News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:52:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proposed KOI Changes  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
Proposed KOI Changes
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »
PROPOSED KOI CHANGES

Since it seems that construction at both naval bases has caused aviation to be moved to OLF Whitehouse, for an undetermined time, I can not get a commitment to host the KOI at OLF. Therefore, I contacted an RC club and will be having a meeting with them to discuss hosting the KOI at their field. Shadetree Miniature Aircraft club is located in Glen St. Mary, FL. It is about twenty miles from OLF. I would also like you to consider my proposal to change the date of our contest from MLK weekend to the second week in December. As you know, we generally have better weather in December.

I would like to have your opinion, yea or nay, by Saturday, September 3, 2016, as I need to get the sanction papers in to AMA as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Gene Martine
KOI CD
gmflying@bellsouth.net
904-786-8650

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
Re: Proposed KOI Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
Gene, so the KOI trophy would have 2 winners' names for 2016?

Curt

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Gene,

Will there be scale and sport scale at KOI?

Is the proposed field grass?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »
Gene, so the KOI trophy would have 2 winners' names for 2016?

Curt

As good as Steve Fitton has been flying , if he continues to stay on his game ,  he can just put a 2 on  the 2016  plaque..

I will be there any time Gene decides to have it,  Really enjoy the Koi,  I have only missed a couple in the last 20 plus years... I like the cool weather , but  if we avoid  the bad weather  , it would be better .
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »
From what I've experienced in my four years in Florida, December is usually pretty mild, around the 60s-70s and the wind usually isn't as bad in December either.

I vote yay, even though I highly doubt I'll be able to make the contest.
Matt Colan

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 12:03:56 AM »
Gene, I have my e-mail problem(that I mentioned Saturday morning) straightened out. I'll send your document Sunday morning. I have about 225 or so people on my distribution list.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 05:53:57 AM »
From what I've experienced in my four years in Florida, December is usually pretty mild, around the 60s-70s and the wind usually isn't as bad in December either.

I agree, December is typically more mild.

Curt

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:53:29 AM »
December IS milder....but folk with lives outside of toy aeroplanes generally have pretty full plates on December weekends....

I would favor April or May

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 07:21:35 AM »
KOI History

Many of you already know the history of the King Orange Internationals that it started in Miami, Fl in the 1950, the last weekend in December.
I'm going to try to fill you in from the time that the X-47 Flyers took over the event.  Now the 1st. Coast Control Line Flyers have it.
Around 20 years ago the KOI was held on the last weekend in December by a club around the Orlando, FL area. We were getting a little nervous because we haven't heard anything about the KOI date and location. We finally made contact with the club sometime in November and was told that they weren't going to sponsor the event.  We contacted Joe Mead who was the contest coordinator at the time and walked all the paperwork thought. Now, you have to remember this is around  mid to late November, so, to give more time for the event notice to get around, we chose MLK weekend.
Since then the KOI has been held in several areas on MLK weekend. We had some good weather & some not so good. Yes, most times it's cold in the morning but, it always warns up.

I hope this answers some of the questions out there, any yes there will be 2 KOI winners this year. You also have to remember that when the X-47 Flyers took over the event there wasn't a KOI winner the few weeks before that MLK
weekend.
Gene

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »
Gene,
Although  December is a bit milder it is difficult to get a free weekend. The MLK weekend gave us two days for the contest and one day at home or to travel that many didn't need to take a day off work. One option would be to try to move it south a little.

In 1994, the first KOI I flew in when I move down here,  was held in mid February (I think it was Presidents Weekend) which was the same weekend as the Daytona 500. The contest was held at the Flagler Airport near Palm Coast. With the 500 going on hotels were a problem, next year they move to MLK weekend.

I know we had some issues with guys driving across the active runway but if there are other areas on the Flagler airport property maybe it would work. It was a great location, easy to get to off 95. Don't know how we get a dialog started but maybe there are some guys that live near Palm Coast that could test the waters.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
Dennis:
That was the contest that the X-47 took over. It was MLK weekend.
Gene

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »
Gene,
Although  December is a bit milder it is difficult to get a free weekend. The MLK weekend gave us two days for the contest and one day at home or to travel that many didn't need to take a day off work. One option would be to try to move it south a little.

In 1994, the first KOI I flew in when I move down here,  was held in mid February (I think it was Presidents Weekend) which was the same weekend as the Daytona 500. The contest was held at the Flagler Airport near Palm Coast. With the 500 going on hotels were a problem, next year they move to MLK weekend.

I know we had some issues with guys driving across the active runway but if there are other areas on the Flagler airport property maybe it would work. It was a great location, easy to get to off 95. Don't know how we get a dialog started but maybe there are some guys that live near Palm Coast that could test the waters.

Best,    DennisT

I remember the Flagler airport well, first time I met Roy Tranthum , I crashed my Skydancer on Saturday and went to a local bar on the beach  ( very close by ) to  soak my sorrows , then to get up my nerve to start the repair , with  glue and wood from Curt Contrata and help from others , repaired broken fuselage and competed on Sunday in pampa,.

Nice site , close  to motels , close to beach , close to bars too...
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »

The Flagler airport is very busy with a lot of VFR traffic, especially from embry-riddle when the weather is nice. I would doubt the airport manager would allow a contest to take place given the amount of traffic that there is at that airport. There is an RC club near the airport that is under the approach path of runways 24/29, but isn't suitable for a control-line contest.

Matt Colan

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
Here is a link to Gene Martine's proposal for KOI changes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvra6cshs5opiln/Proposed%20KOI%20Change.doc?dl=0

Ignore any "Sign-In" requests, give it a few seconds to load, and then you can read or download the document.
Thanks,
Rusty

P.S. I also emailed this document on Monday to the 220 or so addresses in my MCLS club newsletter distribution list. This includes some of you. And sometimes for a couple of weeks after my large newsletter mailing, I'm red-flagged, therefore, if you are on that mailing list, it's possible you could have recieved Gene's document from me in your junk or spam folder.

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 04:36:56 AM »
December does not work for me. Too close to Christmas.

Derek

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 06:47:22 AM »
Gene, I support any and all changes you feel inclined to make to deal with the weather and site availability etc.  My thanks to you for taking on the KOI and for the great job you did last year working around some pretty rough weather!

I probably can't make it to a December date because the kids have too much stuff going on (Christmas Pageant, Christmas dance show, etc etc etc), but, given that there are not many contestants with small kids anymore (me and Derek?) I would just go with what works best for the majority of the contestants.
Steve

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 08:18:47 PM »
What Steve said! I haven't been to the KOI since 1976. Will try real hard to make it this year. Retired now..."Free Wheelin Franklin!"  ;D
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 09:54:25 PM »
December is better for me. After the holiday season, I'm burned out, don't want to go anywhere or do anything or see anybody. I have cousins in Jax too, so it would be an enjoyable trip. The only trouble for me is being tethered to my dialysis clinic in Columbia, meaning I'd have to arrive late on Friday and leave early on Sunday. Hopefully I could squeeze in a Profile event and a PAMPA stunt event. I guess those are on Saturday and early Sunday.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here