News:

• April 16, 2024, 10:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Third Annual Triple Tree Stunt Championship, Woodruff, SC + Stunt Camp!  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Please drill down to Events/Contests for the latest on the control line events during Joe Nall Week, May 13-20. We are up to 40 registered pilots!
I did read somewhere on here that "the event isn't even being run by one of our own!" I found that comment to be sad. I run it with Will Davis. We are both PAMPA members, AMA members, and do a lot to run events and spread the word about control line everywhere we go.

Anyway, we are going to have a great time in what I call the Disneyworld of Model and Full Scale aviation. Thanks and have fun wherever you fly!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Be sure to send me the scores and who flew what airplanes and powerplants, please.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
I did read somewhere on here that "the event isn't even being run by one of our own!" I found that comment to be sad.

If you point me in that direction, I will be happy to "explain" it to them.

derek

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Howard, thank you and I will get you that info within a couple of days after we are done (May 20th).

Derek, you always have my back! I know we cannot please all the people all of the time. If we can please the 40+ pilots who join us this year and the 250-400 students who come down to take the handle on our little trainers, I know I will be a happy camper. Those who chose the negative side of life will always have some company, but not mine or yours. See you in a few weeks...

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
I washed my "Green Hat" for the occasion!

Don

Offline M. Scott

• Lieutenant
My wife and I are both going to make it! #^

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Mike, I am so glad to know that you and Mrs. Scott will be returning. And, Don Jenkins is washing his green hat! About time....
We have about 41 contest pilots right now and a ton of excitement about that, Randy's Stunt Camp, and having David Fitzgerald join us for the first time.
 And Derek has completed his three year new airplane project! Looks great. Take care and see you soon, Mark

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Looking forward to next week, trailer packed , models ready, Fun Central here we come . Weather for woodruff looks like stunt heaven
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Perfect day at triple tree today.  The Joe Nall is busier than ever ,
Lots of flying today.  More fun tomorrow
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline tom_weedman

• Commander
Perfect day at triple tree today.  The Joe Nall is busier than ever ,
Lots of flying today.  More fun tomorrow
will    just became grandpa TJs and Tamara son came early got to go see my grandson in florida don't know if I can make it will try to
tom weedman
AMA 63672

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Well the last two days have been fun, lots of people are showing up, long distance driver for control line is Rick Huff. 16 + hours, .

Highlights

Ww2 combat yesterday demo twin engine ME  ? against mig , twin out front two cuts to mig 1

Rick huff with twin electric pathfinder with retracts , cool model,

Tom morris Cavaliers everywhere,

Mark Weiss and Bruce Jennings run a good show.

Don Jenkins nice classic oriental ,

Bruce Jennings cobra

Aj firecat crashed twice learning beginner pattern, repaired to fly again,

We flew at 9:30 last night , car headlightsdid not help , full pattern , had one guy iin the circle with flashlight to see mod el thru pattern,.. No alcohol involved .

Firecat in a flat spin at night with flashlight on the wing looked like a quad copter out of control.

Lots of models  flown, lots of kids on trainers, lots of catching up with friends,

One of the top  Rc pattern flyers, team member etc,    learned  the beginner pattern  in three flights, one broken rudder, amazing skills , cool guy, , I think we have him hooked, he spent a couple hours just watching people fly the full pattern .

Fierce arrow with La46 of Dave Wenzel  puts on a good show ,

Lots of retreads show up to tell us there war stories , many first flights in 30 plus years,

The new learning center is full of control line models, Bob Shaw collection is amazing .

Golf course green grass for circles  is perfect.

Added additional circle to keep  green hat gang busy, now with throttle control ringrats

More pictures to follow when we get home and time to edit.

Bronco Mexican restaurant in woodruff is meeting place for many around 8 pm, great food,

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:53:44 PM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
I'll see y'all Thursday afternoon for the Judging clinic... Will or Mark, do you know what time that starts? Not the stunt camp, just the judging part.
And I'll be back early Saturday morning for the contest.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Should arrive Wednesday around 2. Will need some assistance with tent assembly! I think I remembered to pack everything, the truck is full, do I need a fishing pole?
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Rusty,

I will call you and let you know on start time . If will be in the afternoon,

Ray,

Bring fishing pole if you want to fish, but plenty to do and see without one, nice lake, lots of bass I am told .plenty of help there for tent .  just look for one of the green hat gang.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:46:54 PM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
The weather has been perfect and the Green Hat Gang is getting folks to fly control line who haven't done so in 20 to 40 years!  Here's the trainers we are using that Mark Weiss has built and the gentleman flying in the pic had not done so in close to 40 years, he really enjoyed it and said he was coming back!

