News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shipping kits - how?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shipping kits - how?
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
Guys,
What is a the easiest and most cost effective way to ship a medium size kit (twister)? I went to the UPS store and they wanted $58 (FL to NY) which seems way high. Any other options - do you need to put it into another box or can you just wrap it in brown paper?

Best,             DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Shipping kits - how?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »
Dennis,

I use the USPO.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
Try the post office.  
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
For UPS ground?!?  Did they say why?

I just checked, and the cost to send a two pound package from Oregon City, Oregon to Sudbury, Massachusetts (Sudbury, 'cause 01776 is easy to remember) is less than $15.  So unless the package is oversized they were trying to stick you into next day air or something like that.

Look at this page, enter the pertinent details (note that they don't ask about the package size -- I think that 108 inches combined length and girth is the magic number, but I don't know for sure).  Then look at the price for ground shipping your package, go back to the UPS store, and ask why in h*ll they want so much to ship the cruddy thing.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US&WT.svl=PNRO_L1

Or try FedEx.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
USPO Priority Mail.
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
USPO Priority Mail.

Yep.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
Most reasonable : USPS
Next                 : Fedex Ground
Next                 : Fedex Express

"NEVER"   UPS

JMHO,  Geno   
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:40:27 PM »
USPS, Fedex Ground, forget UPS.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
to most Canadians UPS pronounced "OOPS" and is an acronym for "Unbelievably Poor Service".... 

Across borders they are awful...

B

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
One thing to remember about the Post Office is that UPS delivers a great deal of their cartons between service centers and area post offices.  I see the UPS truck backed up to the PO almost every day.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Joe Just

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
I just shipped a kit box to Ty in FL today for under $11.  Box size 9x9x24.  USPS is the only way to ship kit boxes.  I have shipped over 1000 kits since 1990 without any problems.
Joe

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
to most Canadians UPS pronounced "OOPS" and is an acronym for "Unbelievably Poor Service".... 

Across borders they are awful...

B

Also known as United Package Smashers.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
Also known as United Package Smashers.

Agreed!  UPS nearly destroyed a model sent here 6 years ago.  Wouldn't use them again on a bet!  Post Office is the only way to go.  FedX Ground second choice. 
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »
I have always mailed my kits thru USPS, never had any issues with them at all. 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »
One thing to remember about the Post Office is that UPS delivers a great deal of their cartons between service centers and area post offices.  I see the UPS truck backed up to the PO almost every day.

Dick,

Your correct but that is only 1/2 of the story. UPS also delivers a lot of packages to the post office to deliver. Mainly rural deliveries. As I have a few friends that work in the postal services some rural drivers actually have more UPS packages in their truck then USPS.
UPS seems to want to keep it's delivery in metropolitan centers and passs the time consuming deliveries in the boondocks to the USPS. By the same token it frees the town postal delivery people from having to deliver large packages. It is reciprocal and i guess that there must be some benefit for both in time and money savings.

dennis

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
While no expert, I have worked in product distribution for many years.  Over ten years at my current employer. 

The company I work for recently expanded its internet sales program.  The facility at which I work almost always uses FedEx for outbound internet orders.  If a customer requests shipment via USPS, it usually ships from us to their local post office or its sortation hub via FedEx (SmartPost), and then to the customer via their local US mail carrier.  If the customer did not request USPS, it usally goes all the way to their house via FedEx.  Other companies do the same thing with UPS.

So-  If you are the receiver and request USPS the carton may come part way on UPS or FedEx.

If you go down to the local post office and ship something, it may go the whole way by US post office.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
Use the USPO
Your tax dollars have already paid for part of the cost.
David Roland

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »
Check out the Twister kit I currently have listed on eBay (item number 290666257097). The postage calculator will show shipping cost to your USA address. You can click on "see all details" and type in any zip. From approx. Omaha NE to Buffalo NY, Parcel Post adds $8.54, to Miami it adds $9.36.

Just out of curiosity I Googled up a Miami and Buffalo zip and entered them on the USPS (Postal Service) web site. My kit weights 2 pounds, 14 ounces packed and ready to go. From Miami to Buffalo adds $9.36 for Parcel and $10.95 for Priority Mail.

I've had great luck with the Postal Service. Their rates are the lowest (sometimes by far the lowest) and service is on a  par with any private carrier. Regards, EWP

PS: You are all welcome to bid on the Twister kit!

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »
UPS stores are flat out rip-off.  Hate to say but USPS is expensive but best bet.  I stoped selling kits as its way to expensive. Some homies think it 1965. When the want free shipping, deal is dead.
Dan

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
Okay, I got this from a previous kit maker  #^, and he told me to wrap my kits in white shelf paper, double wrap. Do a neat job, tape the ends down securely and run at leat one strip of tape the full length where the paper seam is. For extra protection I tape full length on all four corners. Haven't had one bad one yet and the cost to ship in CONUS is between $15.00 to $20.00 depending on the weight. USPS  Priority Mail, includes delivery notifacation and $200.00 Insurance.  Gerald Schamp
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:57:01 PM by Gerald Schamp »

Offline larry richards

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 12:24:56 AM »
Right you are Gerald.  All of my kits were shipped USPS Priority Mail and out of the many many kits sent this way only 3 had any problems and nothing inside the kit was damaged. 

Mike Griffin

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »
I can only add to what the majority has already said.  USPS Priority Mail.  I send kits to Australia, Norway, England and other countries and have NEVER had a problem. (KNOCK ON WOOD).  I use the standard kit box I buy from U Line and wrap it in the shipping paper I buy in big rolls also from U Line.  I do not scrimp on the tape either. 

Gerald, were you talking about the adhesive backed shelf paper?

Mike

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
Mike,

No, just the plane white shelf paper, some call it poster paper, various other names, banner paper. I get mine at Staples, I even use it to draw some wing outlines on that I don't intend on saving. Its inexpensive, but works great. 24 inches wide and many feet long.

Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags: kits 

Advertise Here