News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stunt Camp at Triple Tree: May 18, 2017  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Stunt Camp at Triple Tree: May 18, 2017
« on: January 24, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
We are very excited to announce that the day prior to our Third Annual Triple Tree Stunt Championships, Randy Smith, with help from Derek Barry, has volunteered to run our very first Stunt Camp during the Joe Nall Week (May 13 - May 20, 2017)! We are all very excited about this addition and equally happy that Randy answered the call. So the schedule looks like this:

May 13 - May 17: Two circles for open flying from sunrise to sunset
        May 18: Stunt Camp on two circles
        May 19: Profile and Classic competition
        May 20: CLPA and Awards
Throughout the week, we will continue to reserve one circle for our new CL pilot experience, having had over 2,000 newcomers thus far.
Please join us for as many days or as few as you like. A great venue, the very best circles, and terrific people.
Thanks, Mark Weiss, CD

Offline Dale Barry

• New Pilot
Re: Stunt Camp at Triple Tree: May 18, 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
Best check with a certain white haired gentleman, and I don't mean me.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
I need this)))))))
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
I know where there's 3 trees. Is that the place? Seems too small a facility, actually. D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Schoenecker

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
Where is Triple Tree?
AMA 69021

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »
http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/

Triple tree aerodrome is in woodruff sc , close to Spartanburg sc, 2 hours south of huntersville nc contest ,  this is the home of joe Nall fly inn and many other  modeling  and general aviation events
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:28:54 AM »
I need this)))))))
Shug
Me too !  This announcement may have sealed the deal for me..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
I need this)))))))
Shug

Shug/Allen

I will be there all week, camping, flying, cooking and having fun at the Disneyworld of model airplanes.

Shug,

plenty of room to camp, trees to hammock camp on, nice bathhouses, no roughing it  at triple tree ,

I will bring    Neese's Livermush ....

Fly all day , watch night flyers all night ,   Whooo .. Buddy ..

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:43 AM »
All comes down to my work/show schedule but I sure want too!

Shug/Allen

I will be there all week, camping, flying, cooking and having fun at the Disneyworld of model airplanes.

Shug,

plenty of room to camp, trees to hammock camp on, nice bathhouses, no roughing it  at triple tree ,

I will bring    Neese's Livermush ....

Fly all day , watch night flyers all night ,   Whooo .. Buddy ..

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
This sounds like a cool idea.  Maybe we can have a stunt camp at the new JCT Manor if we can get some name-brand instructors.  I'll bring the weenies and marshmallows. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 12:38:55 PM »
Howard, if you provide the marshmallows, the weenies will bring themselves.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
I am looking  for a place to stay, and not  seeing  hotels  near  the site, can someone who is familiar  with the area  let me know  where  are  good places  to get a room?
Thanks  please   PM   email or   call  me   Randyaero@msn.com

Randy      678 407 9376
2 years ago I stayed at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Duncan/Spartanburg.  I85 & Hwy290 [exit 63].  About half hour from site. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 09:02:06 PM »
Alan, thanks for your info. I am staying at the Econo Lodge and Suites, right off Pelham Road. Bruce Jennings and I stayed there last year and found the place to be more than acceptable. We split the room cost which is $79.95 weekdays and $74.95 on weekends. Tax needs to be added but we think that is a very fair price.
It is right next to I-85 and about 30 minutes from Triple Tree. It is about 10 minutes from the Greenville/Spartanburg Airport. Plenty of places to eat within 2 minutes. There is no shortage of hotels within a reasonable distance from Triple Tree, in Woodruff, SC. There is however a great range in prices. Also check the cancellation policies for your selection. Some let you cancel (with 100% refund) right up to 24 hours before your arrival date while others have zero cancellation policies. If you don't show, you lose your money. Those hotels frequently offer the lowest rates, but, you need to know their policies. Hope this helps anyone thinking about a hotel during the Joe Nall Week, May 13 - May 20.

