News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:52:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: President Bob Browns perspective.  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
President Bob Browns perspective.
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
Bob Brown on multirotors and change. "It is ironic that these changes have created some irritation with traditionalists. It is only natural that some people are reluctant to change". I thought Wow, I am an irritated traditionalist. Thats good to know. I can't print what I thought after reading that.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: President Bob Browns perspective.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38:49 PM »
Bob Brown on multirotors and change. "It is ironic that these changes have created some irritation with traditionalists. It is only natural that some people are reluctant to change". I thought Wow, I am an irritated traditionalist. Thats good to know. I can't print what I thought after reading that.
Wayne

Yeah, it made me angry too.  But then most of what Bob Brown has done for the past 50 years has made me angry so I wasn't a bit surprised.  He's always simply chased the money.  The only thing I never understood is why anyone voted for him ever!

Sorta like Hillary Clinton!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »

Bob Brownhole and his views of AMA's "future" are the single biggest reason I didn't re-up in 2016.  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »
When they get some people in AMA that will return the emphasis to true model airplanes I will consider rejoining.   Until then, I'm out.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:16:05 AM »
I am working on it Rusty.   BWHAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAAAA

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
With this little feeble brain I have left,  the thought just came to me about way back when,  did the free flight get in an up roar when IC engines first used in free flight competition.  S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
I find it very refreshing that there is some competition for the job of AMA President.  This sure beats "who will take the job?"

On that note, I could use some help in my campaign to make Macomb County controline safe.

Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 07:49:05 PM »
Brown is obviously chasing the money. Shame PAMPA can't come up with a way to underwrite insurance so we could tell the AMA adios.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 08:20:39 PM »
Randy I have been wanting to see that for years....

Mike

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
The highest number of scratch builders that's ever been at my flying field since I've joined the club was when the quad racers came for a meet.  One of the guys is on the team that made the then-record holder quad that was good for 109 miles an hour.  That counts as "real modeling" for me.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 09:06:59 PM »
Be that as it may, those things are NOT model airplanes, despite what Bob ('Follow The Money') Brown says.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »
The highest number of scratch builders that's ever been at my flying field since I've joined the club was when the quad racers came for a meet.  One of the guys is on the team that made the then-record holder quad that was good for 109 miles an hour.  That counts as "real modeling" for me.

Racing  the quads is probably one of the best and interesting uses for them. The St. Louis County Parks Dept. set aside a small area for the local guys to race that is right across from our speed circle. one thing I have noticed is that you can hardly see them. If I didn't know what was going on in that area already, I surely could not tell just from looking. The other thing I noticed is that they crash a lot. And that means rebuilding the air frames, but that isn't as much work as it may sound like. To build them, it's mostly assembling parts, not too much unlike an Erector Set. They mix and match components some to get the performance they want or need. But one thing I have asked our club to observe is, will they still be here a years from now? In my observation, they are much like the R/C cars guys, almost no life long R/C car enthusiasts in our area as far as I know, but there are many life long model airplane enthusiasts. Car guys come and go because they get to a certain point or level and say "is that all there is?", bet bored with it and move on to other things. When you get right down to it, it's the same way with the quads. There is really not much you can do with the things. Yes, they make a great tool for a lot of endeavors in the business world and such, but as a sport/hobby, it is pretty limited, and as someone has mentioned, it is really just a fad and from my observations in my area, is starting to pass already. I just wonder what the next "Big Thing" will be?
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:49:06 PM »
I’m not a fan of the multirotors and, like many here, have primarily been concerned that a few idiots might spend several hundred dollars on something they can’t control, then go out and create havoc - the end result being that we are all severely limited in our ability to fly.

But, time for confession: I had the same concerns when weight restrictions began allowing models weighing more than about a ton.  When 1/3 scale J-3 Cubs were routinely flown by (sometimes unreliable) radio control.  When models powered by actual jet engines started showing up at RC fields.

And here we are, knock on wood.  The years have passed; models have gotten bigger, heavier, faster, and we can still enjoy our own brand of flying.

The current definition of model airplane at Wikipedia reads:

“A model aircraft is a small sized unmanned aircraft or, in the case of a scale model, a replica of an existing or imaginary aircraft. Model aircraft are divided into two basic groups: flying and non-flying. Non-flying models are also termed static, display, or shelf models.”

With all due respect, I read that definition to include multirotors.  Not that I’m overly “protective” of that particular species, but I do think sometimes we get a bit too … um, er, ah … rigidly conventional?

Just sayin’ …

Dennis

PS: With all the concern about ARFs, new modelers not learning skills, yada yada, I have yet in all my years on the forums to see anyone complaining about the 10-year-old kid who buys a Guillow's glider at the corner drug store and flies it at the local park or school.  Are we to condemn that too?!?

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” - Charles Darwin

"Change is the law of life.  And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F. Kennedy
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

John Gluth

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Be that as it may, those things are NOT model airplanes, despite what Bob ('Follow The Money') Brown says.

Correct Mike! Seems a opportunity to point-out once again. Multirotor hovering toys are related to aeromodeling only as much as rollercoasters are related to Amtrak.

It is understandable however, that people outside of our hobby mistake multirotor platforms for model airplanes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:21:27 AM by John Gluth »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here