Don

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
The Stunt Camp was held on thursday with Randy Smith, Derek Barry, David Fitzgerald  and Ronnie farmer doing critique sheets on each flight. Two flights per flyer, long lunch and debriefing between flights.. great idea and thanks for doing this top all participants.

Friday we had profile and Classic,  , great weather , Results to follow when we get back to civilization.  

Perfect weather , little wind and a little overcast ( stunt Heaven )   . lots of flying over the paste week .  BBQ dinner friday night , big turnout , served fast as usual triple tree standard

I shot a short Video of the Robert Shaw Center at Triple Tree when some of us made it up to the Noon Show  . These are of a few of the Models that Belong to Mr Shaw.

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
The WX is forecast to be just as good for tomorrow's Stunt contest. I'm all pre-flighted, Holley and I are ready to hit the trail to TT, bright tailed and bushy eyed. See y'all in the AM.
Rusty

P.S. The Judging clinic was great. I learned just how hard it is to observe, think clearly, fast, and fair.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Results
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Photos
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Great Pictures, Will. A great day too. Y'all couldn't have done a better job making this contest happen. Thanks a lot, you, Mark, all the greenhats, and non-greenhats that just jumped in and found jobs that needed doing. You're an excellent delegator.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
I am still recovering for a very fun  and full week at triple tree, we had perfect western every day and night , camping at Triple Tree is second to none, and I camp at slot of places . Pat Hartness , Mr Shaw and the entire group of the volunteeres at triple tree make good on their theme  of fun and fellowship. Thank you to the entire organization for supporting. Control line .

Thank to all of the volunteeres that worked the circles for training  , both the ringrats , judging clinic and stunt camp. We had a very successful week.  Too many names to mention here .

Mark Weiss continues to grow the event with a continues improvement philosophy that is open  to ideas that will make control line grow at Triple Tree. If you have any suggestions , contact one of the Green Hat Gang ..

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
What a great week!  Im still having to take Advil due to a worn out wrist!  Not only was there continuous flying with perfect weather, but some guys were nice enough to take time from all the activities to steam out warps in wings in motor homes!  Thanks Sparky, it flies much better!

Don

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
This is what makes our hobby special.. Many years of knowledge that competitors go above and beyond to share. No one more than Sparky and Stunthanger.

Luiz  Dutra and his Extra 300 take apart , very nice scratch built model with well done take apart system Long distance from Brazil..  Model flew well in a very tough  field of advanced on Saturday
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:36:10 AM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Rick_Huff

We're still on our way home, but that was an AWESOME contest!  The facility is really world class and all the people involved were wonderful.   I can't thank Will and Mark enough.  Even with the long drive (16 hrs), we'll certainly be coming back next year. 

Rick

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
    • Flying Control Line Stunt
Does anybody have  video of the stunt camp they can post here or on YouTube?

Charles Carter

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Stunt camp consisted of two flying circles with pilots assigned to each in flight order just as in a contest with two world class judges/stunt pilots assigned to a circle.  After a pilot flew the pattern he would get debriefed by his judge and instructed on ways to improve.  After all pilots got in one flight we had a few hours to practice then did a second round with a different judge.  Great experience and I now have a list of things to work on that's longer than my arm.

Don

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Don, did y'all have a sit down "classroom" session too?
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
I worked with a couple guys that were not quite ready for stunt camp. We moved to a third circle to get the models checked out and I worked with them on their issues with the the pattern.  We got the issues sorted out after a couple flights  and put them in the flight order.

After the pilots flew , the judge would spend time with each pilot and go over the critique sheet with suggestions of trim changes, body position, etc.

Derek Barry helped me quite a bit with advice on flying my teosawki. I put in about ten flights after the stunt camp .  With very helpful pointers from Derek  finished 4th on Friday in a competitive class.

