News:

• April 26, 2024, 06:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where to purchase glow plugs?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where to purchase glow plugs?
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:34:15 AM »
       Hi all:

Since we do not have any hobby shops in this area, I must resort to mail order for my glow plugs.  Where is good source of glow plugs?

Have Thunderbolt plugs become a thing of the past?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where to purchase glow plugs?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 07:51:53 AM »
I like Glo Devils from McDaniel RC/Sonic Tronics.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 07:53:24 AM »
Merlin Glow plugs has a broad line of plugs.  http://www.merlinglowplugs.biz/main_page.html

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Dwayne

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:16:54 AM »
I got my last batch of Thunderbolt R/C longs from Randy Smith.
AMA 10663

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
Hi Frank, Brodak sells Sig 003 Rc idle bar Plugs like we all need! Buy them there! You may mail order or drive down to the store and buy them yourself! Take a bunch of the HAMS along and have yourselves a fine day of fun and Hobby Spending! And while you're there pick up a New Catalog for your file!

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »
I tried a few from the low end offering from Hobby King. They are under 3.00 and work pretty well on the tach compares to K&B readings. No blown seals under high compression and good filament life.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
I have 100s  of plugs in stock at all times, however  T Bolt  RC longs are  out at the distributor, I have other T Bolts in stock like the  BiG Bore  and  I have  SIG, and  some  Glow devil in stock as well as the  McCoy hot plugs

Randy

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
       Hi all:

Since we do not have any hobby shops in this area, I must resort to mail order for my glow plugs.  Where is good source of glow plugs?

Tia,

Frank McCune

OS Glow Plug Chart:
http://www.osengines.com/glowplugs/index.html

To buy OS Glow Plugs online:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0097p?P=3&MANUFACTURER=OSM&FVSEARCH=glow+plug

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
Don't know if this is hijacking, but does anyone make a full range of plugs these days, long, medium, short, and hot, medium, and cold?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Don't know if this is hijacking, but does anyone make a full range of plugs these days, long, medium, short, and hot, medium, and cold?

Yes they do  I hAVE most of them instock
T Bolt  has a large range  as well  as  OS  and   Thunder Tiger   Merlin    etc

Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 08:16:02 PM »
Can anybody produce a list of brands that are actually made by Ohlsson Corp.? I know K&B and Thunderbolt are. SIG? Sonic? McCoy? I think they make a fine product, and would like to have options...although I bought a "card" (a dozen) of the R/C and another of the 4-cycle. Have yet to run short or need more.  ;D Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 05:21:51 AM »
Dave, which of the Glo Devils do you prefer for Stunt work? Sonic Tronics is local for me. Thanks,PhillySkip

Online SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
Randy Smith at PA and Merlin Glow Plugs should have everything you'd ever need
as far as glow plugs are concerned.

Steve

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 08:09:27 AM »
Dave, which of the Glo Devils do you prefer for Stunt work? Sonic Tronics is local for me. Thanks,PhillySkip
I use the SOT 300 R/C Longs with the idle bar to help protect the element though the non-idle bar is OK too.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »
Don't forget to buy a whole card of the New OS #80  Gold Plated at only $10.99 each...a Medium plug that will surely add distinction and performance to your now obsolete *Fox .35 or Enya 35 5224 stunt engines

Or just replace either engine with a a OS LA 25, OS #3/7/8 plug and go burn up a lot of relatively cheap fuel

BTW I can still find KB 1L for about $5 on e-bay...these are for all my Fox .36 combat engins

I do use a lot of Nelson hot or standard plugs and wish more of my engines were made for that design...great plug for 5 bucks!

* not Fox 35 or Enya 35 bashing... have a plane or two with each....but once I went to the (still obsolete) more modern engines, I get to fly more with less fussing
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
K&B glowplugs are available straight from MECOA.  Your $5 price may be good or not, depending on which model glowplug you order. Again, they're made by Ohlsson Corp.  H^^ Steve

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/glowplug/glowplug.htm
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
       Hi all:

Tia,

Frank McCune
While you can probably get what you need from Randy at Aero, here's some more info:

Thunderbolt still makes and sells plugs, but the "R/C Long idle bar" and the "4-Stroke plug" are discontinued per their management and website.

Fox is out of the modeling business so whether you liked them or not, no more Fox plugs.

Merlin makes a full range of plugs but no "Idle bar" (if you're convinced you need it) we have found the Merlin #2003, #2003HD, and #2005 to work well in most engines used for stunt/sport including 2-4 break where you might need a hotter plug

Sig still sells the #003 idle bar R/C long plug and many think/thought it is/was the gold standard of R/C longs. They are also one of the only places that still sell Castor and Klotz and decent fuel for U/C.

Mecoa sells the full line of K&B plugs including the idle bar. Others may be correct about O&R making them but if so, they only make the body as I have watched the elements being installed at the Mecoa plant. Same spec and quality as the original K&B's.

Sonic Tronics still offer the #300 idle bar

McCoys are still avaiable but seems they discontinued the four stroke (gold stem), and the MC-55 hot??

While a lot of plugs are/were made by O&R (Ohlson) they are made to the ordered spec and are not all the same. The dia. & depth of the hole, diameter and length of the wire, addition of idle bar, and Finish, all effect the heat range of the plug.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here