News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:13:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removable Bubble Canopy?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Removable Bubble Canopy?
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
This Gee Bee R-3 I'm building I expect to have for a long period of time. Well, maybe. Especially if I don't fly it.  LL~

Yes I'm kidding.

Canopies sometimes take a beating over time, even when cleared with a good 2K auto clear. So, I'm thinking of having mine removable so I can refurbish it if need be. That is, simply replace it.

At 4.00 each, I purchased two canopies anyway, one for the fit then the second one that actually gets glued and finished in place.

Has anyone else done this? Yes, I have a few ideas, but I'm looking for other methods of easy attachment?

For those that don't know, here's a photo of an ARF R/C model that is like the model I'm building.

Thanks in advance.

Charles
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:32:27 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Removable Bubble Canopy?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
I've never done it but maybe you could have a hole in the bottom of the fuselage so you can access a screw?

MM

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
Not an answer but recently I was bored and read all the articles here

http://flyinglines.org/Scale.html

lots of red meat for a guy of your skills

Made me think perhaps a NON RC actuated/commanded, simple mechanical sliding canopy might be a reasonable effort to design in
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
The only removable canopy I've ever seen on a stunt model is here: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_files_03/3540/334-G.pdf

I think the idea was to give access to the control system for lubrication.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:07:12 AM »
Thanks guys.

The model in the above photo actually has a removable lid, extends from the canopy rear to the back of the cowling.

I thought about a lid, even a small one but that would require more work than I'm up for.

Fredvon4,

I took a look at the sliding canopy article, Part 2. I felt like I was disarming a bomb.  ???

Thanks for the replies.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »
I know I am going to regret this, but yes, this has been done. Either a removable canopy, or a canopy that opens and closes with a slide like a real thing has been done. For the latter you sure need to have two to start with, cut the first one along the split lines, and then make the sliding portion out of the remainder. I mocked it up using a very similar arrangement to Bart Klapinski's Tempest but I didn't actually put it on the airplane because I ran out of time, and I didn't quite work out how to maintain the rigidity with the canopy cut out of it.

Brett

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 12:18:55 PM »
I think Windy did this with one of his last stunters. The plane was a take apart plane, the cockpit came out through the bottom of the of the canopy area and then the canopy was a bolt on item from the bottom as well. It pretty complex, but then it was Windy's thing.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
Let's backtrack a bit.

Am I being overly concerned or is canopy replacement not a bad idea?

Thanks,

Charles

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 01:49:51 PM »
lots of airplane models out there with thousands of flights and no need to replace the canopy. I am totaly not sure why you feel this is needed.

but hey, you have your own agenda so do what you want,,

Me, I am more concerned about building a solid control system and a straight light airframe

I only had one airplane where I needed to get inside the canopy and that was because the pilots head fell off,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
Hi Charles.  I only ever needed one canopy removed and that was because of an unplanned inverted maneuver!  I would think that barring that, if the canopy becomes scuffed, etc., one could simply sand it in place and refinish.  Besides....your ships are too pretty to land badly! %^@ H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:27:45 PM »
Hi Charles.  I only ever needed one canopy removed and that was because of an unplanned inverted maneuver!  I would think that barring that, if the canopy becomes scuffed, etc., one could simply sand it in place and refinish.  Besides....your ships are too pretty to land badly! %^@ H^^

To land, one first has to take off.

Brett

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »
    To land, one first has to take off.

Brett

Brett,

I totally understand that comment.

Yes, one by one each and every model I have will be flown.

Absolutely!

Thanks for the reply

Charles

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 07:58:16 AM »
Brett,

I totally understand that comment.

Yes, one by one each and every model I have will be flown.

Absolutely!

Thanks for the reply

Charles

Talk is cheap! Proof is in the pudding!
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
You should consider molding your own bubble canopy with a flange that fits the fuselage contour. Perhaps add some extra thickness to the flange areas with more PET (I think that's the kind of sheet plastic used), glued on with CA. That would allow you to bolt it on with about three dozen 00-90 flat head machine screws.  Would look awesome, and you'd get hundreds, if not thousands of screaming fans on Stunt Hangar.  S?P Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
Take advantage of modern technology- eight small super magnets mounted in pairs at each corner of the base would do it.  Leave a small crack to slip and exacto knife in and pop the magnets apart.  Some of the local RC guys use that system to hold the battery in place.
phil Cartier

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the suggestions and replies.

Here's a shot of the canopy area. The ink line is where I have the canopy trimmed. I left room in case I decided to use small machine screws.

I was thinking along the same lines as Steve, however, I would like a liminated amount of fasteners.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here