News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:46:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel .074 Parts Needed  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Norvel .074 Parts Needed
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:27:35 AM »
I've got a Norvel .074 "Big Mig" R/C engine that I'd like to convert to C/L use by obtaining the correct needle valve and needle. Do any of my friends out there know where I can get these parts? Who is handling Norvel stuff?
I'd like to use this engine in an RSM Pinto instead of an .049/.051   Thanks for any help you can give   PhillySkip

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Norvel .074 Parts Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »
  Do an internet search for "NV Engines" as that is the name of the new company that produces the engines and sells them on line. I have never held an .074 so not sure how big it is physically. You may want to consider the .061 which will have the power to spare and be that same size as the .049 and Cox .051. Not sure if the mounting holes are the same or not between the Cox and Norvel. In purity terms, the Pinto is a 1/2A stunt model and strict legal terms for 1/2A has an .050" upper displacement limit, so the .051, .061 and the .074 would not qualify. Some contests have reverted to a 1cc limit, which takes in up to .061. I have a couple of the Pinto kits and would like to get one built and flying and make it so I can change out one engine for the other for testing purposes. If you are just sport flying, then none of the above matters, so have fun!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:50:11 AM »

email me after the weekend (headed to the KOI ) I think I have the parts u need ,f2cracer
rad racer

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm not building the Pinto for any competition,just for fun. I already have TD .049/.051s and a new TD .09 BUT I just wanted to play with the Norvel.....you know, something different to try. Should I use the Norvel or TD .09 I will definitely have to make the front end a bit wider to accommodate the larger engines. I wanted to stay away from the smaller mills as they can be a bit finicky.....Thanks,PhillySkip

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »
Skip I have several NV Aero 049s(short nose combat intended), normal case NV .049s, .061s both Big Mig, and AME ---and only one .074 Big Mig

They ALL all have the same hard to initially start and break in characteristics

In each case I learned to decompress as much as possible, use a lot of pre-heat gun on the head, and run in rather brisk to bring temp up

one or two runs usually let me put it back to normal compression and finish easy starting and short break in before flying...

I run all of mine on Sig Champion 1/2a 25% N and I really like them ....for many other folks who fly these little screamers--- I know there is a better or prefered fuel mix.......IE less oil and more synth than castor.... BUT I am happy with how they run on the Sig Champion stuff

Disclosure...since I got old I can not and do NOT fly competitively so fairly sedate sport flying and not many flights per bird per year

Could I get a Lil Hacker with .061 into super fast mode...yes...but then I need to build a lot more models.....grin...

Fred
with the most impressive Figure 9 maneuver imaginable

(still laugh my arse off when I preform this STUNT!!!)
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:50:11 AM »
The Norvel's are the way to go.  The 061 big mig is a great running engine once you get through the initial break in. 

The O74 is nice and powerful as well, as powerful as most .10 sized.  Just be careful about flooding it and using a starter, you can bend the crank.

Both engines like smaller props than one would expect. 
The 074 will turn a 7 in narrow prop, but is happiest on a 6 or 6.5 in prop. 
The 061 will turn a 6x3 but thrives on little smaller prop. 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »
  I think Dave will agree to the fact that the .061 has been a real work horse at the KidVenture circles at Oshkosh for years. Art Johnson figured out that the quickest way to break in the engine was to take the head off. Squirt in a bit of fuel. Take a small starter and crank the engine for 10 to 15 seconds. You will see the fuel turn black. Flush this out with more fuel, then repeat three or four times. Put the head back on and check how it turns over. This is basically lapping the piston to the cylinder. When it gets to the point where it turns over with the spring starter, you are ready to run it. At KidVenture, they were run on standard SIG Champion 10% nitro. Lots of options out there for glow plugs now also, but they are very robust and last a long time. You will like 'em once you get them broken in.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
Guys, the Norvel .074 I've got is well broken in as it was used in R/C mode to fly some small R/C jobs. Once I have the NVA I'm going to bench run it a bit to see what I've got.

