News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fun and Contests...together  (Read 938 times)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fun and Contests...together
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:54:13 PM »
I've been rolling around some ideas in my head for a while, but I thought I'd mix it up a bit and get some wisdom in this abundance of counselors.
So...
What are the most fun contests or events and WHY?
thoughts...atmosphere or events. Pampa classes or other...what else?

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Fun and Contests...together
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »
I'll go first. Of my limited five years of stunt, my favorite contest has been Uncle Jimbys Meet n Meat because the fun atmosphere, fox Hurl, and Pete Cunha and Larry Fernandez chilli. But I'm sure there are other opinions and ideas floating around. I heard a group back east used to have a biplane class and..

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »
Great question David. 

Well organized inclusive social events are often the highlight for me

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »
VSC was always the greatest social event I was ever to with a model airplane contest thrown in for flavor. But where else can you meet up with guys who still love and fly ignition. My greatest memories will always be the ones from VSC. It is that 1100 mile trip down there that is the only drawback for us who are pushing 80 and just do not do the things we use to.
Jim Kraft

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
VSC was always the greatest social event I was ever to with a model airplane contest thrown in for flavor. But where else can you meet up with guys who still love and fly ignition. My greatest memories will always be the ones from VSC. It is that 1100 mile trip down there that is the only drawback for us who are pushing 80 and just do not do the things we use to.
Hi Jim, I really enjoyed VSC last year. It was my first time, but I missed out on some of the events because I only flew classic and then skedaddled because of my kids. I enjoyed having the four flights rather than typical two flights.  Yup, about a thousand miles drive for me too.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
The NATS used to be the event/contest for me.  I have to agree with Jim that VSC tops them all.  According to the tripometer 1250 miles one way.   Albuequerque was almost the 1/2 way part.  Brodaks was good the one year I made it there.   But the Sky Devils used to run fun events when there were no contests that included family picnic of club members.  But that was then.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »
I really enjoyed the SIG contests.  Stunt over 2 days, some racing carrier, combat, 2 days and lots of time and space to trim and try stuff. 

good food and meeting people from other areas.  I like the local contests and the local guys, but since we all know each other it isn't that social,  it was  fun meeting and catching up with friends at SIG
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »
I enjoyed the old Nats (prior to Muncie) where you could see the best of all disciplines.  A freeflight floating down slowly is beautiful, even if it's into the rat race circle.  RC scale is inspiring.  Indoor models climbing slowly toward the rafters is amazing (Lake Charles Nats).  I miss seeing it all in one spot.

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »
Las Cruces was a great contest.  Saturday night dinner party at Bill Melton’s (I think I got the name right...carrier guy mostly. Had a carrier plane for anyone to fly) was the high point.  Always something cool and new to learn in Bill’s shop.

Common theme here seems to be a chance to get together with everyone away from the flying field.  Or, at the flying field at contests like Sig.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here