News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Skyray build – Finally done.  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Skyray build – Finally done.
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
Well, I had planned on being at this point two months ago, but life…  I finally have my kits cut out for three Skyrays. 

I have the plans. I have the engines ready to go.  I have the covering.  I have the glue.  Now I just need more time.  I had planned on getting these ready so I could get practiced up for competing in Beginners at the Walker Spring Tune-Up, but I don’t see as that I’ll get them done.  So I’ll crash some other planes getting ready for the Tune-Up and take my time with these.  I won’t do a build thread, as everyone knows how to build a Skyray.  I might post pictures of things I do differently.  I’m just posting here so that now that I have said I’m going to do these, it keeps me obligated to make progress. And, I’ll probably be asking questions along the way.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:52:18 AM by Mark Mc »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Skyray build – Finally getting started.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
Well, I had planned on being at this point two months ago, but life…  I finally have my kits cut out for three Skyrays.  

I have the plans. I have the engines ready to go.  I have the covering.  I have the glue.  Now I just need more time.  I had planned on getting these ready so I could get practiced up for competing in Beginners at the Walker Spring Tune-Up, but I don’t see as that I’ll get them done.  So I’ll crash some other planes getting ready for the Tune-Up and take my time with these.  I won’t do a build thread, as everyone knows how to build a Skyray.  I might post pictures of things I do differently.  I’m just posting here so that now that I have said I’m going to do these, it keeps me obligated to make progress. And, I’ll probably be asking questions along the way.

Wow, where did you get all that stuff? Did you do it yourself, or have it cut for you?

Starting from that, you should be able to get the airplanes done in a week or two of evenings. Building 3 of them doesn't take much more time than one of them, until you get to the finishing. Even i managed to put one together in about a day and a half, finished by the next weekend - not very well, but good enough for the subsequent 25 years.

Brett

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
Looking good! Nothing like that smell of fresh balsa without the laser charcoal. I'd say do a build thread if you want. There's probably somebody who would benefit from it and be happy you did it. Besides - any build is a worthy build.

Or you could take two of those fuselages, a couple of .15's, and build a Twin SkyRay.  %^@

AMA 76478

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »
Well, I had planned on being at this point two months ago, but life…  I finally have my kits cut out for three Skyrays.  

I have the plans. I have the engines ready to go.  I have the covering.  I have the glue.  Now I just need more time.  I had planned on getting these ready so I could get practiced up for competing in Beginners at the Walker Spring Tune-Up, but I don’t see as that I’ll get them done.  So I’ll crash some other planes getting ready for the Tune-Up and take my time with these.  I won’t do a build thread, as everyone knows how to build a Skyray.  I might post pictures of things I do differently.  I’m just posting here so that now that I have said I’m going to do these, it keeps me obligated to make progress. And, I’ll probably be asking questions along the way.

Mark

I am in the middle of building one of these myself.  Got the wing done but stalled out about 2007 and need to finish this one up.   Have some OS Max 20's and 25's, one of which I will probably use to power it.  I also have plenty of Fox .35's if i decide to go that route.  Spring is just around the corner and with it.....flying season.     D>K     H^^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:25:55 PM »
Impressive!  If the plans show the fin & rudder angled -- don't.  You only want to put in as much right offset as it takes to make sure you didn't put in any left offset, no more.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 12:11:28 AM »
Brett,   I decided to be masochistic and do it the old fashioned way.  I made rib templates and traced the ribs out on balsa sheet, then cut each rib along the outlines with an X-Acto knife.  Then the ribs for each wing were stacked together and sanded with a sanding block.  I just have to make sure I don’t somehow mix up ribs between the planes.  Same thing for the fuselages and tail parts.  All hand cut with an X-Acto knife.  Somewhat silly since I have two scroll saws, but it was kinda therapeutic. 

Hmmm…  A Twinray.  Now there’s an idea, Chuck.  Probably don’t see many twins entering in the Beginner category.  Maybe for next year.  I have so many things I want to try that it’ll have to be added to the list.

Tim, I was planning on leaving the offset out.  I just have to be careful and not induce any left trim when I glue on the fin.  Not like that’s ever happened before….

I’ll keep Y’all updated as I go.

Mark

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »
I made rib templates and traced the ribs out on balsa sheet, then cut each rib along the outlines with an X-Acto knife.  Then the ribs for each wing were stacked together and sanded with a sanding block.

Over time, I've decided that the best way to do that part is to hand-cut everything and leaving them a hair oversized, so they stand just a bit proud of the spar.  Then when I'm done gluing up the wing, I sand them all even with a long board.  It sounds complicated, but usually saves fuss in the end -- particularly if the balsa is a decent weight instead of rock hard.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 10:54:47 AM »
Brett,   I decided to be masochistic and do it the old fashioned way.  I made rib templates and traced the ribs out on balsa sheet, then cut each rib along the outlines with an X-Acto knife.  Then the ribs for each wing were stacked together and sanded with a sanding block.  I just have to make sure I don’t somehow mix up ribs between the planes.  Same thing for the fuselages and tail parts.  All hand cut with an X-Acto knife.  Somewhat silly since I have two scroll saws, but it was kinda therapeutic.  

