News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recent Drone ruling in Canada, FYI  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Recent Drone ruling in Canada, FYI
« on: March 16, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »
MAAC Members and Clubs Receive Exemptions

Transport Canada’s announcement of interim regulations for drone use will impact model aviation enthusiasts across the country that are flying any model aircraft between 250g and 35kg. The regulations place restrictions on how high model aircraft can be flown, and minimum distances from people and buildings when flying that will severely limit how and where people can enjoy the hobby. The announcement states that not only must recreational users put their contact information on drones, but also that they may not fly higher than 90 metres, within 150 metres of buildings, vehicles or people, or within 9 kilometres of the centre of any aerodrome.

However, within the regulations is an exemption for Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) Members flying at MAAC sanction fields and/or events. The exemption granted to MAAC members and sanctioned events is crucial to the continued operation of hundreds of clubs across the country.

The Transport Canada Advisory group of MAAC and the Board of Directors on behalf of The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada acknowledges Transport Canada's safety concerns and is appreciative for the clear recognition of the long history of safe operations by our membership. One of MAAC’s primary goals is keeping our members informed and educated on how to enjoy the hobby while keeping safety in the forefront, and that effort has paid off with this exemption.

One of the results of the regulations will be a surge of people looking to find a home within MAAC and MAAC member clubs. If we want this exemption to continue, it is crucial these new members be made to feel welcome and that they are educated on safe model operations. MAAC encourages members, clubs, and club executives to welcome these new members and/or actively assist them in forming their own interest specific clubs.

The interim regulations also call for active enforcement by local police forces, which may create issues for some members and clubs. MAAC recommends clubs contact their local authorities and ensure they are aware of the club’s existence, MAAC affiliation, and the Transport Canada exemption.

About The Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC):
MAAC is Canada’s internationally and federally recognized model aviation sanctioning body. Additionally, MAAC is a sitting member of Canadian Aviation Regulatory Advisory Council (CARAC), holds corporate membership with Unmanned Systems Canada (USC) and is a voting member of the FAI and the Aero Club of Canada.

For over 65 years the association has provided leadership, safety guidelines, and liability insurance to individual members, clubs, and field owners. MAAC serves over 11,500 members and more than 350 clubs across Canada. MAAC members are active in all disciplines of model aviation including free-flight, control line, radio controlled and include turbine powered models, multi-rotor aircraft, RC boating, rocketry and Drones
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Recent Drone ruling in Canada, FYI
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
How are you going to get this through to the people that are going to by new equipment for the first time?   I remember when the FAA thing started in the states especially here in Kansas I asked if the Harbor Freight store knew about the registering of the RC planes/toys they were selling even a couple of other stores.   They had not heard of it let alone they did not know about the AMA(Academy of Model Aeronautics).   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »
This looks similar to the US version except the virtual mandate to join MAAC rather than get an FAA certificate.  That would mean they would all have insurance coverage- seems smart to me.
John as far as training, heck they could come here to Kansas State Polytec and take the $1400, 5 day course.  (bring your own lunch). Maybe I'm in the wrong business.......

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Ian MacNeil

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
Do you have a link to the source of this info? I couldn't find anything dated later than April 2015
on either the MOT or MAAC site.
Can't fly within 500 ft. of a building. What if you have a clubhouse or outhouse on your approved
flying sight? Does this mean a person can't fly control line in their back yard if they are within
500 ft. of their own buildings? This directive seems to have the same pitfalls as that put out by
the FAA and AMA.

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
Here is the link:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-respecting-use-model-aircraft.html

Edit: Please note the MAAC president got the distance wrong in his letter - transport Canada stipulates 250ft (75m) from buildings and such.

Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
Klyde Morris instructs in Drone Flying at Zif's Flight School. If you aren't familiar with Klyde and Ziff, don't feel too badly...it's sorta' like a "Festivus for the Restuvus"...gotta' be with the "in crowd".... 
dg

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
As a MAAC member I received (as everybody did) the same notice in the E-mail yesterday.  There was also a short blurb on the Canadian T.V. news last night.  So I guess the word is out to some degree.  One comment from a drone vendor (young guy with his buddy standing in the background) was  "Yes a few people have ruined it for everybody." (not a direct quote, but words to that effect).  The footage also mentioned "night flying" and that it would not be allowed, as the film showed a drone in the dark flying between/around high rise buildings in a metro down town area (Toronto?).   They did mention commercial use of drones were exempt from the rules. 

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
"Yes a few people have ruined it for everybody."

It is unfortunate but true.

I know a few guys, now working with Realtors commercially, who have never flown model airplanes but take a serious attitude with what they are doing.

Tempting to go after the drone money in the real estate business. A business that's droneing, err, I meant, growing.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here