News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:37:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Fox  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Garf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Old Fox
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:07:07 PM »
Fox 36X.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Re: Old Fox
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »
1959 Fox AD

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
2007 Fox Catalog

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:00:53 AM »
High artistry in fishing weights....

i wonder if Popular Mechanics ever had a "how-to" article on making one into a door-knocker?

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:07:27 AM »
But, I have to admit that the stunt 35 makes a pretty good saber-dancing engine.

I had a 35X and a 36.  Ugh!  Particularly that 36.  Heavy and rough running.  Double ugh!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:37 AM »
I can still remember when we had a choice for competition,  it was K&B, Johnson and Fox.  I flew Fox's because of his repair policy.  I left out my McCoy as it was my first 35 for competition.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Alex Rillos

• Scratch Builder
  • Ensign
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:03 AM »
I can still remember when we had a choice for competition,  it was K&B, Johnson and Fox.  I flew Fox's because of his repair policy.  I left out my McCoy as it was my first 35 for competition.
I couldn't resist and bought a brand new Fox 35 on Ebay! Now I have to design a profile  for it. Thinking on an enlarged Shark 15 to a "Shark 30".

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »

You missed a few, even when Johnson was around, there was also Veco, and Bob Gialdini used a Forster.

I enjoy nostalgic memories as much as the next guy, but you have much more choice now than you did then. PA, RO-Jett, OS, Discovery-Retro, Stalker, Doublestar, Saito, Thunder Tiger, Magnum, Enya, Plettenburg, Axi, and they all work better and last longer than they did back in the day. You can get more and better stuff for stunt now than you could in 1970.

Brett

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »
Not sure about if there was any point in particular here but I thought it may have been about the .36x.  I have a couple along with a couple 35x -( the Blue Ribbon I believe) and am breaking them in for the Nostalgia Combat craze now catching on.  In my combat competition days I used the Tiger G21,  though I must say the 36x I had at the time would generally flat outrun the Tigers and was the needle bearing type- not BB.  The Tigers I think we're better at hot re-start.  I'm going with the Foxes now because the one flaw of the Tigers was brass bearing races.  Nitro eats brass.  Any Tiger I would aquire now would get new bearings immediately.
On another Fox note here is Bob Gieseke's own Fox .35 today running on the test stands.  Purrrr.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
So, I got all nostalgic and put some air-tool oil in my 36X last week and now it's all loosened up.

When I turn it through compression I hear this loud "click"

Oh-oh!      ???

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
Seems like the most popular stunt engine was not mentioned - the Brodak 40.
John has sold around 3,000 of these and whenever a new shipment arrives, they're gone in a few weeks.
Also, his 25 has sold around 1,600 units.
He must be doing something right.

Regarding quality, he said that around five had been returned - two were hacked.

I know that a lot of people like to bad mouth the Fox Stunt 35 but in my (and many people's) opinion, it's still one fine engine and a perfect power plant for an OTS or classic plane.

Bob Z.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »
The original bubble packaged Fox .35X had a double race of needle bearings! These were flexible for those of us who wanted more than just go fast engines! I had a .35X single race needle bearings on a Goldberg Shoestring which I flew so much that I wore out two bell crank assemblies before I learned how to bush the aluminum with brass sections peened over! These now last longer than many planes! If two or three head gaskets were added under their heads they would make a fairly decent stunt engine! We'd go to the local chemical supply house and but 3 gal's. of methanol, one gallon of Bakers AA  castorloil and mix it up in a 5 gal. pail and go fly most of the summer! Price for the mix was not over $5.00! That's about $1.25 per gal.! Who needed Nitro? Winter flying was another thing!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:42 PM »
The original bubble packaged Fox .35X had a double race of needle bearings! These were flexible for those of us who wanted more than just go fast engines! I had a .35X single race needle bearings on a Goldberg Shoestring which I flew so much that I wore out two bell crank assemblies before I learned how to bush the aluminum with brass sections peened over! These now last longer than many planes! If two or three head gaskets were added under their heads they would make a fairly decent stunt engine! We'd go to the local chemical supply house and but 3 gal's. of methanol, one gallon of Bakers AA  castorloil and mix it up in a 5 gal. pail and go fly most of the summer! Price for the mix was not over $5.00! That's about $1.25 per gal.! Who needed Nitro? Winter flying was another thing!

Phil Spillman

Offline Tommy Swonke

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »
Don't hear much about the Fox 40BB these days.  Back in the '60's they were the "Bad Boys" on the block (at least in the circles I ran in). Back then they were very popular in the Rat Race community.

Tommy

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »

Shucks, I was hoping for some old photos of Kim Basinger or...  :##
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
Any Tiger I would aquire now would get new bearings immediately.

Any we aquired then got new bearings immediately.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here