News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thunderbird Color Scheme  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Thunderbird Color Scheme
« on: December 07, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »
Hi Everyone

I don't suppose anyone have any further details regarding this very old picture of a colorful Thunderbird paint scheme

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thunderbird Color Scheme
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
I remember seeing these airplanes at a contest in Chicago in the late 1950's (I think).  They were truly magnificent to look at.  This lady was a true artist.  Like Ty, I remember them being very heavy and I don't think either of them were actually flown at that contest!

I remember that they were painted with Aerogloss and most of the colors were mixed and not standard colors.  There were many, many different colors...way too many to even guess at now.  I also remember that there was a Magazine cover in color (probably FM) with Janet holding one of them.  If you could find that magazine in someone's collection you could actually see the colors.  I have a fair collection of magazines but not that one!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thunderbird Color Scheme
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
I do not remember any FM cover that had a photo of Janet Eden and the airplanes she finished.

However, FM, Jan 57, had a one page article that had three photos, one similar to the Air Trails photo above and two more photos that showed more detail on the models.  She painted one for her husband, Dave, and did the other for their friend, John Thorne.  Both were different in color and scheme.  The cockpits had pilot Indian Chiefs with headdresses.  Flown at 56 Nats.

FM, Jul 58 had another article written by Janet Eden and her models.  Shows still another Thunderbird with another totally different scheme.  Remarkable.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here