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Somewhere on one of my posts I mistakenly said that Stunt Camp at this year's Joe Nall Week was Wednesday, May 17th. THAT IS INCORRECT.
Stunt Camp is on Thursday, May18th. Sorry for the confusion and thank you Wes for letting me know. Again. Stunt Camp is Thursday, May 18th, and our Triple Tree Stunt Championship will be Friday and Saturday, May 19th and May 20th. Thanks.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Looking forward to another week  of flying at Triple Tree Aerodrome, home of  the Joe Nall flyin . As we have done in the past 5 years, we will help anyone that shows up and wants to learn to fly or anyone that needs help getting back in the hobby.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:16:33 PM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
Best check with a certain white haired gentleman, and I don't mean me.

you mean check  with him  about having a  Stunt Camp???

Randy

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
Let's see if we can clear things up. The white haired gentlemen received a courtesy email from me a few weeks ago regarding the first time inclusion of our Stunt Camp, run by Randy. Check that one off the list. With this being my sixth year of overseeing the circles that are now sic years old, I always try to do what is correct for the attendees, our new pilots, our experienced flyers, and the Triple Tree leadership team. Based on the award of the Joe Nall Trophy last year, we must be doing a pretty good job.

For those who have never been to Triple Tree during Joe Nall week, a group of us known as the Green Hat Gang, offer circle time to anybody attending the Joe Nall who would like to try C/L. We use little epowered airplanes called RingRats. They can take a hit! Some of these newbees enjoy the experience so much, they come back during the same week and put a dozen flights on until they can solo! How cool is that! That group hit the 2,000 mark last year, something we are all very proud of. All this flying is limited to one of the three circles.

When we added a one day and then a two day contest, that provided a second level of pilots, some who were beginners and wanted help and the experience of a friendly contest. Will and others, including Bruce Jennings, Wayne Robinson (and more) have helped this group learn the pattern one maneuver at a time.

For the upcoming stunt camp with Randy at the helm, we see a wonderful opportunity for the more skilled pilots, those who already can fly an easily recognizable pattern to get to their next level. Of course, this could include some pretty darned good C/L guys. I believe there will be a lot of guys there anxious for Randy's help (aided by Derek). For those who have not yet demonstrated mastery of the pattern, they can be helped by other folks.

The final design of the Stunt Camp is in the able hands of Mr. Smith and we will support his venue. No jokes here please. Venue is a good word!

I hope this has made some sense. Reply, call, email or whatever if I can help clarify this better. Thanks and have a great weekend. Mark

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
Yikes....not "sic" years old! Six years old. So much for spell check....

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 03:34:27 AM »
Yikes....not "sic" years old! Six years old. So much for spell check....

I was waiting for somebody to write "sic [sic]", but everybody's too nice.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 06:30:47 AM »
Let's see if we can clear things up. The white haired gentlemen received a courtesy email from me a few weeks ago regarding the first time inclusion of our Stunt Camp, run by Randy. Check that one off the list. With this being my sixth year of overseeing the circles that are now sic years old, I always try to do what is correct for the attendees, our new pilots, our experienced flyers, and the Triple Tree leadership team. Based on the award of the Joe Nall Trophy last year, we must be doing a pretty good job.

For those who have never been to Triple Tree during Joe Nall week, a group of us known as the Green Hat Gang, offer circle time to anybody attending the Joe Nall who would like to try C/L. We use little epowered airplanes called RingRats. They can take a hit! Some of these newbees enjoy the experience so much, they come back during the same week and put a dozen flights on until they can solo! How cool is that! That group hit the 2,000 mark last year, something we are all very proud of. All this flying is limited to one of the three circles.

When we added a one day and then a two day contest, that provided a second level of pilots, some who were beginners and wanted help and the experience of a friendly contest. Will and others, including Bruce Jennings, Wayne Robinson (and more) have helped this group learn the pattern one maneuver at a time.

For the upcoming stunt camp with Randy at the helm, we see a wonderful opportunity for the more skilled pilots, those who already can fly an easily recognizable pattern to get to their next level. Of course, this could include some pretty darned good C/L guys. I believe there will be a lot of guys there anxious for Randy's help (aided by Derek). For those who have not yet demonstrated mastery of the pattern, they can be helped by other folks.

