News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: News from Northwest Regionals?  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
News from Northwest Regionals?
« on: May 27, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
So, any news?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dave Denison

• Commander
Re: News from Northwest Regionals?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »
Hi.

Just talked with Doug as he left Eugene.....Mr. Walker took home all the marbles.  He  scored two rounds of  599..........

Dave.
 ama 41041
Regards
Dave

ama 41041

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »
It was a shoot out with Mr. Fitzgerald, but David's last flight was in much poorer conditions.  On the other end of the skill classes, we ran both rounds of Beginner and Intermediate and didn't even break a prop.  We were proud of ourselves.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
I got a prize for being the beginner/intermediate most in need of a better airplane.  I'm still trying to unravel the message there, but I am going to build the kit (well, I'm going to Fancherize it as I build, but still...).

It was the oddest beginner contest I've seen in my admittedly short career.  Just before he flew I was telling Robert Ladd that he needs to learn the rest of the pattern and come fly Intermediate, because what he does fly he does better than me.  Then Doug Knoyle appeared from nowhere to come fly Beginner; he hasn't learned the whole pattern either, but what maneuvers he did would have been right at home in Advanced.  He ended up with either 260 or 290, which for Beginner is astonishingly good.  (I'll edit that number once the results are posted, or if someone with a better memory corrects me).

(He's modest to: I told him how good I think he is and he retorted that the straight lines in his squares are wobbly.  Yes, Doug, they are wobbly -- but your squares are square, and go "click, click, click, click".  Not D-shaped things that go "click, what?, oh @#$%, darn".  And your loops are round and lie each on top of the other, and the intersections of your horizontal eight are straight up, with a transition that goes "click", your level laps really are level -- I could go on, but there's only so many moves in a beginner pattern, and you should be getting my drift by now).

No one told Doug that he could fly a reduced pattern in any class; we was looking mighty thoughtful when he heard this.  If he sticks with us (and if you're reading this, Doug, I hope you do) I think that the Intermediate crew will hear a "whoosh" as he passes through our ranks like a runaway horse, and goes on to give the Advanced crowd some stiff competition.  So unless he can't remember what order to put the 15 manuevers -- watch your backs, guys!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »
So, I know Paul won now. Bruce Perry got 4th and some other Canadian (a short guy, I'm told) got third. Any other info?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:29:36 AM »
Sure, how about 5 of the top ten were electric. :)
Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
Sure, how about 5 of the top ten were electric.

A passing fad.  I remember a Salem contest a few years ago when more than half the guys had four strokes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 03:33:08 AM »
The top 5 were Electric?

Didnt Dave F come 2nd and Bruce Perry 4th??
Thats PA 75 Territory..

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 07:33:11 AM »
No PJ, not the "top five" but actually six of the top ten.  Mixed in were David, Bruce, Gordan and Igor Panchenko.  The other six were electric.  Probably a passing fad and admittedly some of the "Top Guns" were missing.

EDIT!! That can't be quite right.  Someone will have to post an accuarate list.  Jim Aron was in there somewhere too.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:16:07 AM by Mike Haverly »
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
Who won "Concourse" or "Pilot's Choice" or whatever it's called?   #^
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
Mr. Gordon Delany.

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
Forgot to add the e to Delaney.  Sorry.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
Tom, was great to see you there enjoying the weekend!

I would like to make a small note, a rather impressive feat was accomplished in Sportsman Profile,, Heman Lee flew a 12/2 a foam wing stunter,, and WON , not only that,, but his second flight was in very blustery air,, I was extremely impressed with his performance,, quite an impressive little airplane,,
No comment needed on placing of my new profile thank you very much,, except that its second and third pattern were in front of judges,, Friday night I was pretty depressed with the performance, it was hunting like,, well like a bloodhound on an escaped convicts trail,, all over the place,, so friday night I threw every possible change I could think of at it,, and just put it up,, it was tolerable,, and better,, now some re-engineering is in order,, but there is hope
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »
Full results will be posted on Flying Lines as soon as I dig out of the pile of paperwork, etc., in the Regionals aftermath.
--jt
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
John, well done this weekend,, I hope your feet recover from all the walking soon,, take a break you deserve it LOL
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
John,

