News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pilot needed? For the Gee Bee R-3  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Pilot needed? For the Gee Bee R-3
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
I hope you glued it in solid!  Years ago one of the guys in our club asked me to fix up a pilot for him for his speed plane.  I took a Williams Brothers pilot,  chopped his head off and glued it on at an angle per Al Rabe's pilots, and then painted it up real nice.

I should have used better glue.

During it's first race at the Nats (a .21 engine displacement - sort-of team race looking plane) the head came off and spent it's time bouncing around the cockpit.

Oh well.

I now run a dowel up the torso and into the head and glue it.  That's gotta hurt!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Pilot needed? For the Gee Bee R-3
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
I now run a dowel up the torso and into the head and glue it.  That's gotta hurt!

Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

I remember reading someone saying they had a pilot who's head fell off.

The head I made is balsa and the torso is plastic, so I did exactly what you said. I also Epoxied everything in place, head, dowel torso and all.

Weighs a ton.  LL~

Well, more than most pilots.

I expect to do many touch n goes with the model it's going in, so I just wanted to be sure. Overkill works for me, even in my building.

Thanks again for your reply. It's appreciated.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here