News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OT: World Series  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OT: World Series
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »
Who will win best 4 of 7?  Cubs or Indians?  What say you?
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OT: World Series
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:23:05 PM »
   I'm really torn on this one! I want to pull for the Indians, but being from an NL team city, I should root for the Cubs. But the Redbird/Cub rivalry almost forbids that!
   I haven't heard anything about Bill Zimmer in recent history, but if Zim is still around and healthy I hope the Cubs win it while Bill is still on the planet! Years ago, at a contest in Quincy, IL, Bill was judging the class I was flying at the time (either beginner or intermediate) and when it was my turn to fly the first round, I slipped on a Cubs hat before I went to the circle. I don't remember where I got it (it must have been a freebie, and I wouldn't "buy" a Cubs hat!)  When I got out there to run my lines out and set up the handle, Zim yelled out to me, "That ain't gonna help you McEntee!" I still have the hat somewhere in my collection.
   Bill was a pretty cool dude, and a great stunt judge.
    Type at you later,
    Dan "Torn" McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:07:19 AM »
   I'm really torn on this one! I want to pull for the Indians, but being from an NL team city, I should root for the Cubs.

I am not sure who to root for, because while I am also in an NL area, I can't forget the 3-run lead blown in the 9th inning by the Giants. Get past that, and they are in the series yet again, in all likelihood.

Cleveland pitching absolutely closed down Toronto after they had blown out Texas in game after game. It's probably harder to do that to the Cubs but my great inclination after having watched and listened to baseball for 50+ years is that pitching and defense generally wins.

Brett

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 12:45:48 AM »
Since the Giants are out, I don't really have a dog in the fight. I was happy to see the Cubs fairly easily take out the Dodgers (hate the Dodgers) but the Indians pitching is better than LA's, save for Kershaw.

I dunno, it's a tough call. I guess I'd like to see the Cubs win their first WS since 1908.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

John Leidle

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 01:03:30 AM »
  The Tribe's starting rotation is not at full strength I dont remember who but 2 are injured not counting Bauer. However they have a very strong pitching staff. They have veterans & strong upcoming young players. The Cubbys were and are so highly rated with veterans. I dont buy into the Joe Madden stuff I think he is over rated, I believe Francona edges him out. Something tells me Chi town will take it.  But I am behind the Tribe this year as an 8 year old they were my first favorite team, always followed them. Too many Johnny Come Latelys following the Cubs to satisfy me I doubt many Cub fans remember Fergeson Jenkins & who was the manager in the late 60's. None of it matters I beleive it will be a Classic Series.
                                John

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 04:11:19 AM »
No question for me. Go Tribe!
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 05:47:24 AM »
My hometown is in Northwest Indiana, on the Lake Michigan shoreline, so most cheered for all the Chicago teams.  There was always some rivalry between the White Sox and Cubs.  The Sox are on the south side, which is considered to be more of a blue collar area.  The Cubs are on the north side, a "somewhat more affluent area", from what I have been told.  It was good to see the Sox win it in 2005.  Maybe it is the Cubs' turn.

I favor the Sox when it comes to which baseball team to support but it was tough watching the Cubs melt down over the years.  In '69 the Mets overtook them.  Hard to believe the Mets lost 120 games seven years earlier.  The Cubs had another chance in '84 but San Diego won the NL title.  And, most baseball fans remember the Bartman incident in 2003 and the Marlins went on to win that year.

The White Sox went 88 years between World Series titles.  As far as the Cubs go, Halley's comet has been back twice since the last time the Cubs won the World Series.

With the World Series being played in two northern cities, in open air stadiums, they may be shoveling snow off the fields.  The season is way too long and bad weather is likely so late in October.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:52:50 AM »
I too am torn.

I have Cleveland roots, but ya gotta pull for the perpetual down and out Cubs.

Too bad there cannot be two winners.

Jim Hoffman

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 06:59:32 AM »
Go Tribe!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 07:35:50 AM »
Fergi Jenkins, local hero around these parts . Watched him play in a couple of benefit softball games after he retired . What an arm . The fences were away too short also .

Not too many people around Chatham - Kent that don't know him . Most folks around here will be rooting for the Cubs.Even Tigers fans like me .

Brad LaPointe

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:04 AM »
Well John I remember Fergie and the MGR "Leo the Lip" (I don't know how to spell Deroscher ?) lol  GO CUBS GO !!! I also remember the Cubs on WGN and no night games at Wrigley.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
Wow! Could it be that Cleveland will be the NEW City of Champions? I've always been a fan of the Indians!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
Wow! Could it be that Cleveland will be the NEW City of Champions? I've always been a fan of the Indians!

Enjoy it while it lasts, the NBA season is about to start and don't count on a repeat there.

Brett

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 01:03:19 PM »
My Mother went to school with the Colavito's in the Bronx N.Y.. Go Indians..

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »
Rasied in a NL area and a Giants fan since 1958I have to go with the Cubs. Just glad I don't have to make the distinction between Dodgers and Cleveland.