The final design of the Stunt Camp is in the able hands of Mr. Smith and we will support his venue. No jokes here please. Venue is a good word!

I hope this has made some sense. Reply, call, email or whatever if I can help clarify this better. Thanks and have a great weekend. Mark
Thanks Mark for clearing this up.  The Stunt Camp is a big plus for me, and that's whats driving me to return to Joe Nall this year..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
Hi Mark
At our MCLS club meeting today, Will Davis told us there was going to be a Judging Clinic on Thursday run by Randy Smith. Is this correct information, and is it one segment of the Stunt Camp?

I was excited to hear this because I'm interested in becoming a judge, as my competition days may possibly have suddenly ended. That remains to be seen, and I really hope not, but it's up to my flight surgeon.
Thanks,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »
The stunt camp ran by Randy Smith is  a completely seperate event  from the judging clinic.  

The judging  clinic will be Thursday evening to help warm up  judges and coach new judges before the Friday and Saturday events at triple tree .

This will be the same format as we have done at the huntersville contest over the past few years.
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
The stunt camp ran by Randy Smith is  a completely seperate event  from the judging clinic.  

The judging  clinic will be Thursday evening to help warm up  judges and coach new judges before the Friday and Saturday events at triple tree .

This will be the same format as we have done at the huntersville contest over the past few years.
I would be interested in this also as I have been judging for several years now at local contest.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 10:08:02 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up, Will. I look forward to it, and will double check on the time when it gets closer. Meanwhile, I'm reading my 2017 AMA documents. Trying to get a handle on deductions for each wiggle and wrong turn. One of my flights could probably be a judging clinic Lol.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »

hi RUSTY  &  WILL     

Will is  correct, the Stunt Clinic/Camp  is   separate , however anyone wishing to learn more about  the pattern, judging , etc  are  welcome  to look over the  shoulder of the  judging at  the Stunt Clinic , and listening to the debriefing  after  flights.  I would also  encourage  them  to   read  the   complete section  in the  AMA  rule book  and  ALL  the rules,  and descriptions  of  All  maneuvers
Stunt Camp will  take a long time, and if possible  will  need two circles  going.  This should be a great opportunity , that the Triple Tree C/L group, is offering  for anyone that is really interested  in  how to fly, improve, or learn more about flying ... or  judging.. Precision  Aerobatics

Regards
Randy

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
I am very pleased to let everyone know that thanks to the encouragement from Randy and Derek, Dave Fitzgerald is coming to join us this year! I believe David is coming in on Wednesday and will participate in all the planned events included our two day contest. He is also planning to see all the flight lines, the facilities, and of course, the meticulously appointed hangar with some of the finest restored and flying collector full scale airplanes in the world.Thank you Dave.

We sent our email invitations to all PAMPA members regarding Joe Nall week (May 13 - May 20). The response has been terrific. Online registration for that week is correct, but not intuitive. Here is a step-by-step quick and easy path to follow:

1. Go to the Triple Tree Aerodrome website: www.tripletreeaerodrome.com
2. Click on "Joe Nall Week"
3. Click on "Joe Nall Registration" on the left side of the page
4. Click on "Standard Pilot", also on left side of page
5. Select "Arrival Date." Unless you are spending eight days there like me, change the shown range days by clicking and opening the menu. Select the days you plan on attending. Our events are on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Joe Nall Week ends on Saturday. Except for myself, Will, Bruce, Wayne, and Dave, most folks come for the last 3-4 days.
6. Click on "Base of Operations" and choose "Control Line" (at the bottom)
7. Regarding additional opportunities, the Friday evening BBQ is terrific, 1000 folks getting served in 30 minutes next to the full scale hangar and overlooking
   the property, the lake, and flight flying electric airplanes off in the distance.
The rest of the process is very straightforward.

Please open up the photos and video of the site and Joe Nall Week. I have received a few emails where the writer was given incredibly inaccurate "information" (things they had heard from someone else who had never been there) about Triple Tree and Joe Nall Week. If you have not been there, please visit the website for the true facts. I just don't want someone who could make the trip to decide otherwise due to false information.

