Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silk  (Read 1855 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Silk
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
Anyone know of a good supplier for silk?

And, how is it specified?

I remember a term from years ago - mumy or something to that effect.

Bob Z.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Silk
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
    Hello Robert:

Try this:

Thai Silks 800-722-7455 or 650-695-7455.

If they do not have it, you do not need it.

Frank McCune

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
 Bob, Check out
www.dharmatrading.com

They have 6 mm & 8mm in various colors. good prices. I have not compared to Thai product.
I wish someone would convince Esaki to bring back  silk with checkerboard. I want to use it on my Voodoo build.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »
Second the Dharma. I've had great luck with it.
AMA 76478

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »
Second the Dharma. I've had great luck with it.

+1 on Dharma
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
I use Dharma silk because it is cheaper than most other sources. You should find the 5 MM or 8 MM (Momme)... Larger MM is tighter weave and heavier per SqYrd

The already dyed stuff is mostly 8MM and heavier

From their web site description:
Silk Habotai Fabrics
Also known as "china silk" this is the classic silk fabric you see used in all kinds of projects. This silk fabric has a soft and supple hand and a lustrous sheen. Perfect for beginners and students as it is economical and has a smooth surface so lends itself to all painting techniques. Great for scarves, pillows, linings, banners, flags etc. Available in 5 weights and widths!

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-habotai-fabrics.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html

There is also the note about shrinkage from their web site:

100% Habotai Silk
5mm, 36", 45", or 55" wide
You can dye this with Acid Dyes
We found that this shrinks 8% in Length and 1% in Width
Available in cut yardage (bulk discounts levels at 10+ yds.), and 55 yard bolts
Machine wash in any temperature water
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
Theres a Chiese Merchant in Auckland N Z that carries V good quality close weve silk " For Model Aeroplanes " think it was $ 50 for 4 yards.

Just did a combat wing , needs to be put on WET and Shrinking Dope . With the exchange rate It'd be good value .

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
There was a discussion not long ago concerning first dying silk in a water bath, then drying.  It shrinks when drying.

The question was "once shrunk and dried, will it still shrink again when applied wet?"

Silk will "relax" each time it is wetted.  So, pre-dying in water and drying does not affect its shrinking when wet once again.  Apply the silk wet, and it will shrink on the model structure.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
I suspect that if you put the dye in denatured alcohol, you would not pre-shrink the silk. It will definitely dye the silk, but can't guarantee the shrink effect.

And, however, I know by experience, that it definitely works just fine on Polyspan!

I was at a swap meet and a guy had a pile of packages of silk. "How much?" I ask, "$5" he says. I begin to reach for my wallet, and he points out that is for the whole pile! The abrasion burns on my wallet hand have since healed.  LL~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »
There was a discussion not long ago concerning first dying silk in a water bath, then drying.  It shrinks when drying.

The question was "once shrunk and dried, will it still shrink again when applied wet?"

Silk will "relax" each time it is wetted.  So, pre-dying in water and drying does not affect its shrinking when wet once again.  Apply the silk wet, and it will shrink on the model structure.

I started applying silk dry using CA on my Gee Bee Z. There's a Gee Bee Z build at CFC Graphic's vendor's corner where I write about this with photos.

I had issues with the silkspan covering on my ARGO 2, so I removed the silkspan in the open bays and recovered and replaced it with silk applied dry with CA.

The results were excellent and the silk is board tight.

Here's the ARGO 2 with a couple coats of dope.

Applying silk with CA is a bit tricky, so don't try this at home.  ;D

CB

Edited, sorry, the build is at "Scale" not CFC Graphics.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:50:04 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »
Gee, that's real helpful. Are we back to the old days of modelling secret techniques? I thought that went out in the '50s.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »
Gee, that's real helpful. Are we back to the old days of modelling secret techniques? I thought that went out in the '50s.

Larry,

That "Gee" thing, I'm not sure if you're referring to my Post or not, but there are no secrets in model building. Well, there shouldn't be anyway.

That's why there are Forums, so ideas and methods can be and exchanged, shared and viewed.

It's up to the readers to decide what path they will take.

Modeling is a long road.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
Thanks, Guys - I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I'm getting an order together.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here