My hats off to you and the Prop Spinners for a well run, well set up model airplane contest. In spite of the crappy weather before hand, the site was great. Some of the regulars didn't show up, but that is to be expected some times. There is always next year, right. Whether the electrics were/are a fad or not, they looked impressive to say the least. Some of the Old Time and Classic planes were very impressive both in flight and looks, example: Roy Decameras Barnstormer and his Cavalier, Marks plane and others. The real goodie was seeing Bruce Perry's award winning Jester on the T-Shirts and Sweatshirts. Last year had Marks on it, great to see the support John, really good job.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
Thanks Mike !
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
I would like to make a small note, a rather impressive feat was accomplished in Sportsman Profile,, Heman Lee flew a 12/2 a foam wing stunter,, and WON , not only that,, but his second flight was in very blustery air,, I was extremely impressed with his performance,, quite an impressive little airplane,,

As a matter of fact I was one of the judges for this event.  From where I sat Heman showed everyone in the event how to deal with the less than ideal conditions.  The 1/2A blasted through the thermals and rough air giving him an advantage.  Jim Rhoades (the other judge) and I just sat there and shook our heads.  Cool!
Mike

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
I have to confess, when I saw what Heman intended to fly,, I shook my head a bit,, looking at the wind sock,, and was pretty sure this was going to be a wreck,, boy oh boy,, its another case of Mark putting his foot deep in my mouth,, I had no idea a plane like that could be so capable,, by the way Mike, thanks for taking time to judge,, I was kind of caught up in survival mode with the Electrajet and as such I think I neglected to note my appreciation...
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »
Photos? Anyone? H^^ BW@
Don Shultz

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
5th place was  Gordan Delaney with the USA-1 PA 61.

Gordy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:57:03 AM by Gordan Delaney »

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »
I just got home a few hours ago.  Here are some photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/117730697743699659802/2012NorthwestRegionalControlLineContest?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I had no idea I would be taking home the overall trophy with a 1/2A model.  I just wanted to place in Advanced.  Thanks to everyone involved for putting on a great contest!

Heman  Lee

A lot a people asking me for plans for the Half-Lite Stunter.  It has been on my web site for a few years:

http://aeromaniacs.com/Freeplans.htm

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
Cool pictures, Heman.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »
I got a prize for being the beginner/intermediate most in need of a better airplane.  I'm still trying to unravel the message there, but I am going to build the kit (well, I'm going to Fancherize it as I build, but still...).
LOL!  When they awarded that to you I turned to Bruce Hunt and said, "Can't that be taken a couple different ways ;) ?".  We both agreed that it is a good thing if people notice that you are "out-flying" your plane. Nice job!

.... -- but your squares are square, and go "click, click, click, click".  Not D-shaped things that go "click, what?, oh @#$%, darn".  And your loops are round and lie each on top of the other, and the intersections of your horizontal eight are straight up, with a transition that goes "click", your level laps really are level -- I could go on, but there's only so many moves in a beginner pattern, and you should be getting my drift by now) ...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I nominate Tim Wescott as a judge for every time I fly!  Tim you are too kind, and I will do my best to live up to your words.
AMA 60591

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
Great Pics!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Heman Lee

• AeroManiacs
  • Lieutenant
    • AeroManiacs
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 11:17:53 PM »
I have to confess, when I saw what Heman intended to fly,, I shook my head a bit,, looking at the wind sock,, and was pretty sure this was going to be a wreck,, boy oh boy,, its another case of Mark putting his foot deep in my mouth,, I had no idea a plane like that could be so capable,, by the way Mike, thanks for taking time to judge,, I was kind of caught up in survival mode with the Electrajet and as such I think I neglected to note my appreciation...

That is the advantage of a low pitch prop (2.5")  turning high RPM (20K +)

Heman

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »
Last time I looked, a PA65 wasn't electric!

