News:

• April 25, 2024, 12:00:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Venturi question  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Tim Thompson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Venturi question
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »
Question about nylon standoff/spacer as venturi. I've read to use them and don't use them. Which is correct ? I  need a venturi to replace an RC carb.I have a nylon spacer that is the perfect size that I need.
I'm thinking that the automotive industry uses nylon without problems so it should work for a model aircraft engine.
What I'm asking for is first hand experience please. Not something that someone said or you read

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Venturi question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:12:28 PM »
What size engine and what i.d. of the spacer? I've used them without a problem.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
Many (most) competition Stunt engines used today have nylon Venturi.  The material isn't the problem.  Getting the opening size and design shape correct is far more important.  Lee' s Machine Shop and others can furnish a proper Venturi for whatever engine you have at very reasonable prices.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:02:32 PM »
Question about nylon standoff/spacer as venturi. I've read to use them and don't use them. Which is correct ? I  need a venturi to replace an RC carb.I have a nylon spacer that is the perfect size that I need.
I'm thinking that the automotive industry uses nylon without problems so it should work for a model aircraft engine.
What I'm asking for is first hand experience please. Not something that someone said or you read

Nylon or delrin is fine for a venturi, as far as materials go. The size and the shape are what matters.

Brett

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
...What I'm asking for is first hand experience please. Not something that someone said or you read 

I made a venturi for a VECO .19 glow from a nylon electrical spacer from Lowe's. I found the nylon hard to work with using hand tools and a drill press. I also made a venturi for a MVVS 2.5 diesel using aluminum tubing filled with epoxy, then shaped. Both work but probably not as good as a professionally made one.

My suggestion would be to get one made for you. They know the best size and shape.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

I made a venturi for a VECO .19 glow from a nylon electrical spacer from Lowe's. I found the nylon hard to work with using hand tools and a drill press. I also made a venturi for a MVVS 2.5 diesel using aluminum tubing filled with epoxy, then shaped. Both work but probably not as good as a professionally made one.

My suggestion would be to get one made for you. They know the best size and shape.

George

I would definitely recommend NOT using this (epoxy) method.  While it might work fine for a while, it risks particles of epoxy breaking out from vibration and being digested by the engine.  Very bad things would happen to the piston/cylinder, not to mention the bearings!

Nylon (6/6 because it machines cleaner), Delrin, or Aluminum (6061 also because it machines cleaner) are certainly the preferred materials.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »

The Thunder Tigre 25 , Magnum 25/ GP  40 , and super Tigre 35 C ( plain bearing ) venturies are compatable with the D7 MVVS , & V c V .

Offline Tim Thompson

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:29 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
I would definitely recommend NOT using this (epoxy) method.  While it might work fine for a while, it risks particles of epoxy breaking out from vibration and being digested by the engine.  Very bad things would happen to the piston/cylinder, not to mention the bearings!

Randy Cuberly

Good thought, Randy. Since I have not run this engine for a few years, guess it's time to get a real venturi. :) :) 

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
There is a LOT of very different ways to skin a cat on this forum and a thousand opinions...

BUT between Randy Smith and Lee's machine shop----- I have been able to tell those 2 gent exactly what engine I had and what airplane and initial prop I planned to trim/tune with

Each provided me with a relatively low cost solution and further advice...like best muffler or number and size of holes in the tongue muffler

In each case ----now, for 6 different engines, the sale and advice fell in line with the recommendations of venturi size and NVA ( IE total choke area) of Tim, Brett, Mark, and others that pay attention to these details and how they relate to a stunt run on some particular engine

So rather than Roll your own...I highly recommend asking Randy Smith and Lee machine shop and between the two put together a near perfect first time NVA Venturi combo that should work well without too much trial and error

Do NOT forget the great advice to try panty hose/O-ring holder as a restriction--- and keep the intake air clean ----while maybe choking down a too larger venturi------seeing as how the recommend intake filters are no longer for sale anywhere

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here