News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:48:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shaping plastic tanks  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Shaping plastic tanks
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Guys,
I am working on a new ship and need to fit a tank into a limited space. One option I thought might work is to take a rectangular plastic tank and reshape it to fit what I want. Has anyone reshaped any of these tanks and what method did you use?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Shaping plastic tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:21 AM »
I heated one of the RST tanks with my monokote heat gun to push the bubble down where the vent tube went to fit in a tighter space. I guess you could try that to reshape on an old one to test.
Leester
ama 830538

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »
Yep. Just did it last week in my ARF Nobler. Needed to squeeze a 6oz tank in between the motor mounts to get it lower in the nose. (Engine is already raised)

Grabbed it with two pair of vise grips opened real wide, got the monokote heat gun and squeeze in it on the top. Let it cool and the tank fit.

Simple and easy. Still need to test fly it.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Guys,
I have heard of some way to cut plastic tanks to shorten them and "plastic weld" the sections back together. I like round tanks, the problem is the size that fits is the 4 oz which is sometimes more fuel than needed and to long for the tank compartment available. Being able to shorten it say a 1/2" solves both problems.

Does anyone know how this is done?

Best,     DennisT

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
Guys,
I have heard of some way to cut plastic tanks to shorten them and "plastic weld" the sections back together. I like round tanks, the problem is the size that fits is the 4 oz which is sometimes more fuel than needed and to long for the tank compartment available. Being able to shorten it say a 1/2" solves both problems.

Does anyone know how this is done?

Best,     DennisT

not easily!!!!  the plastic used for tanks in niegh impossible to weld.....you CAN do it if you buy the right rods and have the skills - last time I hecked the rod were more than a new plane!
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
Guys,
Did a little "Google" on plastic welding and found some interesting stuff. There were several U-Tube video's that basically show using a variable temperature soldering iron. The technique seems to be first to tac the pieces in several spots then draw the iron down the seam and finally using the iron to seal over the seam. In some spots they use a little extra material to fill in pretty much like soldering. The variable temp iron is available from Harbor Freight for around $17. I will try this and give some feed back.

Best,         DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: tanks 

Advertise Here