News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:03:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner?
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
     Hi:

What works well in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean engines?

Tia,

Franchi

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: What do you use in your ultrasonic cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
     Hi:

What works well in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean engines?

Tia,

Franchi

NOt much will work there, if you want to clean the engine buy a gallon can of Berrymans carb cleaner, it has a dip tray and work great.
You can also use antifreeze in a crock pot and that will also clean the parts of your engine

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
By the way Ultrasonic cleaners are  really the best way I have ever found to clean drafting pens such as the RapidOgarphs or any technical drawing pen that you use India inks in
Use it with a solution of Simple green, best way I have ever found to clean things like pens

Randy

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
NOt much will work there, if you want to clean the engine buy a gallon can of Berrymans carb cleaner, it has a dip tray and work great.
You can also use antifreeze in a crock pot and that will also clean the parts of your engine

Randy
What is the cleaning agent in antifreeze ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Rapidograph pens can also be ultrasonic cleaned using Windex. This was recommened to me by a drafting supply business.
AMA 7544

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
Rapidograph pens can also be ultrasonic cleaned using Windex. This was recommened to me by a drafting supply business.

Yep did that, except simple green works about 50 times better and faster  :-)

Randy

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
I use CLR Oil and Grease Remover....it comes in the black bottle.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »
Just cleaned a few engines tody using something I read about in an FM a few years ago.  Dawn Power Disolver.  Spray it on, let set 4 or 5 minutes, and brushed it off with an old toothbrush and soapy water.  Cleaned off 20_ year old Castor based crud and dirt.
At work, we always filled the US cleaner with water, then put the items or circuit boards to be cleaned in a separate container with usually Isopropyl Alcohol.  The cleaner's manual had several warnings against puting ANY flammable liquid direct into the tank.  And for best results, the water level had to be at least up to the fill line, to make sure the liquid level was higher than the top of the Tranducer(s).
Tony

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »
Just cleaned a few engines tody using something I read about in an FM a few years ago.  Dawn Power Disolver.  Spray it on, let set 4 or 5 minutes, and brushed it off with an old toothbrush and soapy water.  Cleaned off 20_ year old Castor based crud and dirt.
At work, we always filled the US cleaner with water, then put the items or circuit boards to be cleaned in a separate container with usually Isopropyl Alcohol.  The cleaner's manual had several warnings against puting ANY flammable liquid direct into the tank.  And for best results, the water level had to be at least up to the fill line, to make sure the liquid level was higher than the top of the Tranducer(s).

Caution...Power Dissolve will rust and corrode any iron,steel, parts or any other metal that will rust, it will also corrode your alum9num parts,
I have seen this several times with people that used Power Dissolve,  SO make sure you completely take the engine apart, rinse every part well, and then make sure you oil the parts very well before putting the engine back together

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »
     Hi Randy:

RapidOgraph pens? Are they still being used?

I still have my set that I was forced to purchase in 67  to do ONE Machine Drawing assignment!  Boy was I upset! The set cost a bit of cash and for one drawing it seemed like the prof was getting a kickback from the book store!

All of the other drawing assignments were to be done with pencil with NO erasures.  If there was evidence of any erasurer, the prof would not accept the drawing!!!! What a p***k!

I still have my RapidOgraph set after all of these years as a monument to my suffering as an undergrad! Lol

Stay well my friend,

Frank

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »
While working for Harley we cleaned carbs to New like state in ultrsonic cleaners. First soak in carb dip one hour. Then soak all day long on high heat in ultra sonic cleaner with water and lux dish soap. It will come out brand new. From the 1000 carb jobs I have done. Dry castor may need the crock pot with anti freeze first.

The pens I use just the lux and water however Windex added to water works too.
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
What is the cleaning agent in antifreeze ?
ethylene glycol

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here