News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turning a safety hub without a lathe?  (Read 879 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Turning a safety hub without a lathe?
« on: April 29, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »
      Hi All:

I would like to take a large safety hub and reduce its size and shape.  I do not have a lathe but I do have a drill press, files, abrasive paper and polishing wheels.  Any suggestion as to how the best way to do this?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Turning a safety hub without a lathe?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:39:58 AM »
      Hi All:

I would like to take a large safety hub and reduce its size and shape.  I do not have a lathe but I do have a drill press, files, abrasive paper and polishing wheels.  Any suggestion as to how the best way to do this?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Frank,

Please post a photo, see what this "safety hub" looks like?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
Our AMA has promoted Safety Hubs for a long time.  It replaces the prop nut or spinner.  Basically, a prop nut with a larger diameter and a rounded front.  Intended to make a smaller hole in someone's head in a "head-on" collision.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
I have a lathe and a mill and over 50 years experience in machining.  I will make or rework yours for no charge.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here