Giants had Games 1 and 4 won, should have been. Who sends 5 relief pitchers in to try and close the 9th. Should have left Moore in,the guy had a 2 hitter thru 8!!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »
  Hendricks pitched a masterful game last night. Lost the no hitter on the first pitch, but faced the minimum through the 8th inning when he allowed the second hit I think. With Chapman warmed up in the bull pen, I would have left him in to see if he could have got the DP and still be at the minimum and take it to the ninth.He was only in the 70's as far as pitch count I think and didn't seem to be in any distress. That would have been a neat capper on the night. I'm still torn and undecided!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

John Leidle

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
  Game 1 will be nice birthday present to me. It will be great for me to watch it.
                    John
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:40:31 PM by John Leidle »

Dwayne

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Gotta pull for the Cubs, they haven't won in over 100 years. GO CUBS  y1 #^ ~>

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
Been an Indians fan since 1946, but I was rooting for the Cubs to make it to the series because, in my opinion, having these two formerly down and out teams rebound and be in the series is wonderful for baseball.
However, having said that, go Tribe!!!!!! #^ #^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 05:28:19 PM »
 I'm rooting for the  Indians. This is mostly because of the St. Louis/Chicago rivalry. Also because I don't want to give The cubs fans here satisfaction. Even if they do win, so what? Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while. LL~

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
Typical reply I'd expect from a Cardinals fan !!! lol  Need a crying towel ???
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
Awe hell no.... CUBS!!!

Offline Phillip Kenney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »
I think MLB should allow Charlie Sheen "Wild Thing" to throw the first ball out in Cleveland and Bill Murray in Chicago!
And for a Winner , Cleveland!

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 03:49:12 AM »
Big NL fan here,but my team was out early. Nothing personal against the Cubs,but some streaks just shouldn't be broken. This is one of them! I am rooting for the streak to continue.
AMA 98010

Mark_Gerber

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 06:23:48 AM »
I grew up in a small town about 60 miles south of Cleveland and the Indians were always my team (until I moved to the Boston area after college).

I hope the Indians win it in the 12th inning of the 7th game.

Mark Gerber

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 06:32:21 AM »
ok but do this

there is a petition to have Bob Uecker call the game. I am nont a Job buck fan on any level and have heard Bob call games for years. 

Just think of the "Major League" jokes.

http://us995.cbslocal.com/2016/10/23/petition-to-replace-joe-buck-with-bob-uecker-for-world-series-broadcasts/
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
I don't follow baseball but I usually do show some interest in the World Series each year.
That means I'm pulling for the Cubs based on the fact that Cleveland has Lebron James while the city of Chicago has--------------well----------I'm thinking-----------oh yeah, great food!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
The real winner here is Steve Bartman! (Google that name...)

Bob Hunt

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
The real winner here is Steve Bartman! (Google that name...)

Bob Hunt

I was thinking about that yesterday.
I was also thinking, I wonder if who ever sits in that seat, has any idea of its significance.

"Give em the heater Rickey!"

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 07:43:18 PM »
   There is another perspective to look at this. If the Cubs win, that will give them the fourth title in the "Grand Slam of sports. Chicago could claim to be "Title Town," because they would have won the Super Bowl, NBA Championships, The Stanley Cup, and finally the World Series. I think like others have said, it will be a classic series and go seven games. Recent World Series broadcasts haven't drawn great ratings, but I bet this one will show marked improvement.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight, but gotta be the cubbies.......about time to break the billygoat curse

K

Offline Brad Jungheim

• New Pilot
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »
Dan, don't forget the Chicago White Sox won the World Series this Century so the Cubs would only be adding to "Title Town"

Go Cubs!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 08:52:49 PM »
Cubs gonna' win it all...finally.

Also, it's time to forgive Bartman.  After all, he wasn't the ONLY one reaching for that fly ball.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 09:30:13 PM »
  Well, tonight's the night! It will ALL be settled! It's the eighth inning and the Tribe just tied the game 6-6! And it's starting to drizzle a bit. I'll be slow getting up in the morning!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 10:44:30 PM »
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

Tim

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »
Cubs Win!!!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »
Cubs did win, bless 'em.  But hats off to Cleveland...they played well.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
Good for the Cubs!  H^^

Here's my baseball story.

As a kid, I never played organized baseball, that would be Little League Baseball, because I was busy doing gymnastics. However, I did play sandlot baseball almost every night. I played shortstop.

Eventually, I wanted to play organized baseball, and at my age then, that would be the Babe Ruth League.

Not playing Little League before, coaches paid no attention to my efforts at tryouts. Yes, I was an exceptional ball player especially because of my gymnastics and strength, but coaches were eyeing those players that they were familiar with from Little League.

Well, I didn’t get picked and I was devastated. In fact there were 14 of us that didn’t get picked.

The 14 of us made the Bad News Bears look like a church choir. Really a bad group of kids.

I got a call about a two weeks after tryouts. Guy on the phone said, “You wanna play ball?”

Obviously I said yes.

