News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:43:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Powermaster  (Read 1976 times)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Powermaster
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
While doing a prop search at my LHS, we got to yakking about Powermaster fuels. I was lamenting that I would have to figure how to use the "Aircraft" mix...18% oil....
Bob said that Powermaster had been puschased by VP Fuels and that all of the blends were going to be available...

http://www.powermasterfuels.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=8

Has anyone tried the "new" stuff?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Powermaster
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
Old news, Powermaster has been owned by VP for several years now.  I've been running the VP/Powermaster GMA mix and like it (except for the batch that turned everyones airplane purple -- fortunately that's gone).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »
While doing a prop search at my LHS, we got to yakking about Powermaster fuels. I was lamenting that I would have to figure how to use the "Aircraft" mix...18% oil....

What is it that you think you need figure out? This fuel, more-or-less unaltered, has won the NATS 4-5 times already, pre and post-VP. Actually the VP version is better because the cans actually have an entire gallon, and the nitro is as stated. They got rid of the purple dye (at least partially at my request).

Brett

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »
Since I moved to Dallas, I have been using GMA 10/22 exclusively and, if you can't or won't mix your own stuff, I think this is the way to go. I have used it in everything from TT46's to Moki 150's. Great, great fuel.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
   What is it that you think you need figure out? This fuel, more-or-less unaltered, has won the NATS 4-5 times already, pre and post-VP. Actually the VP version is better because the cans actually have an entire gallon, and the nitro is as stated. They got rid of the purple dye (at least partially at my request).

Brett

Yes they got a complaint from me as well, they were actually very responsive when contacted ,, though I am still waiting on my replacement gallon of fuel LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:05 AM »
I didn't realize that it has been a while since VP bought the product name and announced that it was reproducing the Stunt blends...
I was going to try to understand more about using the airplane 18% blend, especially after reading the information that David Fitzgerald posted on SSW on how to hop the airplane stuff up to resemble the old blends.

Thanks for the help!

Have fun!

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:48:23 AM »
I bought a case of the 10/22 last year. Add 3% castor for older Enyas but everything else runs just fine on it as-is.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Since I moved to Dallas, I have been using GMA 10/22 exclusively and, if you can't or won't mix your own stuff, I think this is the way to go. I have used it in everything from TT46's to Moki 150's. Great, great fuel.

Does the 10/22 work ok in the Fox .35 stunt, McCoy .35 redhead, Johnson Conbat Special, O.S. Max .35s.  I have tons of these old engines around and want to run some of them again........thanks.   D>K    H^^

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
The purple dye has not been added for a few years now so is not an issue unless you get an old can. Dave's post specifically addressed spiking their regular R/C fuel to be closer to their Ro-Jett Blend which was  17% synthetic, 5% castor and is no longer being made. Other than that, Powermaster 10/22 is a great choice for most modern stunt engines, maybe with a shot of Randy's Aero Oil if that is your preference.  8)

Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »

Does the 10/22 work ok in the Fox .35 stunt, McCoy .35 redhead, Johnson Conbat Special, O.S. Max .35s.  I have tons of these old engines around and want to run some of them again........thanks.   D>K    H^^
I would say no, there is not enough oil, and predomenantly the recomendation for these engines is something more on the order of 26 to 28%, I believe Sig makes an appropriate fuel for these older engines
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
Sig makes a 25% all castor fuel. Add 2.6 ounces of synthetic lube to it and you have a good blend for all the engines you mentioned. Read Randy's posts on this subject in the engine section for more info.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
I didn't realize that it has been a while since VP bought the product name and announced that it was reproducing the Stunt blends...
I was going to try to understand more about using the airplane 18% blend, especially after reading the information that David Fitzgerald posted on SSW on how to hop the airplane stuff up to resemble the old blends.

Thats not "hopping it up", it's trying to get the same run quality as the (now unavailable) RO-Jett fuel. The difference is not the amount of power (which hasn't been an issue for about 30 years now) but to change the way the engine runs in the corners. He got started on RO-Jett after seeing (in real-time) the same effects described here on my RO-Jett:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/everything-matters/

One he discovered similar effects on the PA75, he used RO-Jett fuel, too. Then it got discontinued, so I asked him to experiment with adding oil to the regular fuel to see if he could get the same effect (since that was the only difference as far as we knew). He did that and found the alteration.  It also works on the 15% fuel, for which there wasn't any such thing as "15% RO-jett" generally available. I use variations on the 18% and RO-Jett fuel to control how much boost/brake I get in the corners. Its like changing the gain on one's Igor gadget.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here