News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RSM new MIG 3 semi-scale stunt first look  (Read 4515 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
RSM new MIG 3 semi-scale stunt first look
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:28:14 AM »
dear modellers, new project started (and looks like won´t take long to finish!)
Eric Rule from RSM  was kind enough to ship me one of the first kits so i could build it first hand and take a deep look. I am absolutely impressed, with just about 8 working hours i have 65% of the model ready!
the Specs from RSM:
"A Semi-Scale Precision Aerobatic model designed by Eric Rule. The MIG 3 has a wing span of 55-1/2",wing area of 619 Sq. In., stab area of 130-1/3 Sq. In. Fuselage is 39-1/4" with a nose moment of 9.6" and tail moment of 16-34". Power can be either a .46 glow engine or RSM's 46 Electric Power System as parts necessary for both type are included in the kit.

Like all of the RSM models the MIG 3 is 100% laser cut using contest grade balsa and birch plywood. A complete hardware package consisting of 4" carbon fiber Bell Crank, Lead Out wires, Adjustable Lead Out Guide, Adjustable Wing Tip Weight Box, Carbon Fiber Push rod system, custom plastic canopy, formed wire landing gear and full-span gapless hinges in included. All the builder has to supply is glue, covering material and the power package."

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
Re: RSM new MIG 3 semi-scale stunt first look
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:41:43 AM »
have worked just a few hours and tail is ready without the need to even open plans! the engeneering is so good that pieces fits perfetly over the pre-cut sheetin and labelling guides you throug!
absolutely great wood and perfect laser cut (ok, some parts needs just a knife help, but hey, that´s balsa, and it changes strenght along the sheet, so this is perfect to me)
Eric did and amazing job with the design, and this kit came with an unique feature (at least, i´ve never heard of before)
a full span "ribbon hinge". consist of a strip of some fabric that you glue between wing TE laminations and do the same with the remaining with flap LE lamination, then you end up with a fully hinged surface withou any gap, will post pictures shortly

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
fuselage is almost ready as well
time to think about finishing
mixed feelings between the white/red or the colorful Rumanian
i´ve seen 2 of these migs already done with the white/red....maybe i´ll go for Rumania for a change
can we have a poll?

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
white and red?

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
Post a pic of the "gap less hinge" when you have the time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:44:25 AM by Bill Morell »
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »
Not that it matters a rats snot , But the Rivet Counters after innumerable cups of tea , spectron anaylisis , bickering & other nonsense ,
Decided that they were replacement outer wing panels , thus GREEN - ish .

Seeing thisis so big & hairy , I will put it on .

Looks like someone found some Gloss Clear .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:02:02 PM »
NOW youve got him goeing !

Far Out !

One for P.J. ( a Tiger ).

oops .  ;)

Hurumphh .

oh dear ,

You look like you enjoy a challenge .  LL~

The WHITE stuff was generally ' distemper ' applied over the camufage , during winter . tho built for winter I think they WERE White.

So the distemper was just about washed off , come summer .
This would Really impress the JUDGES ! .

I plastic 1/48th one I did , white , I had washed the last dregs of matte black from the airbrush spay jar ( Humbrol enamel ) ,
when I prayed the clear over .
The black disolved & mared the finish , so I wiped a tip with my thumb. and ruined it there .
As Id hung it ( held ) it nose up ( or down ) all the ' dirt stripping ' was aligned with the airflow ,
and was the most realistic weather white Mig 3 done in the last 5.000 years .

Apart from the thumb mark .

Some good original pictures here ,
http://forum.plastibrasil.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6568&start=10

TWO PAGES , some of your Rumanium ones too .

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:14:06 AM »
Post a pic of the "gap less hinge" when you have the time.

There was a gapless hinge available years ago, I don't remember the Vendor? Purchased assembled, it consisted of two pieces cut on the 45 degree with some material joining them the full length.

There was a center "fence" extending on the pieces where one would notch a recess in the TE and LE the length of the control surface to allow for inserting the lengths.

I haven't seen it advertised in years and I never saw one in use.

CB

Fred,

Here's the scheme I used for my Mig-3. I still have the file saved to reproduce any of the graphics.

Cockpit detail, strut detail and a million vinyl rivets and vinyl surface detail. Not to mention left over wood from my R/C days being a bit heavy. So my Mig-3 is a bit heavy.

I plan on having it bronzed.  ;D

Plenty of interest in this Mig-3 design, the build had 189K hits, and change.

