News:

• April 24, 2024, 02:05:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whipit Plane  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Whipit Plane
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
I saw a video some time ago of a whipit plane.

I would like to build one for a good friend's grandson.

Does anyone have a set of plans?

Thanks in advance.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Whipit Plane
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:58 AM »
Hey Paul,  Just a quick search I came up with this.  Here's the link http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/f-84g-thunderjet-july-1970-AAM.htm

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
Jim Walker sold a kit for a whip powered P-39 back about 1945, it used a bellcrank just like we do today, flew on two fishlines using a fishing pole. I had one of these and I could do simple up and down, Jim W could probably get his to loop and maybe fly inverted. I'm sure one could today. Model had about an 18" span, sheet balsa wings, profile fuselage. You could knock out one of these as a small size (Your favorite stunt ship) very easily. 

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
Thanks Joe and Don!

I now have something to put on my build table.  #^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
Several years ago, Allen Brickhaus had some articles about these planes and had a group of local kids he worked with teaching them to fly these type models and then graduated them to powered models.  Allen was great about helping youth.  You might do a search on here and the other forum and see if you can come up with anything.  It has been a while and I honestly don't remember where Allan was publishing this work...

Mike

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »
Here's Chris Wardell's whip powered ringmaster (tiny)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
I have in the shop a Blackhawk P-39 whip powered plane I've yet to fly.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
Any 1/2A will work fine. When I was a ute, I whipped my 1/2A Half Fast around in the front yard, over in Pullman, WA. Yah, that's where we exiled Mark Scarborough to. Deservedly so, I might add. Not the house, the town. He's a lucky fella...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
Hey Paul,  Just a quick search I came up with this.  Here's the link http://www.airplanesandroc it. kets.com/airplanes/f-84g-thunderjet-july-1970-AAM.htm

WOW Joe! That's amazing. My dad made me one of those (Thunder Jet) waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the late forties!

I had a blast with it. Can't remember what ever happened to it but....

Hope your grandson has fun with it.

Jerry

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
Paul,

Interesting subject.

The article that Joe Bowman introduced above on the F-84 is excellent and is a good introduction to build and fly one of these models.

There are several others that have been published over the years.  These are all about the same size as the F-84 and show the same type of "propulsion" rod and bellcrank/pushrod control as the F-84.

Walt Musciano's book, Building and flying Scale Model Aircraft, has an article and 1/2 full size plans for the Bell X-1 Rocket.  A neat package.

The Sep 78 issue of Model Builder magazine had an article by Dave Kingman for a whip control model he called the Cobra.  Full size drawings and similar control system.

The Jan 79 issue of Model Aviation had an article by John Hunton for an F-15 whip control model.  Plans were not full size but could easily be enlarged to whatever size you want.  Capable of loops and inverted flying.

There may be more in the magazines, but this is what I have.  Based on any of these, one could develop his own design with little trouble.

If anyone is interested, I can try to scan these drawings and post here.  Or, I can mail a copy if anyone wants.  The only thing is that the F-84 article does everything that these others do.  Plus that F-84 is really a neat looking model.  (Well, they all look pretty neat.)

Keith

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »
 More great info.
Keith I will see if I can down load the MA issue.

Thanks again guys!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 06:32:56 PM »
Black hawk models has the Jr Ace  3 pack.  It is a "dumb" whip model (no controls) , a whip model with controls and a glider that requires extensive airfoil shaping.  I bought a set before the company changed hands, but the new website lists this kit now.

For not having controls the "Polish Hawk" is surprisingly capable.

Phil

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
   If I remember correctly, didn't Davey Slagle win the first C/L stunt NATS with a Walker whip powered model? I have a AJ Aircraft replica kit. The F-84 is a neat model and was actually a "second time around" for that model as it was presented in Air Trails years earlier, mid-fifties I think. I have always wanted to build the Musciano X-1 ever since I first check that book out of the library as a kid. I flew one of the AJ Aircraft replicas for a customer at the hobby shop once, years ago, in order to demonstrate how the system works. Great way for kids to get started if Mom or Dad doesn't want a child to mess with engines by themselves. A Baby Ringmaster that is set up correctly would probably do the old time pattern with some practice, and it's more quiet than an electric model!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
The Wind Flying article by John Hutton was featured  in the American Aircraft Modeler Sept 1972 magazine.
The plane used was a Sig Banshee and a U-Reely system.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/resources/wind-powered-control-line-sep-1972-aam.htm
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »
The Wind Flying article by John Hutton was featured  in the American Aircraft Modeler Sept 1972 magazine.
The plane used was a Sig Banshee and a U-Reely system.

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/resources/wind-powered-control-line-sep-1972-aam.htm

Is this the same approach as a RC glider that hits 100 MPH in the right wind conditions?  By the way a two string kite is a fun thing on a windy day.  Also when you get it out the wind goes away and you can fly U-control   LL~   LL~

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 07:20:46 PM »
No, Davy Slagle did not win the 46 Nat's with a Whip airplane. He flew "Chickery Chick", how many of you remember that??. A model adapted from an Ercoupe kit, possibly by Snafu. Heavily modified, it looked very much like his follow on model for the 47 Nat's "Checkala Roma" several copies having been seen at VSC. Powered by Super Cyclone engines. Not very big airplanes, about 46 inch span. Oh yes, the pop music was goofy back then too!

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »
Is this the same approach as a RC glider that hits 100 MPH in the right wind conditions?
Hi, John-
If you refer to Dynamic Soaring, 100MPH is nothing.
RC sailplanes now have recorded speed up to.....

....505 MPH!!!!!

Hard to believe but true. I fly "F3F" sloperacing and F3B multi-task, and even those crack 100 in good conditions.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 11:21:41 PM »
Yeah. Slope soaring gliders are the fastest models of all - 'far as I've heard. Wind energy is truly amazing.

SK

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
AMA 77370

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here