News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is Clancy  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Where is Clancy
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
I enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles, it keeps your brain active.  I have done many on the WWW, but then remembered that I have a box or two of puzzles in the garage.  Some are even 3 dimensional puzzles. 

I did a 750 piece puzzle in 3 days, a 1,000 piece in 4 days so how long should it take to do a 2,000 piece puzzle? 

In the bottom of one box was a still factory sealed 2,000 piece puzzle.   It is a picture of the Space Shuttle, ready for launch, in the Vertical Assembly Building. This puzzle is 2,000 (40 wide by 50 high) pieces and measures 28 x 34 inches.  For a reference most card tables measure about 31 x 31 inches.  I have several pieces of Plexiglas that measure 14 1/8 x 22 inches.   4 pieces taped together will just hold it.  I started the puzzle the normal way, sort out and assemble the edge pieces.  That thing is huge!  To keep the pieces from falling off the table I used double sided  tape to add a 1/8 square balsa wood retainer strip around the picture.  Next I sorted the remaining pieces by their basic color and placed each color in a zip lock bag.  That bag of black pieces is heavy (1 lb 2 oz).  I am ahead of schedule, 4 days and I only have that (heavy) bag of black pieces left to put together.  First to better handle the puzzle I separated it into 4 equal parts, each 500 (20 x 25) pieces.  I separated the black pieces into 6 piles according to their basic shapes.  With the color being all or almost all black the only way to determine where a piece fits is to check it's fit carefully.   Is the side of that piece straight or slightly curved!   

I started on the black pieces about 4 months ago and still have 106 pieces to go.  I have averaged about one piece per hour since starting the estimated 600 black pieces.

I will post a picture of the finished puzzle when it is completed.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where is Clancy
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
My late Mother-in-Law liked to do jigsaw puzzles on the dining room table. I guess that's why the TV tables were always handy?

I noticed that jigsaw puzzles usually come already done, so I never really saw a reason to taking them apart and then putting them back together. Not that I haven't done some of them; it's just that it doesn't make that much sense to me. Like golf, come to think of it. Now, bass fishing, that's a noble pursuit.  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
My late Mother-in-Law liked to do jigsaw puzzles on the dining room table. I guess that's why the TV tables were always handy?

I noticed that jigsaw puzzles usually come already done, so I never really saw a reason to taking them apart and then putting them back together. Not that I haven't done some of them; it's just that it doesn't make that much sense to me. Like golf, come to think of it. Now, bass fishing, that's a noble pursuit.  ;) Steve

Not if your the fish....LOL

dennis

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »
About time we heard from you Clancy.   My self I do jig saw puzzles on the internet and I do cross word puzzles.   Of course the wife still says I spend too much time on the forums. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
It is finished!

I have some 14 1/4 x 22 inch panels and with 4 of them taped together the puzzle just fits.  The blue masking tape keeps the edge pieces from falling off.
I assembled it as 4 puzzles and then stitched the sections together.  That is a Yard Stick beside the sections for size reference.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:06:23 AM »
Looks like you are staying busy keeping the mind and eyes alert. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here