There was no stunt camp classroom time that I attended .
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:15:44 PM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Great event.  Three grass circles manicured to nearly golf green standards.  Help and advice from world class flyers/judges, and even the PA engine guru.  Good food, great people, very nice trophies,  don't get no better.  Highly recommend for anyone within a days drive.   
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
This is what makes our hobby special.. Many years of knowledge that competitors go above and beyond to share. No one more than Sparky and Stunthanger.

Luiz  Dutra and his Extra 300 take apart , very nice scratch built model with well done take apart system Long distance from Brazil..  Model flew well in a very tough  field of advanced on Saturday
Hey Luiz, that was a fantastic stunt design you built.  Did you post any pictures on internet during the building process ?  Would love to see more details..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Great event.  Three grass circles manicured to nearly golf green standards.  Help and advice from world class flyers/judges, and even the PA engine guru.  Good food, great people, very nice trophies,  don't get no better.  Highly recommend for anyone within a days drive.   

Heck, it sounds like it is worth more than a day's drive. Just about anyone east of the Rockies should go. You don't get this kind of world-class advice and direct feedback all that often. An afternoon of this is direct input from Dave, Derek, and Randy is more valuable than 1000 practice flights by yourself.

Brett

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Photos

That green Cobra is AWESOME!  Whose is it?

Ted Fancher

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Ted,

The Cobra belongs to Bruce Jennings, it is a very well done Cobra.
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Here's a little walk around I did in the pits.

I've got a flight of that guy in the picture above. I'm still editing videos, so I'll get to it.

I missed a commentary on the Troubadour, Will. Sorry about that. And Gerry Glier's SV22 also, the camera didn't highlight his meticulous lines and rivets.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Ted,

The Cobra belongs to Bruce Jennings, it is a very well done Cobra.
If there had been a Pilots Choice award, Bruce's Cobra would have been my vote.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Pilots Choice Award for next year,  something to put on the list to consider for 2018 .
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
That green Cobra is AWESOME!  Whose is it?

Ted Fancher
Here's a few more photos of Bruce's Cobra.  He does extremely nice work and builds from scratch.  Flies quite well too, outscored me at the "Nall"!

Don

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
I have come to realize and accept that organizing and running an event with the scope of what we do at Triple Tree is "like a box of Chocolates....you never know what you will get." Those of us who just completed our sixth year at Triple Tree in the circles unanimously said this was our very best year! It was the best year thanks to a great blending of the four necessities: Have the perfect venue, find enough quality people to help run things, offer programs that might be attractive to pilots, and most importantly, attract not only a good number of experienced stunt pilots, but a terrific group of nice people who enjoy being together.

Three world class circles, a management team from Triple Tree who are completely supportive, the terrific Green Hat Gang of volunteers...and add two of the top five Nat's Open winners including the winner and the 2016 top Advanced Nats winner. And for good measure, add a wonderful stunt camp led by Randy Smith with very capable assistance from Ronnie Farmer, Derek Barry, and David Fitzgerald. We had 15 entrees in Expert CLPA and they loved the competition.

Making this go has not been easy, but then again, nothing worthwhile is easy. Spending nine days at Triple Tree to make sure things are right is just what it takes and the thank you's from those who attend make it all worthwhile.

So, I want to thank all those who came and flew, judged, tabulated, helped teach newcomers, as well as the many spouses who came down with their husbands.
Thank you Bob Shaw for providing the capital for Pat Hartness and his team to build the "Learning Center," dedicated to aviation growth and education. Along the walls are at least 75 of the finest and best known C/L stunt models. This building wreaks control line!

A special thank you to Will Davis, my partner at Triple Tree and Brodak. You are a joy to work with a call a great friend. Thank you David for making the trip and sharing the message of what Triple Tree is all about. Finally, I want to thank Brett Buck and others who have posted some really nice comments about what happened in South Carolina last week.

Online mike waldron

• 21 supporter
  • Ensign
Thanks to you guys Mark..  You and Derick and Will once again put on a very well run memorable event..  The fields were perfect.  The judging for all the events was the best.. And the time and your own money invested in this thing by you guys for all of us is a wonderful thing...

Thank you and Blessings back..

Mike Waldron

P.S  See ya at Brodak!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here