News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oriental Fun Project  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Oriental Fun Project
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
Latest from the Chipmunk Works...

Last year Brodak was having a fire sale on die-cut kits and had Oriental Profiles for $60.00USD. What the heck, I ordered one thinking it would be a fun weekend beater. They sent me the laser cut full fuse version instead. I called them and they said just keep it if I wanted.

Changed to a Big Jim nose with removable tank and replaced the wussy stock 1/4" flaps with 3/8 C-grain", but other than that it's right off the plans.

We're locked up in winter mode and mama says no more dope inside until the weather clears. I already have two ships to paint as soon as the weather breaks so rather than having it sit around uncovered and unfinished I went Ultracoat. I'm not disappointed with the Ultracoat. Vastly superior to modern MonoKote.

Need to have vinyl AMA numbers cut for it and a night or two of details, but she's basically ready to go. Canopy's not glued on and I may add more cockpit detail.

For reasons I can't explain, this one came out a featherweight. Wood was good but not great, but it still came out really light. Should be OK as long as the wind doesn't blow too hard.  OS .35S for power.

This ship was a fun diversion from modern designs. Kit goes together easily. Decent hardware - adequate for something in this class. The only minus was that the supplied leadout cable was too short.

Chuck

AMA 76478

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Oriental Fun Project
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
Great looking plane !!
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
Oriental looks great.  No surprise about lead out material.  That is why I buy extra lead out material.  Now I wait for flight reports.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
Looks great! I like the colors!

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 04:27:01 PM by Motorman »

Offline Tommy Swonke

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:26:01 AM »
Hello Chuck, I'm about to start building a Brodak die-cut Oriental kit. It will be my first build in 54 yrs. Are there any little tips or suggestions you can give me?  I'll be mounting an Evo 36cl on the nose, what do you think ?  I only hope mine turns out at least half as good as yours did !  Yours is beautiful !

Tommy

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
Pretty!
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:19:15 AM »
Hello Chuck, I'm about to start building a Brodak die-cut Oriental kit. It will be my first build in 54 yrs. Are there any little tips or suggestions you can give me?  I'll be mounting an Evo 36cl on the nose, what do you think ?  I only hope mine turns out at least half as good as yours did !  Yours is beautiful !

Tommy

Thanks for the kind words. The Oriental requires a lot of shaping blocks for the nose and wingtips. A good professional sanding block and some fresh 60 or 80 grit will make quick work of the shaping. It's easier for me to get the curves that way than carving, where things can go bad quickly. I also built mine with a crutch in the nose and removable tank ala Big Jim. With the Evo 36 you'll have more than enough power, so stiffening the nose will help with the engine run. The Oriental is a fun ship to build, great styling. Enjoy your build!

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Tommy Swonke

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »
Thank you for responding Chuck, I chose the profile version, thinking it would be a simpler build and I'm sure it is. but as I look through the kit I see it's gonna' require a little expertise. I'm already straining this old brain of mine.  Trying to recall some memories from my youth about all the things it takes to get a plane all the way from the box to the circle.  I'm just gonna' take it slow and methodical.  It may take me a while but I'm determined.

Thanks for the valuable tips I'm sure I'll be referring back to this thread.

Tommy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:57 AM »
If the kit has the usual construction manual, read it thru several times.  Even after building several of his kits there something I miss once in a while.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here