News:

• March 29, 2024, 04:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Russ Gifford Passed Away  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Russ Gifford Passed Away
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »
Got word today that Russ passed away today.  He'll be sorely missed.

http://www.snellzornig.com/obituaries/Russell-Gifford/#!/Obituary
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Russ Gifford Passed Away
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope Randi is doing OK.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
Where was he from? Our family has been know to mate and roam so I might be related.

MM

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
Randi, so sorry to hear of the passing of Russ. My prayers and the prayers of FCM go out to you and your family.
I always enjoyed seeing you and Russ show up for the FCM contest, those were fond memories.
Blessings to you and the family, I'll miss him.
Blessings
Allen

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
Another gone too soon.  Great couple that always treated me like family.  Have not seen them since the last SIG contest I attended.   :'( 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
Russ was a great friend. During my days flying in the beginner, intermediate, and advanced classes both he and Randi judged many of my flights. After all the official flights were over they would offer suggestions on how to improve my pattern. Their advice helped me a great deal. My most memorable moment with Russ was during my very first NATs appearance flying a profile Pathfinder in the advanced class. During my first flight I overran so I shorted the tank for the second official flight and promptly ran out of fuel in the overhead eight. After I landed Russ came over to me, smiled, and said,"I see you've gone to the Russ Gifford school of fuel management".
Russ, we miss you.
DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »
I only met Russ a couple times, so I did not know him as well as many of you.  Never the less I thoroughly enjoyed his sense of humor.  He and Randi are treasures.  God Bless.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:23 PM »
    Russ was a one of a kind, to say the least. ALWAYS enjoyed being around him at contests. Really missed seeing him and Randi at contests the last few years, and one of the things to look forward to the SIG contest was knowing that they would be there. This is kind of hard to take so soon after losing Mike Gretz and it's hard to think of the right thing to say. I just hope to see him and the other stunt greats when I get to the other side.
   Fair Winds and Tight Lines Russ!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:03:30 PM »
Randi,
my sincerest condolences at the loss of your soul mate.

Too many good people in the Stunt Community have left us.  A very sad day!

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Buzzman

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
I'm sure going to miss Russ at the Sig contests.  We always had a little rivalry going in advanced.  He was always a gentleman and Randi a princess.  My condolences go out to Randi and family.  It seems like the future contests will be held at that great flying field in the sky.  Bless you from Carole and Buzz
"Buzz" Paricka

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
I hope someone will communicate all our good wishes to Randi. If they haven't been to the flying meets, I'd doubt that Randi would see this thread. The hobby may have lost two of the best control-line friends years ago, but Russ' final loss is a big one for sure.

Randi, I wish you all the best and am very, very sorry for your loss. You are one of the kindest people I know, and though we've never met in person, I think of you as my friend, and my thoughts are with you.

Serge Krauss

Offline Floyd Layton

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 06:49:33 PM »
Randi Gifford wishes to convey her heartfelt gratitude to all of you for your kind words of condolence upon the loss of her husband Russ Gifford.  The flying community was a big part of his life and she along with their children want you to know how much your words of sympathy mean to them at this time of sorrow.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
It's taken me awhile to process this one.

Many years ago, Russ loaned me his profile Excalibur to fly in Classic at the Broken Arrow contest, and was sorely disappointed when I beat him with his own airplane 😊  Russ was my main...antagonist from that point on. There was allot of trash-talking--all in good spirits of course.  He would even punch me in the arm, hoping it would eventually be too sore for me to fly.  LL~

Yet he was one of the coolest, nicest dudes on the Midwest contest circuit and I was always very happy to see him and Randi at contests.  Once I joined the Army, and the chance to fly with them anymore was all but gone, I made sure to call them occasionally to "check in" and let them know I was doing alright, talk Army shop...and enjoy a reminiscent exchange of bravado and promise to wax the other someday when we could meet up and fly together.  I am very sad that I won't get that chance.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here