News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:43:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warning  (Read 3590 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Warning
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »
The old DOC considers himself lucky and can't thank GOD enough for watching over me.  This was the annual weekend to my sister-in-laws place to get taxes done.  Slept all day Thursday(9th) so I could drive all day Friday.   The family had car tied up for the day Friday and Saturday so stayed at the house.  Sunday I should have realized something was wrong as I couldn't stay awake and was not feeling good.  The daughter asked if I wanted a sandwich and I said yes.  Finished first sandwich and started second and the ham was falling out.  I could not get my left arm to respond.  I thought it was asleep and I grabbed it with right and moved it.  I tried to get peoples attention and couldn't talk.  Finally my daughter looked at me and ask what was the problem.  I finally got through that I needed to go to the rest room and urinate.  They helped me up and I went.  Coming out of rest room I hot the wall and that is when Richard you are going to the car.   Needless to say I didn't make it to the car.   Crashed landed on my left side, yes ribs are a little sore.  I could get turned over or sit up.  Finally got through to them also to call 911.  Within minutes the Arlington FD were there and got me set up.   One started trying to find a vein while the other one was doing same on the other.   Then the ambulance got there.   They kind of took over and started an IV and all of them asking questions.   I hate to think what I sounded like as I couldn't under stand myself.   At my weight it took almost all of them to get me on the stretcher and a trip to emergency at Medical center Arlington just a few blocks.

That is when the doctors took over and the great nurses they.  All I was told at the time was possible stroke.  Went through same routine again of trying to tell them my name. give us a smile and what day is this plus what is your birthday.   I guess that is when I lost it remembering all our friends who did not make it through a stroke.   I lost count of how many vials of blood they took and still asking me questions.  Glad the wife was there as most of you know I'm hard of hearing and the hearing aid only works in one ear after the surgery on the other.   Any a scan of the head was done and a few other areas.  Anyway Sunday night I was kept for evaluation as I started to come around and was able to move my arm and leg plus talk where they could understand me.   I was worried that I would be stuck there for more than a day as daughter and wife had to get back to work Tuesday. 

So today I feeling mucho better and speaking so much better.  All I needed in my mind was to be released so I could leave.   It depended on the MRI results and a cardio gram.   I passed both with flying colors and was told I could finally get on my feet to go relieve my self.   Those urinals are a pain.   So I sitting hear at Carol Ann's place typing this and soon as we eat the daughter and I are going to fill the gas tank.  They will be loading the car.  Oh I also found out that I'm diabetic and need to get my blood pressure down.  One nurse said she was surprised this hadn't happened sooner.   They also told me I was not allowed to drive.  Have to see my regular doctor when I get home and my oldest daughter who I found out is diabetic will be handling my diet.   May not get to go fly by myself either.

So fellows and gals if you have any kind of dizziness and the signs of stroke don't hesitate.   As the commercial says call 911 immediately.   I apologize to all my Texas for not calling when I got hear as I can't hear on the phone.   So have fun every body. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Warning
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:57:50 PM »
Earnest prayers for you old friend!  Praise God you were with people when it started instead of being at the field or alone in the shop!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »
Wow Doc!

That was a reality check! Glad you're on the mend and prayers for a complete and full recovery.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »

Scary stuff there Doc, take a rest and get well soon.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »
Glad you're ok my friend. We've never met in person,but I've gotten a good vibe from you since my first post. Rest up!....PhillySkip

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:30:18 PM »
  Get well fast Doc! I'm glad that didn't happen when you drove solo here for our contest last month! Hope you are back in the circle ASAP.
  Best Wishes,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
Hang in there, Doc! Many more VSC's to come!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:25 PM »
Get well soon, Doc!  I had a scare in 2014 with a TIA while waiting in the airport.  Nothing happened since and my docs all know about it.
Will keep you in our prayers and hope to see you in the circle.

Fred Krueger

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:27:20 PM »
I'm happy you came thru this crisis. You need to take better care of yourself.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:43:33 PM »
Hey Doc,

Glad you got though it!  You were close by, but you health is more important than contacting us.

Get better our friend
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »
Take care, Doc!
Glad you caught it. Listen to the Docs and take all medications.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 07:28:44 AM »
John it was good you were with the family when this happened.  Get your strength back and don't worry about the flying.  I'll be out there almost daily and Alex is eager and available to call so we'll be sure you don't have to be alone. 

