News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:45:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions needed for Ring A Thon: Ringmaster Jr. and Cub .19 engine  (Read 691 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
        Hello All:

In preparation for my first Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon, I have decided to enter two Ringmasters.  One is an Imperial with a Tom Lay .35 converted to a .40 and the other is a very nice Ringmaster Jr. powered by a Cub .19.

My questions are as follows re. the Ringmaster Jr.:

What size of lines would work well with this combination in both diameter and length.  I think that I flew a Ringmaster Jr. powered by a Cub .14 many years ago.  It had short lines and was less than spectacular in flight performance. I think that the prop was a 8x4.  The engine would only operate in a 2 cycle and did not care to maneuver! The plane barely stayed at the end of the lines.

What size prop  would work well for this application? 

This engine is probably new as I can not remember running any Cub .19. It was in my junk drawer and fit the already built Jr. mounts and tank installation perfectly.   It started on the first flip but the run was a bit ragged.  Perhaps it needs to be broken in a bit more.  When this engine was evaluated in a magazine in 1953, it had been run for 1.5 hours prior to being tested.  Most of the engines tested at that time were also run for about an hour and a half prior to being tested. Is this much running needed!  My neighbors will really love to heat me breaking in another engine. Lol

Any suggestions or comments?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Suggestions needed for Ring A Thon: Ringmaster Jr. and Cub .19 engine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:17:48 AM »
Break in of those engines required lots of castor according to the people in the know at the time.   I ran Testors fuel and only ran them long enough that they would hold a good setting on the ground.   Then put them in a plane, open the needle a little and fly.   On planes using .015 engines lines were .012 by 52 foot lines.   I would say if the Cub is broken in it should fly well on 52 foot lines.   I am flying my Ringmaster Imperial on .015 x 65 foot lines with an LA .46 and Zoar 11-5 prop.   Both sets of lines are center of plane to center of handle.

Again make sure you have fuel with some castor and don't run it too lean. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here