News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starcraft build  (Read 11306 times)

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Starcraft build
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
Well, I guess at this point I wouldn't worry too much, just fly it and see!  The problem will most likely occur when flying in contest type wind.  It could make trimming more difficult.
Stiffness in flight surfaces should never be sacrificed for weight.  That's my opinion and I know it's shared by many other stunt fliers!  I had a Magnum many years ago with built up flaps much like the ones on your airplane.  The plane simply would not trim properly and did strange things sometimes that were not predictable.  Bob Whitely was the first that said "I think your flaps are flexing".  I've learned over many years not to ignore Bob's advice even though at the time I didn't think it was the problem.  I replace the flaps finally and the airplane became a great flier wind and all.  Since then I've been a strong proponent of stiff and straight control surfaces.  It always makes an airplane more manageable, especially in wind...Do we fly in wind??? LL~ LL~
I also know that many of the top fliers go to great lengths to build very stiff flaps and control systems...there definitely is a reason!

Incidentally, the airplane looks great!

Randy Cuberly

Thanks Randy, I will persevere with this plane for now as is. But in future I will definitely use solid or sheeted flaps.

I test flew Starcraft on Saturday. Two short 2 minute flights (my first electric flights ever) and Starcraft felt nice on the end of the lines. Wings were level upright and inverted and it had loads of line tension no matter where it was in the hemisphere.

On the second landing my undercarriage snagged in a hole and pulled out of the fuselage. I will fix it soon and fly again.

Although the plane felt good it did come out much heavier than I wanted. About 2050g or 72oz! WHAT A FATTY I know!

This was my first electric build and first take-a-part which I will take some lessons into the next build. I must build lighter obviously.

Until next time....
NZL7396

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »
Daniel...just saw in the news about the earthquake in NZ. It said 8.4 (I think) in Christchurch, which I recall being on the North Island, and you're on the South Island. We hope everybody down there is ok, and everything gets back to normal ASAP.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2016, 04:15:58 AM »
Daniel...just saw in the news about the earthquake in NZ. It said 8.4 (I think) in Christchurch, which I recall being on the North Island, and you're on the South Island. We hope everybody down there is ok, and everything gets back to normal ASAP.  H^^ Steve

Hi Steve.

Christchurch sure has had its fair share of crap the last few years. The big quakes in 2011 destroyed many parts of the city. Thankfully the one over the weekend did not cause much damage, nor were there any reported injuries. Some large cliffs partially collapsed into the sea which was quite spectacular I understand.

My sister lives in Christchurch, she said the shaking was quite strong. But not as bad as previous ones.

Christchurch is in the South Island, I live about 600km south and didn't feel a thing.

Sure is a shaky part of the world we live in here in NZ. Quakes are part of our normal I think.

Daniel.
NZL7396

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here