News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video camera set ups?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Rich Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Video camera set ups?
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »
  I am interested in acquiring a small video camera that I can use to video my flights from inside (mounted to my hat?) and outside (tripod) the circle.  Mainly to critique my flights, and show off to my friends what I am really up to!   

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on cameras available, and tips tricks to doing this successfully? I do not use a smart phone, so would want to be able to edit video either on my Chromebook, or PC. 

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
Re: Video camera set ups?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
At one time I had a small video camera mounted to a bicycle helmet. Worked OK  but a bit heavy at 3 pounds. Modern cameras would be a lot lighter. I had a sighting reticle( actually just a small O ring) glued to the right lens of a cheap pair of sunglasses. i didn't make a sharp circle but was good enough so you could keep the plane in the circle and be fairly sure the plane wouldn't go out of frame. Overhead maneuvers did require a lot of head movement to keep things lined up. The weight of the camera did cause the helmet to shift around a bit so it was necessary to keep the chin strap pulled snug with one hand. Probably wouldn't have that problem with a smaller camera.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
Most of the time when I go out and fly, I take my video camera out to look at my flights at the end of the day.  I mount it on a tripod about 30ft from the outside of the circle and have it angled to where level flight is around the bottom of the field of view.  I set it where the judges would be and start recording before I walk back to the airplane to get it started. 

I have been recording my flights since November and using the video camera as a self coaching tool.  My flying has improved immensely because of being able to watch my flights, see what I'm doing wrong, and fixing those issues.
Matt Colan

Offline Richard Imhoff

• 2019 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:19 PM »
I use a go pro type camera from HobbyKing $65 bucks and it as good as a real Go Pro. and spare batterys are 5 bucks. It comes with about every type mount you can use. I have used it for a couple of years now and no problems and the grand kids always take it to the pool for under water action.

P.S it's a 170 wide angle lens

check it out..http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__69443__Turnigy_HD_ActionCam_1080P_Full_HD_Video_Camera_w_Waterproof_Case_AR_Warehouse_.html
Dick Imhoff  AMA 58502

Combat, Racing, Stunt, and big time fun flyer, and Maybe a bit of carrier.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 08:33:13 PM »
 Thanks for the info guys.  I was looking at the Turnigy camera.  They have one that is a little more expensive.  Maybe the difference is the WiFi connectivity.   I really wanna be able to get some combat footage from inside the circle. 

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
I use a Canon ELPH 110 HS for many CL shots from tripod. A Mobuis http://www.mobius-actioncam.com for shooting from the plane. Also a Go-Pro for some shots from inside and outside circle.
POV below with Mobious.
Bottom video filmed with Canon ELPH.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »
Thanks Shug for the camera info and also the cool action video.  I particularly liked the perspective showing the line clips.  You are a gentleman and an entertainer.

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
You need a clown costume and some circus music!  lol  Like that Benny Hill song!  Good stuff

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
I picked up one of these little cameras, I have tried it in the house but haven't flown with it yet. It has a magnetic mounting system so it's really easy to clip to a hat or shirt, but I need to make a mount for the models. it uses a Micro SD card to record the video, start the video and go fly. then after you land turn off the camera and then edit out the extra stuff.

https://usa.ioncamera.com/snapcam/

I got mine at Best Buy

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »
Here’s my HatCam.  I just got a Mobius cam for filming from inside the circle.  I just took a ballcap that I got free somewhere and made two slits that correspond with the slits in the bottom of the Mobius mount, then used a Velcro strip to hold it in place.  I cannot tell the difference in weight with the camera on the brim of the hat.  I haven’t had a chance to fly yet, but I put it on and videoed walking around and driving.  It works great.  Can’t wait for the weather to clear up to test fly the newest plane.

Mark

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:24:08 PM »
Used a GoPro on a head mount and a drone as well.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:42 AM »
this looks just like the ticket.

I use a gopro mostly.

This will follow the subject.   

https://shop.soloshot.com/
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
I've used one of these to mount on the plane for tuft tests.  Its amazing, HD video at only about 1oz weight, and cheap.  I think they are surplus I-phone camera parts.  The size of your car key gizmo.
 https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=808+camera+%2316

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
Good stuff guys!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here