I have never had the patience necessary to cut out all the parts first, I cut enough to do the wing, build it, cut out the fuselage, build it, etc. and cut a lot of parts along the way.

I asked because someone asked me about people cutting out parts for him.

Brett

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
Just too lazy to look it up... sorry

I have the kit and want also to do 3 at a time

Does anyone already had these rib sets laser cut ( or any other method) for sale?

Tom Morris already supplied me with a life time of good balsa from 1/16 to 1"

Was thinking- of the 3 builds-- two minimal beaters, and 1 some serious attempt at a 20 point 100yrd stand off finish...
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
Was thinking- of the 3 builds-- two minimal beaters, and 1 some serious attempt at a 20 point 100yrd stand off finish...

Any flapless stunter is going to benefit by being as light as possible.  A 100 yard finish is fine, but a 100 lard finish isn't -- I'd stick to finishes that are as light as can be.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
This is quite a feat making three kits.  Years ago I sat down with the catalogs and figured out what it would cost to make a kit.  Was less money buying kits from SIG at the time.  Of course I was using hobby shop prices for every thing when we had a decent hobby shop.  Just this week 2, 1/2X3X36 balsa sheets cost me $13.00.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Well, I got some time to play with these the last couple of days.  I have the fuselages up to the ARF stage. 

When I was deciding to plans build the three 35’s, I figured since I was printing out wing rib templates, I could print out a rib at half size and build a 1/2A Skyray with a built up wing.  I’m calling it my Skyray 110, since the wing area comes out to about 110 sq.in. of wing area.  I went ahead and cut out all the ribs for the 1/2A version before I started the full size .35  models.

Mark

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 05:37:33 AM »
Anybody else having flashbacks of slow combat in the 70's?
AMA 76478

Offline Mike Bufkin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 05:47:09 AM »
Nice work !!

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:43:11 PM »
Anybody else having flashbacks of slow combat in the 70's?

Sometimes. Fast Combat was my thing, Slow Combat always seemed like slow motion, but I still liked it.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 09:44:35 PM »
Well, life has gotten in the way for this project, and the planes have sat idle for a while.  Someone was asking me about these last week, so I figured I’d best carve out some time to work on them.  I didn’t bother to print out the wing plan, as I didn’t see much need for it.  All I really need is a straight line for the spar and perpendicular lines for the ribs.  At Christmas a few years ago as I was wrapping presents, I noticed that the back of the wrapping paper had lines printed on it and thought that it’d be perfect for building models.  So, I pulled out the paper and taped a 46” length on my building board, covering it with Saran Wrap.  The lines on the paper are one inch apart, so it is easy to mark lines.  I just marked the distance I wanted between ribs on the paper using the lines to make sure they were straight at right angles to the spar line, and then pinned the spar on the selected line.

Then I just pinned the ribs in place and glued everything up.  I framed up all three wings Friday evening.

I was going to just make these planes as quick and dirty as I could, but as I was working on the wings I said to myself, “Ehhh…  These are taking forever anyway, so I might as well make adjustable leadouts and weight boxes for these.”  I made these sliders so that all the forward they are at Brett Buck’s recommended position, all the way back they are at SIG’s recommended position.

Hopefully, I’ll get some more work on them this coming week.
Mark
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:11:21 PM by Mark Mc »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
Looking good on the construction.   I see you opted for full ribs.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
Hi Mark,
Glad to see you back on it. Before you cover it all up, don't forget to slide the leadout adjusters to both extremes and make sure you aren't sawing any ribs.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
I was going to just make these planes as quick and dirty as I could, but as I was working on the wings I said to myself, “Ehhh…  These are taking forever anyway, so I might as well make adjustable leadouts and weight boxes for these.”  I made these sliders so that all the forward they are at Brett Buck’s recommended position, all the way back they are at SIG’s recommended position.

Next time space the leadouts about 3/4" to 5/8" apart.  It's probably not worth reworking those.  Unless you want to.
AMA 64232

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 02:38:21 AM »

Please don't forget to cut the plastic tubes. The tubes in the pic are too long and they will cause friction between the leadout wires. 1/4 or 3/8" long will be enough.
Aki

Dwayne

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »
Looking good on the construction.   I see you opted for full ribs.

And balsa not ply. ??

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
Hey I've seen several Sky Rays with balsa ribs in stead of the ply junk. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 11:13:48 PM »
Yep, I used balsa. All full ribs rather than half ribs. But I made the mistake of using light contest balsa. It's pretty and very lightweight, but for a trainer plane, go with stronger balsa. My Osprey was a thing of beauty, looked just like a Flite Streak, kitbashed from a Skyray 35 kit. I was showing off after winning a contest with it, clobbered the ground, and the wing looked like it had exploded. It lives in a grocery bag now. :'(
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
Nice project you've got going here!  I too will build a Skyray this coming Winter, and so far I've picked up a couple of handy hints from what you've done to date.

