News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which is your favorite parfume in your fuel? Have you tried it already?  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dear Frends, as was a question of color, engine sound, underwear, white gloves, Elvis-pelvis movements etc. as a possible deviator factor by scoring, up till now nobody shared infos of smells and parfumes used during flight.
Well, I use pure PAG oil instead of Castor, for round 10 years. PAG is good enough for C/L stunt, smoke- tar- and smell-free.
I mixed some hundredth of % different pure fragrance oils:
-eucalyptus (smells like a drugstore);
-"fake"sandalwood oil (Amyris Balasamifera) -good, intensive "men-deodorant" taste;
-genuine sandalwood oil (Santalum album) - most noble parfume, however not so intensive.
-lavendel oil (noble, cool oldschool "Auntie-parfume")
I never tried neither vanilla, nor coconut oil, since I hate them even in the cars...
Most of friends laughed, the engine was not effected, but no one judge reported any influence on my scores...
What do you think about? (Electrical pilotes' opinion not asked now...:)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
The R/C Car bods over here apparently like to add scent to their fuel. I bought some, I think it was coconut, and tried it, but don't recall even noticing the scent.  :-\ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Nitrobenzine ... but that was back in the '50s, and has since been banned (some say it's carcinogenic).

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Mike Bufkin

• Lieutenant
Hoppes # 9

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Oil of Garlic, but It made me so hungry I had to quit using it!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
Nitrobenzine ... but that was back in the '50s, and has since been banned (some say it's carcinogenic).

I can remember a certain member here who's combat plane smelled like shoe polish, he he.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander
Dear Frends, as was a question of color, engine sound, underwear, white gloves, Elvis-pelvis movements etc. as a possible deviator factor by scoring, up till now nobody shared infos of smells and parfumes used during flight.
Well, I use pure PAG oil instead of Castor, for round 10 years. PAG is good enough for C/L stunt, smoke- tar- and smell-free.
I mixed some hundredth of % different pure fragrance oils:
-eucalyptus (smells like a drugstore);
-"fake"sandalwood oil (Amyris Balasamifera) -good, intensive "men-deodorant" taste;
-genuine sandalwood oil (Santalum album) - most noble parfume, however not so intensive.
-lavendel oil (noble, cool oldschool "Auntie-parfume")
I never tried neither vanilla, nor coconut oil, since I hate them even in the cars...
Most of friends laughed, the engine was not effected, but no one judge reported any influence on my scores...
What do you think about? (Electrical pilotes' opinion not asked now...:)

I use "nitro speed scent" Bansai Banana, seems to be discontinued though.
When you say "PAG" oil do you mean the A/C compressor oil?
As for judges being influenced by the aroma, since the judges are usually up wind of the circle they probably don't get the exhaust smell.

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
When I was playing with diesels we tried the scented lamp oil to replaced the castor.   Many fragrances to choose from.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Which is your favorite parfume in your fuel? Have you tried it already?
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
Der Motorman, dear MikeCoulombe,
this PAG (Poly-Alkylene-Glicol) based oil is not from Klotz, and not simple AC compressor oil.
It was developed for heavy duty gearboxes of food industry, for hot environments etc, by our Hungarian Oil Trust (MOL).
Some freeflight F1C friend of us found it. (as it works well by him, above 30.000 rpm, I thought, it will be o.k. for me.)
I hate for many decades cleaning my engines and silencers, and since I use deflector in my engines' combustion chamber, this question became more dramatical. PAG leaves far less (almost no) residues in engine and silencer. But, the engine must be in perfect condition (piston ring!!), because PAG will not "substitute" the metal parts, like burned Castor...

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
...and something about prices: in our country this PAG oil costs twice as Castor, but 1/3 of MOTUL Micro 2T (as I know that purple, aesther based oil is the best brand...)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Interesting concept!  What can I buy at the local pharmacy, in very small quantity?

How about ordinary cheap perfume (alcohol based)
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »
Burnt castor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Back in the 50's I remember the "older guys" talking about putting "banana oil" in their fuel. Were they pulling my leg or was this actually done? The fuel sure smelled good.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »
Dear Floyd,
I do not suggest to use some alcohol based parfume, since it surely contains water. And, as some nitromethane is in the fuel, too, it can easily segregate into two phases... (mostly in cold temperature.)
Pure oils won't make problem.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
Dear Skip,
It was not a joke, I think. Because "banana oil" is Isoamyl-acetate, and similarly to Amylacetate, they are excellent solvents. They helped to keep stable the methanol-castor-nitromethane mix. (nitromethane do not like too much* water in Methanol.)
*above 1-2 %
Some people used Acetone for this function.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »

I used to like (would still if available) the exhaust aroma of Missile Mist. Duke's Fuel exhaust aroma isn't bad... but I think the Missile Mist aroma was better.

I think it's the nitro/methanol/castor combination?

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »
    I  remember Crist Rigotti used to put something in his fuel that made it smell like cotton candy and/or bubble gum, and we used to really razz him about it. We used to keep a display of the stuff on the R/C car counter at the hobby shop but it didn't sell well. Thank God Crist  went electric! That was much more fun to kid around with him about! I said he should add a Lionel model train smoke system to his airplanes so he could add castor oil to that for soe extra realism!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 12:16:48 AM »
Pretty sure the coconut flavor I bought came from Tower Hobby. Probably some still around here. I may even find it sometime. Or not...

The "banana oil" worked as an ignition retarder, like Nitro Benzine, but at a much lower percentage and without some evil running traits. It was also easier to get and less expensive. A lot of positives there!  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »
I like it the way comes  ;D

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
I worked in a hobby shop for a while and the only scent the car guys used to add with regularity was metalic flake.  Can't rrun 6% oil for long without that hot metal taste showing up real soon. 

I used to put cotton candy scent in my Wildcat fuel, but all synthetic fuel smells like aftershave to me.  And there is no replacing a nice heavy ring of Castor on a still day.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
After reading this thread, I am sooooo tempted to buy a quart of Bubblegum scent, and when my step-son isn't looking pour it in the gas tank of his "Fast and Furious" like street racer.

Offline jimmyy

• New Pilot
There are so many perfumes available today, which have some nice fragrance's. But I like extrascent perfume. These perfumes provide some great fragrance..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here