As a side note,  I also have a very nice OS 10 set up for C/L but it is much wider than my other "small" engines.Does anybody have a recommendation for a 10 sized stunter?

At present I'm busy building some competition planes (Strega, Ares,etc.) for next year's meets,so other than the Pinto any other builds are down the road a bit. Thanks,PhillySkip

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »

Skip

I would rate my Norvel .074 RC as my best user friendly engine. It's easy to start, has a dependable response to the throttle at all settings, and is a steady runner. I use it on a slightly enlarged Sig RC Hummer, a 1/2A pylon racer that I sport fly with. I tried every other 1/2A engine on this plane and the Norvel .074 was the one that had the power to get it to fly; it should work well on the Pinto. Break in is just as Dan described. I seem to remember some additional instructions using 3-in-1 oil instead of fuel for the breakin procedure.

My .061 and .049 Norvels used for C/L are all RC with the carbs wired open and used to sport fly Phil C's Li'l Hacker 1/2A combats. I run them on bladders and they don't care it's an RC carb thats feeding the engine. I've also run an .061 on an all sheet 1/2A profile Nobler with a wired throttle/Perfect uniflow tank with the same good results. The .074 should work the same with a wired throttle. The carbs on the Norvels are epoxied in place and can easily be removed by heating the case. I had to flip them 180 degrees to reposition the needle and fuel nipple. The opening in the case is an oval, just like the old Fox 'bathtub' .29, so removing the carb takes an upward pull, not a twist. I almost ruined one by overheating because I was testing for the softening of the epoxy by twisting. Epoxying the carb back in place is a little tricky. You can epoxy the crank to the case if not careful.

I've replaced the Norvel glow heads with Cox heads on the .049/.061 for considerably easier starting and running. I use my stunt 10/27 fuel on the .074 with the stock head and a 6/4 prop and use ~30% nitro on the .049/.061.

Ara

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Guys, the Norvel .074 I've got is well broken in as it was used in R/C mode to fly some small R/C jobs. Once I have the NVA I'm going to bench run it a bit to see what I've got.

As a side note,  I also have a very nice OS 10 set up for C/L but it is much wider than my other "small" engines.Does anybody have a recommendation for a 10 sized stunter?

At present I'm busy building some competition planes (Strega, Ares,etc.) for next year's meets,so other than the Pinto any other builds are down the road a bit. Thanks,PhillySkip

Hi Skip, This is a guess, because I've never run a Norvel.074,  But, I believe Your Norvel .074

can easily fly a model with at least 100sq"s more wing area.  My Paw .049sbr pulls a Ringmaster jr(195sq"s)

between 54 and 55mph on 44' X .008" lines.   For your engine,  a model like the Aldrich Peacemaker(English Version)

or the Modelhob Smousen might be suitable(Bare has plans), also the Jr. Nobler would be a great choice.  Going a

little smaller, the Wee Duper Zilch would also make a speedy OTS stunt model. I'm lazy, so I would just wire the

throttle fully open and use at least a 7" X 5" prop on that Norvel. 

Good luck following, or not heeding my free advice;  ;D

Tony

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
                   Skip, is this .074 from one of the Philly club members? If so, I had that engine on a 1/2A Pathfinder. It seemed no  one wanted to spend money on a control line venturi setup. I'm quite certain a .061 venturi and needle setup fits the .074. Everything Dave mentioned above is spot on. Master Airscrew makes a 6.3x3. I purchased the prop to use it on that engine and never got around to doing so. The .074 is caught between prop sizes. I found the speeds to be too fast or the engine rpm's were too high. I went out on line length which helped. At one time I had the engine and plane flying quite well. Unfortunately, the original builder did something to the gear and it was just collapsing on landings. The .074 uses the bolt on venturi so you need to be certain you receive the bolt on setup and not the epoxied on version. It just simplifies things. I can't guarantee I have something on hand but I will look. Ken