Then just shoot me an email so I know which events you will be participating and your shirt size for the contest. There are no fees for anything we are doing.
Mark Weiss: email: ama82824@yahoo.com; mobile (302)547-4917

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 02:34:17 PM »
If the creek don't rise I will be there
AMA 12366

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »
I am very pleased to let everyone know that thanks to the encouragement from Randy and Derek, Dave Fitzgerald is coming to join us this year! I believe David is coming in on Wednesday and will participate in all the planned events included our two day contest. He is also planning to see all the flight lines, the facilities, and of course, the meticulously appointed hangar with some of the finest restored and flying collector full scale airplanes in the world.Thank you Dave.

We sent our email invitations to all PAMPA members regarding Joe Nall week (May 13 - May 20). The response has been terrific. Online registration for that week is correct, but not intuitive. Here is a step-by-step quick and easy path to follow:

1. Go to the Triple Tree Aerodrome website: www.tripletreeaerodrome.com
2. Click on "Joe Nall Week"
3. Click on "Joe Nall Registration" on the left side of the page
4. Click on "Standard Pilot", also on left side of page
5. Select "Arrival Date." Unless you are spending eight days there like me, change the shown range days by clicking and opening the menu. Select the days you plan on attending. Our events are on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Joe Nall Week ends on Saturday. Except for myself, Will, Bruce, Wayne, and Dave, most folks come for the last 3-4 days.
6. Click on "Base of Operations" and choose "Control Line" (at the bottom)
7. Regarding additional opportunities, the Friday evening BBQ is terrific, 1000 folks getting served in 30 minutes next to the full scale hangar and overlooking
   the property, the lake, and flight flying electric airplanes off in the distance.
The rest of the process is very straightforward.

Please open up the photos and video of the site and Joe Nall Week. I have received a few emails where the writer was given incredibly inaccurate "information" (things they had heard from someone else who had never been there) about Triple Tree and Joe Nall Week. If you have not been there, please visit the website for the true facts. I just don't want someone who could make the trip to decide otherwise due to false information.

Then just shoot me an email so I know which events you will be participating and your shirt size for the contest. There are no fees for anything we are doing.
Mark Weiss: email: ama82824@yahoo.com; mobile (302)547-4917
Question, if I register and prepay for the last 3 days only, can I buy a ticket for the Friday BBQ when I check-in on Thursday am ?   Also once I prepay, are refunds available if for some reason I had to cancel ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Weiss

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »
Hi Allan,

Yes. Yes.

Mark

You can get a ticket for the BBQ and you can get your money back if you cannot come to Triple Tree.
Hope to see you. It will be a lot of fun and great camaraderie.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:21 AM »
If the creek don't rise I will be there

Hey Shipmate!

If all goes well I'll bring my new plane and you can tell me what I did wrong!!  HaHa!!  Hope to see you there!

Don

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
Looking forward to the Joe Nall week, stunt camp and the triple tree contest, for anyone that has never attended, you will enjoy the site and  all of the model airplanes . 

The recently built training center is close to being completed, Wayne Robinson sent me a few pictures of the center. Control Line is well represented in the model display in the classroom .
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
More pics
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »

The recently built training center is close to being completed, Wayne Robinson sent me a few pictures of the center.
This training center, is that at Triple Tree ?  What do you know if anything about the Gieske Nobler #2220 ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »
This training center, is that at Triple Tree ?  What do you know if anything about the Gieske Nobler #2220 ?

Hey Allan,

The plane you inquired about is a Bear.  I know nothing about it except that it is a larger version of the G-nobler that I believe Bob Gieske designed.  I got this pic of it a few years ago at Joe Nall, and I think it is part of the Bob Shaw collection.

Don

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »
This training center, is that at Triple Tree ?  What do you know if anything about the Gieske Nobler #2220 ?

Yes, The new  Triple Tree training center is close to the big hanger,  lots of models, simulators and classroom space.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:55:09 PM by Will Davis »
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here