News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trophies/Awards  (Read 3710 times)

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Trophies/Awards
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
There's more and more info popping up concerning awards for competitions...homemade things, tools, clocks, mugs, all sorts of imaginative ideas to overcome the usual wall plaque or plastic bowling trophies. A DMAA club member suggested awarding a set of Don Hutchinson Warbird plans for each 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the upcoming Charles Ash/Southwestern Champs contest Labor Day. At our last club meeting, the idea was considered and we have decided to give it a try.

The plans have been used to build some nice planes (many of them displaying Don's excellent craftsmanship) and his designs that are flying are really doing great everywhere they go. The plans are becoming extremely collectible, showing up framed on office  walls and in many workshops...they look good, not CAD, all hand drafted/crafted.

It's been a little touch and go for the CD to learn how to print plans in the numbers needed for a contest, similar to getting a type rating in a 777, but, with Bill Bischoff's and Don's expertise, it's going to happen.

Similarly, the Racing Events will have Racing ship plans. Hopefully, folks will be happy with their awards, if not, there will be a conveniently located depository for any unwanted plans to be tossed....

Any comments are welcomed, Thanks,
dg

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
Re: Trophies/Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 12:26:45 PM »
 My opinion about awards is that they are to commemorate the moment in time.  So, even if a prize of some sort (plans for example) is to be given out, I still feel there should be something that is dated to recognize the contest.  When I look at my trophies, it brings back all of the memories from that event.   Without that, even though I still have the memory, it is not tied to that specific accomplishment. 

Just my .02 

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
Thank you, Rich.

I think, now that I've got them all made up, that it would be good to write on them somewhere the date and title of the contest, maybe some other info to joggle the mind and bring back memories later on,

Again, thanks
dg

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 04:57:09 PM »
My opinion about awards is that they are to commemorate the moment in time.  So, even if a prize of some sort (plans for example) is to be given out, I still feel there should be something that is dated to recognize the contest.  When I look at my trophies, it brings back all of the memories from that event.   Without that, even though I still have the memory, it is not tied to that specific accomplishment.  

Just my .02  
That's my opinion too. I especially like the ones Bob Shaw made possible for Mark Weiss to give us as awards at the Triple Tree contest at the end of Joe Nall week for the past two years. Besides this gives me a great excuse to show mine off. Most of my wooden ones are in the shop, but this is nice enough to put in the house.
You don't wanna drop this one on your foot. It looks prettier than I fly.
Rusty

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:36:12 AM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »
For some years now, we've been giving a framed picture of the flier holding his plane, with a nice mask with event and placing. Since late last year, the trend has been to make the picture a group photo of all the entries in the class, with all their planes. This has the benefit of being mucho easier to put together and cheaper to print (fewer) pictures. This has taken hold with some other clubs. Nobody has the huevos to complain, a plus!  LL~ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:07:18 AM »
     Good idea Dale!
                       Doug

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »
Thanks, Doug.

If the awards are received approvingly, I'll take credit for the idea, but, it ain't mine.

Hard rock maple plaques was a thought....when one was overstocked with them, he could saw them up into motor mount rails.

We were considering stands with old wooden props that one could spin absent-mindedly, but, Zinger abruptly closed the doors and the wood prop supply dwindled...

Thinking outside the box....
dg

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 09:21:46 AM »
I like you idea ...... I'm gonna go out and practice some more, maybe I can get one ..... maybe I can get past Doug, Richard, Mac, Steve, or John ....

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
The Homemade throphies that the Lafayette Esquadrille use are a huge money saver for us. In fact most of them are made by club members at no charge to the club so the effort it takes to get all of the throphies is not a big deal. I have made 3 for the upcoming Broken Arrow contest and I think Bob Arata has more than he needs. Found some material for 2 more at a local garage sale, still thinking about how to put these together.

Another thing we have done for our speed contest is send our printed awards  (they are mailed out after the contest) with the name, speed and event for each person. The speed guys like this better since it records the speed they flew at. You can store these easily or put them into a 8x10 frame.

Then the other we do is recycle old Trophies, we clean them up and in some cases I have reassembled them into different configurations and swap out the plates that don't work for model airplane contests.

I would agree with others comments that the trophy brings back memories and something to show off. The trophies from the Nats are very fancy and should be, those hang on my shop wall. But I also like the fun ones from our club.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
Attached picture of latest VGMC trophy. I believe Joan Cox did the graphics and had the "frames" done. Really nice, IMO. Likely more expensive than what the NW Skyraiders normally do.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
It's different. But I like different, I think it's worth the shot! Hopefully I'll be able to get one in a few weeks!  ;D
Matt Colan

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
At the Jim Cole memorial contest the Eastern Shore Aeromodelers gave out a pin and a club T-shirt rather than trophies. I liked the idea. That being said I do like having a date to bring back the memories. Maybe a shirt that has the club/contest info, date, class and place you finished might be the best of both worlds. Well, until it wears out.

Many years ago the Middlesex Modelers gave out a large faux marble plaque. At each contest they gave out small brass trophy plates with the pertinent info. I thought this was also a good idea.

Mike

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 12:15:40 AM »
Hey guys, Here is what I'm working on for awards for the upcoming Omaha Orbiting Eagles Contest.  I am custom making plaques for 1st-3rd place in each event.  I started by drawing out a template on cardboard then traced it on a pine board that I had planed down from 3/4".  Then cut them out and so far I have them all sanded and now ready for stain.  Then I will shoot a coat of clear and I got with a trophy shop to make the placards that will stick on with class, place, and our club logo.  I'll post more photos as I go along. I think they will look great and be a unique award for the area.  Hopefully you guys can tell the models the profiles resemble!  I'm making 12 all together for right now.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 02:54:04 AM »
That's what we got at Huntersville the first few year I flew there. The name of the plane is written on the backside in case you can't tell what it is. My wife calls them phallic symbols Lol. This year it was the two state area(known for years as "Metrolina")trophy, with a metal dot for Huntersville. Hard to see in the picture..
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:33 AM »
While it's certainly nice to win other things, having that commemorative plaque or trophy is sure nice to show what you accomplished.

Other the women, and the big big money that we normally fly for, having that trophy sure is nice!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 08:44:11 PM »
Getting closer on my plaques for the Omaha Contest,  Just need to shoot clear this weekend.

Got mine picked out already hahaha

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »
Got them cleared and placards ready to go on.  Pictures don't do them justice, they turned out great.  Have to come to Omaha on Sept 25th to get one though ;)  I made 12 of them.  Top 3 places in Expert, Intermediate, Beginner, and Classic Stunt.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here