News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water Based Paints  (Read 1757 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Water Based Paints
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »
About a decade ago I was working in the automotive industry and attended a bunch of workshops on the (then newly) Federally mandated water based paint systems.
One of the supposed drawbacks was that there had to be  large volumes of dry air circulated around newly painted surfaces.....
My friend Walter does some pretty nice paint work here in (humid) Paradise with little change to the antique paint booth in his shop.....
Are any of the finishers here using water base product? I understand that a reliable clear hasn't quite been figured out, but colors seem to be working well on cars and stuff....

Thanks

Have fun!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Water Based Paints
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:40 AM »
I use the latex house paint (exterior grade) with good results and it's easy to work with. But you are right still trying to find a best clear to put down.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »
Rich,

I mentioned using water base paint in the early stages of the building of my Mig-3.

I used water base artist's acrylic. I've Posted many photos and a great deal of text as the model progressed.

Plenty of info at "Paint and Finishing" and over at CFC Graphics vendor's corner, where the build took place.

Artist's water base acrylic has some issues but nothing to set your hair on fire over. High up the ladder for scale detailing and finishing, and I would use water base paints again on a scale model.

For a stunt model, probably not.

I cleared the model with a 2K auto clear out of an aerosol can. This product has been talked to death on the Forum in many areas. I've used it on my 007 Skyfall Flite Streak, that P-40 Ringmaster and just recently, the ARGO International.

I won't change this winning game unless someone comes forward with a better product. I'm always looking for "better," or "easier."

Remember, I've used auto clears on my R/C pattern ships as far back as the 80's.

The Mig-3 didn't come out as well as I expected, but it was used as a "test bed" for these paint applications, including experimenting with vinyl as surface detail.

Good luck!

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
Alan Resinger and Mike Haverly both tried water-based automotive paint on stunters a few years ago. General consensus was that it was a horrible mistake. I suspect that it will work if you want a monochromatic paint job, but using two or more colors isn't practical. I believe those that have tried have all gone back to butyrate, usually with a 2-part clearcoat, even on 'lectrics.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
I believe that the auto water based paints are referred to as "water born"..........

The guys in NJ have had pretty good results from the art store acrylics, but I was wondering about true auto paint....

Thanks

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
Done with water based Auto Air Colors and clear coated with Nelson Hobby water reducible clear polyurethane.  No problem at all with multiple colors including the lettering.  Mask, paint, let dry.  Repeat for each color.  Any problems in the finish, and there are many, are the result of my deficiencies not the finishing materials.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »
The Nelson Hobby Paints are formulated by System Three in a huge variety of colors. 
There are a few basic colors, primer and clear available directly from System Three at a price that is significantly less than Nelson. 

I like the idea of using S3 clear over Auto Air Colors paint.   I will definitely have to try that.

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
I believe that the auto water based paints are referred to as "water born"..........

The guys in NJ have had pretty good results from the art store acrylics, but I was wondering about true auto paint....

Thanks

HEY! Rich! Do you trust guys from NJ? I'm kidding! Just Kidding!  LL~

"TRUE" auto paint, not sure what that is? But I used auto paint and auto clear on this model, painted in the 80's. All I used back then was auto paint. For years and years and years.

Right up until I died!  LL~

Sure, guys were using Epoxy paint, and so did I, but I didn't like it. With my airbrush skills and custom show car painting skills, I DID IT FOR A LIVING, it was only natural that I try auto paints on my models.

All auto paint on this model. Also 23K gold leaf, One-Shot lettering enamel and Don's brushing lacquer.

You can still get 23K gold leaf and One Shot lettering enamel, but when Don folded up, we lost a good product. I used Don's stuff for years on many of the vans, custom cars and bikes I airbrushed.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here