I think it goes like this:

1  Paul Walker
2  David Fitzgerald (IC)
3  Chris Cox
4  Bruce Perry (IC)
5  Gordon Delaney (IC)
6  Jim Aron (IC)
7  Norm Whittle
8  PT Granderson
9  Igor Panchenko (IC)
10 Mike Haverly

5 of the top 9 were IC.....OR   4 of the top 6 were IC....that sounds even better.  Reminds me of Mark Twain's rumored demise.

Uncle Jimby
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:23:35 AM by Uncle Jimby »

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
I know who #10 was ;D   Electric
Mike

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
AWESOME CLPA ART AT ITS FINEST..AND TOTALLY AWESOME PHOTOS FROM THE LEEMIESTRO BW@ CLP** CLP**!
T
Don Shultz

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
I am glad that you guys are so happy about your little electrics but what you fail to realize it that Paul could win with an oil soaked Nobler with a Fox 35. Just sayin...

Its all about the skillz... S?P

Derek

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
I am glad that you guys are so happy about your little electrics but what you fail to realize it that Paul could win with an oil soaked Nobler with a Fox 35. Just sayin...

True, but he couldn't start practicing at 6:30AM in the parking lot at the Regionals with anything but an electric.  I think the electric guys must have gotten in four practice flights each on Sunday morning before the rest of us even got our socks on.

It took me until about 7:15 on Saturday morning to figure out what that quiet but repetitive buzzing noise was.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 11:54:45 AM »
That's a mantra around here. I could come out with the finest stunt ship on the planet and Paul could be flying a Ringmaster with a Fox 35. He'd still win because he's a better pilot than me. A lot better. But I have to say that his electric setup is nice and he no longer has to think much about motor runs. As a consequence, the guy is devoting even more time to his flying. That's scary.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:41 PM »
But I have to say that his electric setup is nice and he no longer has to think much about motor runs. As a consequence, the guy is devoting even more time to his flying. That's scary.

or more time to come over,, look over my new setup ( Electrajet) smile,,,, softly shake his head and walk away,,

Randy,, I think he is starting to relate to me like he does you,, dang you anyway,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
True, but he couldn't start practicing at 6:30AM in the parking lot at the Regionals with anything but an electric.  I think the electric guys must have gotten in four practice flights each on Sunday morning before the rest of us even got our socks on.

It took me until about 7:15 on Saturday morning to figure out what that quiet but repetitive buzzing noise was.

At 6:30 am at a contest I am usually trying to recover from the previous nights activities. n~

Derek

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 01:07:32 PM »
At 6:30 am at a contest I am usually trying to recover from the previous nights activities. n~

Derek

You mean feebly stirring under a pile of about 150 beer cans?  VD~
Steve

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
Uncle Jimby......

Or 1 out of the top 1 were electric!   

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
P.s.     I'm NOT going to beat David with an oil soaked Nobler. If one is to do that, one better have a GOOD plane.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
Better yet is for David to have a bad plane and an overrun.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
As a matter of fact I was one of the judges for this event.  From where I sat Heman showed everyone in the event how to deal with the less than ideal conditions.  The 1/2A blasted through the thermals and rough air giving him an advantage.  Jim Rhoades (the other judge) and I just sat there and shook our heads.  Cool!

Mike,

I've been there and done that with Heman.  I'm hoping to trade in a couple of my PAs for one of his 1/2 As. >:D >:D

Ted

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 11:01:04 PM »
I am glad that you guys are so happy about your little electrics but what you fail to realize it that Paul could win with an oil soaked Nobler with a Fox 35.
Its all about the skillz..

Including the skills to know when something provides a competitive advantage and how best to utilize it.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 03:47:47 AM »
So.... we can say Paul only wins because he runs Electric?
OR David lost because he isnt running electric....

Last time I checked both were winning with anything up front that's spinning.

Thats an incredible Stat : 50% of the Top 2 fliers were running PA 75 .....

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 04:44:51 AM »
So.... we can say Paul only wins because he runs Electric?
OR David lost because he isnt running electric....

Last time I checked both were winning with anything up front that's spinning.

Thats an incredible Stat : 50% of the Top 2 fliers were running PA 75 .....