This guy actually petitioned the Board and they finally allowed him a new team because of us 14 players that didn’t get picked.

Remember, we were the players not a single coach wanted.

I’ll make this short.

The 14 kids that no coach wanted, our team, we became the Division Champions two years in a row.

Absolutely a true story.

Yes, I played shortstop.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »
What a classic series!  Game seven, extra innings, one run difference in the score; it just doesn't get any better than that.  Oops, I'm wrong, it could have been better if my Indians had been on top.  Oh well, that's life.
Congrats to the Cubbies.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »
I played a lot of sandlot ball too. I grew up in a developing '60s neighborhood with plenty of vacant lots, and one Dad built a backstop in the lot next door to his house. I played little league when I was 12 and 13 too, but was much better at the sandlot game, and also at intramural baseball in Jr. High. I never cared much for TV major league until I moved to Atlanta for college and was forever after an MLB Braves and National League fan. I wanted to pull for the Indians, but I've always liked the Cubs, been to Wrigley, and couldn't break ties with the NL, so I watched, and would have been happy with either team winning. I really enjoyed game 7, and got to sleep-in this morning.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »
ok but do this

there is a petition to have Bob Uecker call the game. I am nont a Job buck fan on any level and have heard Bob call games for years. 

Just think of the "Major League" jokes.

http://us995.cbslocal.com/2016/10/23/petition-to-replace-joe-buck-with-bob-uecker-for-world-series-broadcasts/

The real winner here is anyone who got to watch even part of a single game.  The competitiveness and the caliber of pitching, for the most part, was really something to behold.

I'll admit my personal favorites are football and wrestling before baseball, but it was easily my best sport.  Having a Dad and several uncles who were very good players, I was around it from an early age.  And, while some think baseball is about as exciting as watching grass grow, many of us who played it seriously know there's so much more happening than what is seen by most fans.

I think one of the greatest Mano a Mano duels is simply a pitcher facing a batter.  (Though I may never understand how so many major league players fall short of a .300 batting average ...).  Davis fouling off pitch after pitch in the 8th inning, then belting one over the fence was classic!

But the real point of my post:  Hearing Bob Eucker do the play-by-play for a Series would be ... Priceless!  He's a real stitch!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2016, 02:25:42 AM »

I think one of the greatest Mano a Mano duels is simply a pitcher facing a batter.  (Though I may never understand how so many major league players fall short of a .300 batting average ...)

Dennis

You sir have never face a ninety mile an hour fast ball.
Which is hard enough. Then look at a ninety mile an hour fast ball with any kind of movement.
All you can do is shake you head, walk back to the dugout, and hope you never have to face that guy again.
Been there, done that.
And that's why I never made the bigs.

Larry, Buttafuffo Stunt Team

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2016, 04:32:59 AM »
I am glad it's over. Unfortunately the Tribe didn't win. Maybe next year without all of the injuries. Best part is I don't have to hear the Cubies whine and whine and whine on how they have been neglected for a hundred years. Better yet the coverage team is done. A-Rod and Rose were terrible. All five were in the tank for the Cubs.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »
   Someone had the following sign outside a business where I work, " Congratulation Chicago Cubs! Next World Series win......2124!!!!

The pitching was very good on both sides, but Madden almost screwed the pooch with his pitcher use! When they brought in Chapman I told my wife to watch him blow the lead, and he did! The Cubs were very lucky to win that game and the Indians just couldn't seal the deal. The defense on both sides was lacking on several occasions, something you wouldn't expect from World Series teams. But the TV ratings were up quite a bit and MLB was probably very glad of that. Chicago needed help from St. Louis in the end, though. They couldn't print enough WS T-shirts fast enough so had to get help from some firms here in town!
   Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in 4 months!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 11:27:46 PM »
You sir have never face a ninety mile an hour fast ball.
Which is hard enough. Then look at a ninety mile an hour fast ball with any kind of movement.
All you can do is shake you head, walk back to the dugout, and hope you never have to face that guy again.
Been there, done that.
And that's why I never made the bigs.

Larry, Buttafuffo Stunt Team

Now, now Larry, I beg to differ.  Been in the batter's box for many pitches facing fast balls & curve balls thrown by a major league farm system arm.

To each his own ... I can't sing without driving people away, can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but can't imagine how almost anyone can't simply put a bat out and bunt a baseball pitched at any speed.  In a chosen direction even.

We all have different abilities I guess.  I was blessed with ridiculous reactions, though cursed with lots of shortcomings.

I guess if anything comes relatively easily for us, it's hard to imagine why it should be difficult for others?

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2016, 01:34:53 PM »
Yes it was great seeing the Cubs win.  But I almost lost control of my emotions when I read on the internet about the 85 year old Cubs fan who was a barber.  Was said he always had a Cubs banner in the barber shop and always conversations about the team.  Was said he had his own TV watching that last game.  The hospice care taker told them the hearing was the last thing to go.  His family whispered to him the Cubs had finally won the World Series.  3 hours later he left this world for a better place..
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here