News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:31:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which Lines?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Which Lines?
« on: October 21, 2016, 05:23:52 AM »
Ready to order a set of Tom Morris lines. Going with the 7 strand but not too sure on the Diameter and the length....

Hoping to use for both the Ring Master and a Twister.

thoughts and opinions?
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Which Lines?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:32:26 AM »
.015 dia. The Ringmaster likes 58 footers the Twister likes at least 60. It depends on which engines you are using. Also buying bulk lines and tieing them yourself will save some money.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 05:45:31 AM »
Cool deal.. Thanks Perry!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »
Ringmaster will be with a OS25 and Twister with a Enya 35
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
Definitely .015" seven strand from MBS if you're buying bulk.

TM wants to know eyelet to eyelet length so figure 60' for the ringmaster minus the handle and the plane center to lead out eyelet and you've got it, about 57'? The twister might be best on 63' handle to thrust line but it has a longer wing still, a bit of a compromise.

I take so long to get the exact neutral on the handle that its worth it to get a dedicated handle and line set for each airplane. One less thing to do at the field.

MM 

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
Ready to order a set of Tom Morris lines. Going with the 7 strand but not too sure on the Diameter and the length....

Hoping to use for both the Ring Master and a Twister.

thoughts and opinions?

0.015 seven-strand. Make up sets of 59, 60, 61, and 62 (or start with 62 and work down). Start with about 60' eyelet-to-eyelet on both, retrim as you experiment with the length. Even a foot can make a huge difference. If you only want one set, pick 60', and optimize it for that.

Assuming the a 25LA or FP, the problem with the Ringmaster will be speed. Even with 4" of pitch it will be a bat out of hades if the engine is running in the sweet spot, and probably inconsistent of you try to needle it down to a reasonable speed. In this case, either the "old" 25LA or, dare I say it, reduced venturi (to kill some power while permitting it to run in the preferred 2-stroke). You still don't want an ST spraybar, we have done that experiment and it's too much power lost. You might end up wanting longer lines. 

If this is the older Enya 35 baffle piston engine, you will end up with shorter lines, maybe 58 feet. It's not as extreme as it would be with a Fox (where I would start with maybe 58 and expect to work down to 56') but the same issue.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »
I take so long to get the exact neutral on the handle that its worth it to get a dedicated handle and line set for each airplane. One less thing to do at the field.

MM 

Dedicated handle and lines for each plane is absolutely the way to go. I can't imagine trying to do any of the tricks without a VERY good neutral setting. Saves fuel wasted while flying out a tank or more with a bad neutral. Doing tricks with a bad neutral is risking your plane. That doesn't save money either! Maximize the gains you can make from the time you have for flying.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
Dedicated handle and lines for each plane is absolutely the way to go. I can't imagine trying to do any of the tricks without a VERY good neutral setting. Saves fuel wasted while flying out a tank or more with a bad neutral. Doing tricks with a bad neutral is risking your plane. That doesn't save money either! Maximize the gains you can make from the time you have for flying.  H^^ Steve

Lines are easy to make, and cheap if you get stuff in bulk from MBS.  Hard point handles aren't that bad to make, either, and you can customize them the way you want.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
May split the difference and get 60' to start.   Im not competition ready and just wanna get in the air for now to get the feel of things again..
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »
Do really appreciate the advice and wisdom yall!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 10:14:06 PM »
Way to go James,   remember KISS(keep it simple Stupid) until you get to point you are ready to start getting serious.  Right now I have one set of lines and handle that I am using on four different planes.  Only difference is the up line clip on the planes.   Also I do have more than one set of lines.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 06:30:22 AM »
yep yep.

I do plan on learning the science of all this. I do wanna fly stunt eventually.  and maybe one day fly the pattern lol

But for now just to get in the air and enjoy it.
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here