a flying buddy, they can send me a PM and I may be able to point them to somebody closer than me. You can do as you please, but it's not me. If you're ever in Renton, you can call me. Be sure to PM me to get my phone number!   LL~ Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here