I know you will do wonders with this kit Fred.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
I have test built several of RSM kits over the years that use the continuous gapless ribbon hinge.  The concept is very simple and it works remarkably well.  The hinge itself is a length of white satin ribbon that you can purchase at Michaels or any craft store that sells ribbon although Eric includes this is the kit if I remember correctly.  The ribbon is glued between two pieces that compose the leading edge of the flaps and elevators and is then joined to trailing edge of the wing and stabilizer the same way.  In other words, the front and back edges of the ribbon are sandwiched into the stationary and movable parts of the control surfaces.  This creates and continuous and gapless hinge.  You need to leave about a 1/32nd gap so the hinge will not bind when moved.  It works great.  I did build the early prototype of this MIG 3 when Eric first designed it and after working out some minor bugs in the fuselage construction, it turned out to be a beautiful model.  I never did get to finish it due to some other issues I had to contend with but I can tell you, as I am sure Fred can, that this is a beautiful model.  I especially like the wing airfoil as Eric designed it.    I would highly recommend buying one of these kits. 

Mike

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
Hello Fred
                  I would like to suggest this two paint jobs. I would not ad any weathering and give it a very glossy finish.
                                                                                                                                                            Juan

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
I have test built several of RSM kits over the years that use the continuous gapless ribbon hinge.  The concept is very simple and it works remarkably well.  The hinge itself is a length of white satin ribbon that you can purchase at Michaels or any craft store that sells ribbon although Eric includes this is the kit if I remember correctly.  The ribbon is glued between two pieces that compose the leading edge of the flaps and elevators and is then joined to trailing edge of the wing and stabilizer the same way.  In other words, the front and back edges of the ribbon are sandwiched into the stationary and movable parts of the control surfaces.  This creates and continuous and gapless hinge.  You need to leave about a 1/32nd gap so the hinge will not bind when moved.  It works great.  I did build the early prototype of this MIG 3 when Eric first designed it and after working out some minor bugs in the fuselage construction, it turned out to be a beautiful model.  I never did get to finish it due to some other issues I had to contend with but I can tell you, as I am sure Fred can, that this is a beautiful model.  I especially like the wing airfoil as Eric designed it.    I would highly recommend buying one of these kits. 

Mike

Thank you Mike.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
You are welcome Bill.  Iwould have taken a picture to show you but after the plane is built you really cant see anything.  The time to take the picture is when you are installing the ribbon.  Hope the written explanation helped.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »
I remember the Scientific kits having a gapless hinge on some of the planes.  But it just joined the two surfaces on either top or bottom,  I never liked it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
Fourmost Products Cooney Gapless Hinge No. 105 is a 36" section for the gapless hinge materiel ( rubber??) used on 1/4" thick TE to 1/4" moving part

The still sell the hinge slotting tool but no longer offer the Cooney hinge

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
Who was it that supplied that poly-flex stuff in there kits for hinge material,...Sterling?  It came in lengths cut to about 6" long.  Was maybe 3/4" to 1" inch wide and had a sort of seam/parting line down its length.  Tried it a couple times after cutting the material into hinge like widths of 1/2" of so.  As most glues at the time ( Ambroid?) would not really stick to it so well I used straight pins cut to length to secure them to the surfaces.  Used the stuff on my Sterling Corsair ..stiff controls were the end result.

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »
The problem with the center-captured continuous cloth hinge is, if you get  it wrong the first time, there is no second chance.  The classic "over and under" cloth hinges, while more labor-intensive, can be fixed if a binding or a clearance problem exists.

I have successfully used cloth "over and under" hinges full length, so there is no gap needing to be closed with that stiff plastic mending tape.

Cloth hinges are the least-stiff hinge type I have found.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline eric rule

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
Hi Fred;

You are probably tied up with real work (like making a living) and have not had much time available to build. How are you coming along with the build on the MIG 3?

I really like to see the pictures you post of the construction of the various components.  I also like to see how a great builder does things. Very informative. Looking forward to seeing more of them. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Eric Rule

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
Hi Fred;

You are probably tied up with real work (like making a living) and have not had much time available to build. How are you coming along with the build on the MIG 3?

I really like to see the pictures you post of the construction of the various components.  I also like to see how a great builder does things. Very informative. Looking forward to seeing more of them. Keep up the good work.

Regards
Eric Rule

Eric,

I think you nailed it with your new kit of the Mig-3.

It's a great aircraft to model, plus there are many schemes available, even "Captured" ones.

Good luck with your kit.

I wish I had a bit more money.  HB~>

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here