Sorry about the Osprey, but your apt description about how it now lives in a grocery bag provided me with a nice chuckle! Lesson learned on your nickel, I'll go with all full balsa ribs of sufficient density on my Skyray. Not sure what to do with the ply ribs leftover from my Sig kit - wood stove kindling perhaps?

All the best.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
And balsa not ply. ??

The plywood ribs aren't bad, but balsa's better.  I'd probably build a kit with the supplied ribs, but I'd scratch build with 3/32" medium- to heavy-weight balsa, no cap strips.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
Put the ply ribs up for bid/sell.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
And balsa not ply. ??

The balsa wing has proven to be much, much more durable than the plywood. The first time my Skyray was crashed (by someone flying it at a stunt clinic), the plywood wing just disintegrated, every part in it broke. That's because it's only slightly stronger but the loads in a crash are much higher because it is much heavier. The balsa version has survived 30-40 crashes with usually only damage to the covering and dents.

Surprisingly, with a 20FP, the loss of ~6 ounces (from ~36 to about 30 ounces all-up) made *very little difference* in the performance overall.

Brett

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 12:30:41 AM »
Well, after quite a few painful delays, I finally got to these planes and finished them.  They’re pretty much built per plans with the exception of the adjustable leadouts, weight boxes, and enhanced elevators.  I did a sky blue plane to match the SIG stock colors, a yellow one because I had two rolls of yellow Monokote, and a pink one because my wife said she’d learn to fly if I built her a pink plane.  I bought a SIG Buster to build for her, but she backed out, so I found myself with a fresh roll of Neon Pink with nothing to put it on.  So that’s how the planes came to be.  And let me say that, with 35 years of experience using Monokote, I can say with absolute certainty that the Neon Pink Monokote was the worst thing I have ever worked with.  I also did something that I’ve never, ever done.  I copied the plane trim scheme from the box cover for the planes.  I just cut strips of Monokote trim sheet to match the box cover photo.

The planes all have OS .25 LA-S engines spinning APC 10-4 props with 4 ounce clunk tanks.  I used the same hardware that would have come with a SIG kit.  This gives an elevator throw of ± 30 degrees.  The yellow plane weighs 28.1 ounces, the blue 28.7 ounces, and the pink one is a pig at 30.4 ounces. 

I couldn’t figure out how to frame the finished picture so I did a couple:

And one picture with the 1/2A version in it.

Unfortunately, due to uncontrollable circumstances I won’t be able to fly for a while.  I did get two flights on the pink plane because I finished it first and wanted to get it in the air.  After all, if I was going to crash one, the pink one is obviously the first to go…  But after those two flights, I didn’t want to fly it again and possibly crash it, and thus not be able to take a picture of all three together.  Now I’m free to crash all I want…

Mark
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:20:58 AM by Mark Mc »

Offline ringmaster

• Ensign
Re: Skyray build – Finally done.
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
Hello Mark Mc, I sure like your Skyray 35 they all look so nice all three of them. I am also big fan of the Sig Skyray 35 it is a great flyer in its own right I think Sig got this airplane right on the money it is airplane that worth the money too. It is the airplane I recommend to beginners to control line to build and learn to fly the pattern with and is sure easy airplane to build and fly. Thanks Edward King (ringmaster).

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
Looking very good Mark....I followed all of this project on the other forum

I need to stop procrastinating and do a second set of three..... I did similar project around Rugged Stunt Trainers (RST) from Phil ----basically doing same with engines, tanks etc to have enough to crash and NOT go home

I have plans for: in addition to these 3 RST
3 Twisters
3 Sky Rays
2 Ring Masters
2 Primary Force

Basic hold up right now is me, time, heat, very cluttered shop, and so many "honey do " projects
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »
Good work, Mark. Nice looking planes, they should serve you well. I think you made the perfect engine and tank choice.
My first old Skyray was tough as nails, so they can take a lick and survive to keep on flying. Good luck advancing your flying skills.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
Those are awesome!
Steve

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »
Some envy here, Mark... Procrastinator envy. Three beauties, excellent craftsmanship.
Somehow, I thought the pink would have been more pale; 'Pinker', if you will. That 'Rose petal pink' isn't near as bad as it sounded...actually, maybe 'correct' for these times!
Good hunting...

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »
Just too lazy to look it up... sorry

I have the kit and want also to do 3 at a time

Does anyone already had these rib sets laser cut ( or any other method) for sale?

Tom Morris already supplied me with a life time of good balsa from 1/16 to 1"

Yes.  I sent a copy of the Sig plans to Eric Rule and he set up his laser to whack out a set of full ribs for the Skyray 35.  I have a stock Sig kit in which I'll replace the lite ply ribs.  Just one kit.

Now that Eric has them set up, anyone should be able to order a set of lasercut ribs and get them quickly.  I was surprised no one had done these before.  RSM in the Vendors Corner.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here