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
  As for an airplane for the .074, any one of the classic .15 size airplanes may work, such as Ringmaster Jr, Flite Streak Jr, Jr. Nobler, SIG Akromaster, and the Shark .15. Just watch the weight and be careful on finish. I've been eyeing the Acromaster for the .061 and also the Shark .15. Might have to go to 1/4" balsa for the fuselage or the currently popular built up profile fuselage. Lots of possibilites in the old magazines also. Check out the new Flying Models plan we site.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
I am flying a NV 074 RC with the throttle wired open.  Works great.  I do use an electric starter so I don't know how hand starting would work.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 06:10:34 AM »
a flying clown would be a quick easy one to try.  at 200 square inches either engine should pull it around nicely.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline paw080

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
  As for an airplane for the .074, any one of the classic .15 size airplanes may work, such as Ringmaster Jr, Flite Streak Jr, Jr. Nobler, SIG Akromaster, and the Shark .15. Just watch the weight and be careful on finish. I've been eyeing the Acromaster for the .061 and also the Shark .15. Might have to go to 1/4" balsa for the fuselage or the currently popular built up profile fuselage. Lots of possibilites in the old magazines also. Check out the new Flying Models plan we site.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Hi Dan, I gave this a bit of thought before I answered your post concerning the Sig Akromaster and a 1cc engine.

A couple of years ago, I kit bashed an Akromaster, building it for a 1.0cc diesel engine. I shortened the nose

to accommodate the smaller fuel tank required for diesel runs.  I replaced the fin and stab wood,  with

stronger and lighter qtr. grained balsa. I doped and covered the wings with light weight "Clear" Micafilm.

Come to think of it, I may have replaced a lot of the wing wood also. 

Any way, my Akromaster ready to fly sans fuel, powered by an MP-Jet 1.0cc TBR diesel weighs 12.1 ozs.

I quit playing with it after about six flights.  It fly's very well on 44' X .008" lines. Whenever I fly it again, I will

cut the prop diameter to 6.8" and up the pitch to 4.5"s. 

The bottom line is that with careful construction, being mindful of power and wing loading; the Norvel .074

should work very well in the Sig Akromaster. You do not have to go to extremes with fuselage construction.

I used the stock fuselage blank in my 12.1oz  Akromaster; 1/4" balsa is completely unnecessary and a bit

flimsy for the Norvel .074.   Best if luck;

Tony   

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »
Skip - if you are still looking for CL parts...  A while back I was unable to find any of the custom venturis made by Yan Holusco (I'm sure the spelling is wrong) for AP Wasp .061's.  So I shipped a couple of engines to Dough Galbreath and he made venturis for them at a reasonable cost and record speed.  Give him a try.

Then Larry Renger sold me a pair of NIB engines with the custom Holusco venturis.  They look identical to the Galbreath units.

Paul W.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 06:19:20 AM »
Paul, thanks for your input.

Offline RK

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 11:55:23 PM »
A little off topic but I am wondering if you have started the Pinto yet. I have one and I've just started on the fuselage and would like to hear how your build is going! I am using a Brodak 049 and its a pretty tight fit.

R.K.
If you come to a fork in the road,,,,Take it!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 03:23:02 AM »
          If Jan's venturi would fit it would make an excellent replacement but unfortunately, the AP Wasp uses a round hole in the casting. The Norvel engine has a bathtub oval opening. Ken

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 06:16:50 AM »
Rk I have not started on the Pinto yet.I've got a few ships to finish up ,but I will stay in touch once I start.
Ken, just yesterday I mounted up the Norvel 074 to test stand and she ran beautifully with carb wired open.I also ran my TD 09 and my OS 10.
Just a reminder we've got a meeting at Rich Martinez's house on Sunday the 18th....Skip

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »

Ken, just yesterday I mounted up the Norvel 074 to test stand and she ran beautifully with carb wired open.I also ran my TD 09 and my OS 10.

Getting ready to do first bench runs on a pair of Norvel 074's that will go on a 1/2A Pathfinder.  What fuel and glow plug you using ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 09:01:06 PM »
I used the plug that was in the engine.It was a button type not typical screw in glow plug. The fuel is my home brew with 25%Nitro and 20% oil (50/50) plug was a 6x4.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here