News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:34:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off Topic - Windows 10 Again ...  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Off Topic - Windows 10 Again ...
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Past versions/updates if I recall have offered the option to boot into the user's choice of 2 or more operating systems - is that not an option with Windows 10?

Thanks!
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Off Topic - Windows 10 Again ...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
If yo install another Windows into a disk other than the C: disk where the present Windows is installed, you will get this option at next startup.
Note however that the new Windows will not be carrying over all yourr installed users programs.
Whith  'another disk' i mean either another physical disk or another partition on the same disk. 
Norvald Olsvold

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:01:16 PM »

I've heard people say to stay away from loading 10? I keep getting the pop ups but haven't loaded it. What's the word? ???
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »
I've heard people say to stay away from loading 10? I keep getting the pop ups but haven't loaded it. What's the word? ???
If you are happy with what you have now - don't upgrade.  Windows 10 is set up to use a touch screen and to auto back-up on the cloud.  I don't use either and wish I had not updated.  But I am old and don't like change.  So far it works but has a lot of pop-up stuff trying to sell you something.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
I kept on being pestered by Windows to upgrade and I kept refusing, I came home one day and it had updated in my absence. I asked for it to be removed and replaced with 7 which I was previously using , It then removed 10 and put 7 back in place. Go Figure, I'm no computer geek, In fact I'm always getting into trouble on line. Just try it.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
I kept on being pestered by Windows to upgrade and I kept refusing, I came home one day and it had updated in my absence. I asked for it to be removed and replaced with 7 which I was previously using , It then removed 10 and put 7 back in place.

That's exactly the kind of crap I don't want to deal with, I'm fine with what I've got.

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
My main computer is now Windows 10.  Got when it first came out.  Still getting used to it.  My lap top will stay Windows 7 as it still has sound.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 08:07:05 PM »
I kept on being pestered by Windows to upgrade and I kept refusing, I came home one day and it had updated in my absence. I asked for it to be removed and replaced with 7 which I was previously using , It then removed 10 and put 7 back in place. Go Figure, I'm no computer geek, In fact I'm always getting into trouble on line. Just try it.
Noel, I had the same thing happen. I woke up and the computer had been changing to Windows 10. I didn't order it.  Once downloaded it was weakly OK, but I had lost an important item. I called HP (I am on a plan for their help with issues (pennies a day) They could not get my missing item installed  so they said would you like to go back to W-7?  I said sure, and within 20 minutes I was back to my preferred  set-up. How can Microsoft do this without my approval? A bit scary, right?
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 09:27:39 PM »
I'm staying with 7.  It does what I need, and if the Microsoft twits automatically move me to 10, I'm done......will return to snail mail.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »

I do think it's bull---- that they can jump in and make changes without our consent. Some of you have phoned them about issues? That's a new one on me. If they do make a change that you don't want who is it that you call to get it reversed?

Wayne Willey

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
Too bad you folks are so far away.  When I have a Windows issue I just go to one of the many all-you-can-eat Indian lunch buffets in Redmond and ask people in the queue.   
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 10:16:50 PM »
Too bad you folks are so far away.  When I have a Windows issue I just go to one of the many all-you-can-eat Indian lunch buffets in Redmond and ask people in the queue.   

Howard strikes again! LL~  Here in Little Somalia, we don't have that luxury.

Wayne Willey

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 07:39:39 AM »
I should explain that Redmond is Microsoft HQ.  The Microsoft guys all have lunch at those places. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
I do think it's bull---- that they can jump in and make changes without our consent. Some of you have phoned them about issues? That's a new one on me. If they do make a change that you don't want who is it that you call to get it reversed?
My computer is much he same as the 3 others I have owned. It is a Hewit Packard. I signed up with their "Support Assistant" and the cost for on-line or phone help is really cheap but very effective.
I gave up trying to deal with MS some time ago. Getting help from them is a gamble.
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
Well why can't these nerds leave it alone if it aint broke.  Oh, I know, they have to keep their job some how.  I used to say the dame about our telephone programmers at AT&T when it was Bell I pot in time for. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
Win10 isn't all that horrible, as long as you opt out of their new browser, "Edge". At least, it's better than Win8. It's possible to use any browser you want, or the new IE11, if you want that. I have so darned many items in my "favorites" that I am sticking it out with IE11.

I am finding that if I go shopping online to CPO, BPS, TW, etc., that ads show up as if by magic. I'm not a big fan of that, and would like to put a stop to it, but it could be worse. Maybe...  :-\ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
My laptop sound was messed up when I installed windows 10.  I *uninstalled all the sound drivers* then I *rebooted the computer without sound drivers*  the stupid thing is it is working in a proper and predictable manner now... The sound devices are recognized and operate properly, but there are no drivers recognized as loaded... This is a Lenovo laptop.  "Conexant SmartAudio"

My desktop was left on for a couple days with the screen off... I forgot about it.  Windows 10 decided to install itself.  I haven't verified the sound is working properly yet.

I like 10 slightly better than 8.1  things are where I expect them to be instead of having goofy charm and sidebar trays.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here