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Doc, thanks for the "warning"  All of us here extend best wishes, prayers and hopes for your complete recovery. BTW I still have a video of you asleep as a Carrier team member at the Chickpea Nat's.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline WR Crane aka MrClean

• 2018 Supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 10:04:59 AM »
Glad you were close to family Doc.  Mend well and soon.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Wow Doc; What a scary story. Did they check your carotid arteries? When they checked mine after a few TIA's about 20 years ago I had one completely blocked, and the other down to a pin hole. They did surgery on the good one and I have been fine since as far as that goes. Open heart surgery 5 years ago after sudden death cardiac arrest fixed a bad valve. So hang in there and take your doctors advice. But be sure and have them check your carotid arteries. They did not check mine for a year after I started having trouble.

So glad you are doing better, and will pray that all goes well with you. Glad you were not at the field unloading ties when it happened. You are blessed.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
Glad to here you're OK, Doc. Had me worried.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
Great to hear it wasn't worse, Doc, and prayers for a full recovery.
Take care of yourself, we don't want to lose you!
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
Doc, Sorry to hear of your little setback. Get well my friend. Prayers! Richard

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »
Very glad to hear you pulled through Doc.  Time to get serious about your health and continue to grace us with your presence here on Stunt Hanger!

Offline Alex Rillos

• Scratch Builder
  • Ensign
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 07:08:32 PM »
John it was good you were with the family when this happened.  Get your strength back and don't worry about the flying.  I'll be out there almost daily and Alex is eager and available to call so we'll be sure you don't have to be alone. 

Dave

John, I am glad you feel better now. Wish you the best and a colplete recover!

Alex

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
How can I thank all of you for your replies other than try to stay healthy  Have a doctor appointment made.  With the daughter and wife sharing driving chores I was wishing I could drive, but had grandbaby in car with us.   Last night was best sleep I've had for a while except mother nature woke me up a couple of times.  Did take some Tylenol after I got home to ease the ribs a little  I didn't think I landed that hard.  Thanks again every body and have fun flying. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline badbill

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
Glad you're feeling better my Friend! Really scared me reading that.
Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
Everybody should be scared in a way. I ignored the signs too many times and I guess too many steak burgers and the usual Ham&eggs plus all the Hersheys miniature candies.  You know the wife got me some low salt chips for the trip home.  I think I can give chips after eating a few of those. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »
Everybody should be scared in a way. I ignored the signs too many times and I guess too many steak burgers and the usual Ham&eggs plus all the Hersheys miniature candies.  You know the wife got me some low salt chips for the trip home.  I think I can give chips after eating a few of those. 

Doc,

I just saw this.

Please take good care of yourself and stay healthy. I wish you the best. You're still my favorite Poster.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Mr. Holliday! It'll take them awhile to get your meds right, but hopefully by summer and flying season you'll be good to go.

Meanwhile, take it easy with lugging the railroad ties. You guys might want to hire some of that done. My (several) Home Depots always have some "volunteers" hanging around the parking lot. Se habla?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 07:10:35 PM »
Hi Doc, God must have been your copilot! Thank Heavens you're getting well again! You'll need all the time now to get yourself ready to get to the Brodak FlyIN again this June! Say a prayer of thanks for your survival!

I've been recovering from Seven surgeries on my right foot back on January 6, 2017 and am hoping to be given the green light to drive again tomorrow! As of now I am wearing a Cam Boot which has 3 air chambers to support my reassembled foot! Would like to become more mobile soon! I hate to have to beg to get carted everywhere! Not to mention my wife is ready to have me become more self reliant!

Best of luck and health to you my friend; Get well soon!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
Hey Steve what's with this Mr. Holliday?   You know better.

Phil,  may not make Brodaks again,  if I do you will know.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
Hey Doc, Glad to hear your keeping your consecutive streak in tack.. KEEP it up !!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
Glad your well and take care Doc.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »
Rule #1 ... 911 NOW! Glad it worked out Doc, but you could have hit the panic button sooner. Best wishes! Get back in the circle ASAP!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
Hey, I was doing good just getting them to know I was having problems.   Couldn't get mouth or arm to work.  It was when I pointed to the sandwich the daughter realized something was wrong.  She too thought my arm was a sleep until she looked at my face.   Finally drove car today to take one grand daughter to work and then pick her up.  Yes I am very lucky the good LORD was with me. :)
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »
Geez!  John, THAT was a close one! 

When I add up all the near misses, close calls,
and just plain dumb luck survivals I've had in my life, I find
that I'm deeply grateful to God for looking after me.
I feel sorry for atheists because they have no one to thank
for their blessings.

John, we'll miss you at Brodak's, so get back 
to normal as soon as possible.

Cheers! - K

Keith Morgan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here