News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Todd's White Spitfire  (Read 3439 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
Todd's White Spitfire
« on: October 26, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
   Does anyone know what his 2015 plane weighed?
           John

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
Re: Todd's White Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
Hi John,

The Spitfire weighs 48 oz. 630 sq inches, 58" span. Lew Woolard LA 46. Nice flying model.  8)

Hope that helps.

Fly Stunt,

Todd

John Leidle

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »
   Thanks Todd,
  Dave & I were talking about competitive weights & models yesterday & I tossed your plane in the mix as an example.
            Thank you ,  John L.

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
This thread is useless without pictures  ;D

Enquiring minds want to see (please). #^

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 12:33:18 PM »
Ditto what TigreST said. #^ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Eric Viglione

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
This thread is useless without pictures  ;D

Enquiring minds want to see (please). #^

Ok, but all I have is a quick cell phone pic. I was travelling light that year. (2015 Nat's 180 bldg.)
Eric

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
Pat Johnston design?

John Leidle

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
   Opinions vary !

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »
Pat Johnston design?
I dont think so, I talked with Todd at the Nats and the impression I got was that this was a project of his that had been lingering for quite a while.

It was a wonderfully executed build
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:28 AM »
Prior to test flights, May 2015. Not yet rubbed out.

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »
The detail does not show up if you are walking by, just looks like a simple white model. But there is more to it than that.  ;D

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
The idea was for the detail to be enjoyed but not overpower the finish.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »
Looks like a Spitfire and a Spiteful got together one night....   Very nicely done poster chiled.
phil Cartier

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
I am not a "warbird" kind of guy but Todds' Spit looks fantastic.
Execution at the highest level!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

John Leidle

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:16:03 PM »
  It is a nice example of a decent size plane , light weightweight & mild power supply. Just another approach to the event .The oppisite of my overweight , superpowered planes.
  John

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 11:21:29 PM »
I am not a "warbird" kind of guy but Todds' Spit looks fantastic.
Execution at the highest level!

It's better in real life!

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 01:38:07 AM »
   It's better in real life!

Indeed it is.

The idea was for the detail to be enjoyed but not overpower the finish.

That works very well.  The detail is subtle and the effect is superb.  Everybody loved this airplane at the Nats.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »
Todd, how did you manage the straight, even rivet spacing?
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
Thank you for all the compliments. It means alot, especially from Les McDonald!!

I tried to clip a bit of the post from last years Concours thread to explain the lineage of this model. Having failed at that, here is the short(er) version.....

This model started life as Jack Sheeks Seafang published in Flying Models, Apr 79. I remember when the issue arrived in the mail, what an impression on such a young aspiring modeller! It featured a Genesis foam wing and ST 46. By the time I began construction in Feb 2006 (yes, a decade ago now) the model transformed into a Spitfire Mk XIV with clipped tip, bubble canopy and broad chord rudder. An LA 46 seemed an appropriate replacement of the Tigre, and I couldn't stomach a foam wing. So.... This is a D tube version of Mike Ditrichs Cobra 7, with some dihedral. The only thing left from Jacks model is most of the Stab/Elev outline.

This model went through a very lengthy build for various reasons. When it was finally completed it features my first attempt at PolySpan tissue (thx to Sparkys video and conversations with Tom Morris), Certified dope, and I molded the canopy. This model was never intended to see competition, only meant to be a nice model to put in a pattern (I swear Brett, no joke!). Multiple factors conspired to make this an accidental Nats Entry for me and it was a highly rewarding week.

Since then I have had more time to fly it and get the trim closer than at the Nats, where I put four practice flights in on Sunday afternoon and had a total of 53 by weeks end. Bill Werwage has flown it multiple times and has been complimentary of its performance. Even with "mild power" available. It seems fitting as this model is a very close relative of quite a few Werwage designs. As quoted in the Man and his Museum video, the small yellow Junar is an inline version of Mikes Cobra 7. That model was also a Concours winner in 1994 at Lubbock. Additionally, Jerry Phelps ST 46 Avian was a D tube Cobra 7 that he campaigned around the midwest in the late 80s to early 90s. Bob Hunts Saturn is the same wing, hence Whitelys Shoestring. So you can see I had a few good reasons to go this direction.

This model was a pleasing departure for me in aesthetics, and an exercise in patience and perseverance. As much as I enjoyed the finished model, the first time I laid it inverted from the reverse wingover I said, "Boy I wish this thing had a scoop on it!" And no, I don't mean the ones that Supermarine used. Lol:-)

Fly Stunt,

Todd

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
Todd, how did you manage the straight, even rivet spacing?

Hi Russell,

The rivets are all RapidoGraph pen, I took a narrow strip of manilla folder and marked 1/8" intervals on it, at each mark I carefully filed a small notch with a sharp three corner file. A few strips of masking tape on the back keeps the guide off the surface to avoid bleed thru. The guide was long enough that I could lay out the major lines with a straight edge then work from one end to the other. There was a learning curve in keeping the long lines straight, a few lines were done multiple times.... argghhh!

Since this was my first real finish on a Stunter since 02, I was relearning alot as I went. I began the ink work with the typical panel lines and it looked awfully Boring. Soooooo, I decided to add a few rivets to accent the solid lines. HaHa, then a few more.

I would usually spend about eight hrs give or take on ink work. The first night I started ink on this model, I spent four hours on half of the bottom of the Stab and Elev. Yeouch. I looked up afterwards very excited about the progress until I saw what time it was!! Needless to say it was two solid weeks of doing nothing but rivets. And Rivets. And by the end More Forking Rivets! I can laugh at it now but Holy Crikey that was a lot! They are everywhere, top and bottom. Around the fillets. The AMA numbers took one evening. But! I wouldn't trade it for anything. No regrets, but it will be one heck of a Deep Breath before the next one.  n~

Todd

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here