News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the good Drones  (Read 2039 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
the good Drones
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:18:07 PM »

tried to go flying yesterday but no one showed up so stopped by to watch some RC on road car races, it was just a club event and they had 75 entry's and 3 young drivers ,after leaving there ,just down the road i saw a sign for Drone races, so pulled in ,there was about 100 people there ,mostly young family's ,/they had  a PA system roped off spectator area ,,i asked and they had 35 entry's that's a total of 110 competitors and i cant get two or 3 flyers together to fly

but back to the Drones they were doing everything right but they have to put up with the bad press they get just as we do .so lets not forget there are some good guys out there just as we are
rad racer

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
Re: the good Drones
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:06:10 PM »
the only good drone is a dead drone...  D>K

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »
And here I thought Sean flies "the good drones"? I'd kinda like to fly one of those, myself, Sean! Can I, can I, can I????   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
   Mark the date, and then go back and check on them in a year, or even by this fall. You probably won't see them again. I worked part time in a hobby shop for 35 years, and sold OTS of R/C car stuff, but had an ever changing clientele. There are no really life long R/C car guys that I ever met, comes and goes with the fad. What keeps the R/C car industry going is the almost  constant flow of new sales. But after one or two purchases, they are tired of it and back to the I-pad or cell phone. The quad copter fad will follow suit. They will always be around but very, very few will "stick with it" as a hobby, because there is only so much you can do with it.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:34 PM »
Dan, I don't think I'd ever tire of using one of those drones like Sean flies. There are just too many people in this World that are wasting skin and air.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 03:36:03 AM »
  Mark the date, and then go back and check on them in a year, or even by this fall. You probably won't see them again. I worked part time in a hobby shop for 35 years, and sold OTS of R/C car stuff, but had an ever changing clientele. There are no really life long R/C car guys that I ever met, comes and goes with the fad. What keeps the R/C car industry going is the almost  constant flow of new sales. But after one or two purchases, they are tired of it and back to the I-pad or cell phone. The quad copter fad will follow suit. They will always be around but very, very few will "stick with it" as a hobby, because there is only so much you can do with it.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

I don't get this, if there is an "almost  constant flow of new sales" with fad sports then why would they ever die out?

I don't fly drones but surely they are the most utilitarian of all model flying machines that can gymkhana their way around almost everything.

They are the 3D, stop motion, night or day flying, compact real life version of a video game - how does that get old?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:37:31 AM »
Dan, I don't think I'd ever tire of using one of those drones like Sean flies. There are just too many people in this World that are wasting skin and air.  y1 Steve

I'm certain your opinion would change after 3500 hours...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
But Sean, you and the other members of our military are protecting our freedom and eliminating the bad guys.  How do we thank all of you for that.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
   I'm certain your opinion would change after 3500 hours...

I would certainly not like having to ask permission to fire ordinance or land my drone without striking a target.

Ol' Dad had a lot more hours than that in either OD or silver silos, a lot either freezing cold or sweating his butt off.  H^^ Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 07:58:19 PM »
I don't get this, if there is an "almost  constant flow of new sales" with fad sports then why would they ever die out?

I don't fly drones but surely they are the most utilitarian of all model flying machines that can gymkhana their way around almost everything.

They are the 3D, stop motion, night or day flying, compact real life version of a video game - how does that get old?

There are always new people discovering things, even control line! Kids see it and it's "Daddy can I have one?? PLEASE!!??" And another is sold, But then it breaks, and it might get repaired once, maybe twice, then thrown in the trash or stuff up on a shelf. And these are Ready To Run vehicles. If you try to interest someone in a kit, they turn their noise up at it, so no way they will be interested in maintenance, repairs and tuning. There is absolutely no market for used R/C vehicles, but people will gladly pay up the money for new stuff. People won't work on them themselves, then they find out how much it costs for some one else to do it, then on to the next new video game!. Again, I worked there during the ENTIRE R/C car craze from the beginning to a year ago, and I can't think of one customer that was a life long R/C car enthusiast. The quad copters will be the same, because there is only so much you can do with them. Racing them with FPV is kind of neat, but I guarantee you that only about one person out of 100 or so could even complete the course, and not necessarily at speed of any kind. They will tire of it quickly, then back to the I-Pad or Smart Phone. You have to keep remembering that real life IS NOT a video game!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here