Thank you PJ for making my point.

p.s. Paul, Maybe not Dave, me  VD~, or the other top 5 but I would bet you would give the other 95% a good run for the money.
Derek
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:46:42 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
  Including the skills to know when something provides a competitive advantage and how best to utilize it.

Brett

Time will tell my friend, time will tell.

Derek
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:37:12 AM by Derek Barry »

Offline Uncle Jimby

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
Uncle Jimby......

Or 1 out of the top 1 were electric!   

Point taken!  ...must be why I have a bunch of controllers, timers, motors and other such doo dads sitting on my bench screaming at me.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
This is so like the battle at the last F3A World Pattern Championships. Most people saw it as simply a showdown between the IC's and the electrics at the world class level. What most people forget is that the top five flyers were ALL childhood prodigies.
Serious, CPLR,Onda, Hyde,Jesky,Gerhard were all unusual talents very early in childhood.

You could derive NOTHING from what they had under the hood because anyone of these five guys could beat you with a rubber band in the nose!! The last World Championships were simply nothing more than a shwdown between prodigys. The top guys at Flushing Meadows years ago built better, trimmed better, had the engines set up better,and practiced more. No different today. The powerplant still doesn't matter. Thats how Orestes Hernandez did it-the old fashioned way.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:53 AM »
Heman,  thanks for the great photos and the build on your 1/2A Champion.  It is great to see pictures and planes of the people I have met thru the years.   Also, was it that cold up there?   Looks like you are all dressed for winter. LL~ LL~

Now for Paul winning with an old oil soaked Nobler, it would be because he took time to fly and trim the plane and the power plant.   Same goes for all the other top 5 or more.   It takes time and patience to get things working.   Even electrics can give problems from what I have read on the electric forum. 

Thanks again for the pics and scores.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
NW Regionals for 2012 had pretty good weather, overall.  At least, no rain.  Kind of overcast and chilly in AM, but the sun came out finally, with moderate wind.  Nobody's flights suffered from weather (but some of us suffered from other things!).  The NW Regionals are held at perhaps the country's best flying site.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I nominate Tim Wescott as a judge for every time I fly!  Tim you are too kind, and I will do my best to live up to your words.

Well, since the scores are now posted on Flying Lines, let's double-check that assertion.

You got 260 points.  When you take your 25 pattern points into account, that means that you averaged a bit more than 29 points per maneuver (29.375, if you feel like you need all the digits).

Now assume that you can do that well through the complete pattern.  There's 15 maneuvers instead of eight, so that's 440.625 points -- round that to 440.5, just for chuckles.  Now take your 25 pattern points -- that's 465.5 points if you didn't build the plane, and you would have taken home 3rd place trophy in Intermediate (and 1st place in Sportsman Profile, or 3rd place in Expert profile).

I don't know if you built that plane, but it's a beauty; the only knock to it that I could see is that it's a profile.  Let's say that the judges are profile-haters and only give you 12 points (I'm good at guessing a judge's score on maneuvers, but I'm not dialed in on appearance points yet).  Consider that I got seven points on the ragged old Slight Freak that I flew, and that was pro-rated (by 75%, I think) because it was a rebuild that was judged as an ARC, so at least 12 points has got to be doable. That would put you at 477.5 points.  That's an even ten points ahead of the 1st-place finisher in Intermediate, and you would have put Mark Scarborough out of his 8th place had you flown in Advanced (sorry Mark).

So, while I can't say for sure that your maneuvers would have scored the same if flown in a different class (beginners judges tend to be charitable), I think I can claim to not be entirely out of the ballpark when I say that you can go places fast if you want to.

So -- learn that pattern!  Or as much of it as you can!  I want to compete against you in Intermediate in at least one contest as you climb past me to Advanced.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »
and you would have put Mark Scarborough out of his 8th place had you flown in Advanced (sorry Mark).

Hey Tim, do you remember me telling you I HAD a couple more airframes for you,,
you do,,
good,,
well never mind,,

sheesh,, and here I was being so nice,,

seriously,, I did not have a good weekend when it came to flying,, running out of fuel ( cold weather, not enough tank capacity, not enough concentration due to not even supposed to be there,, a profile that was argumentative,, Lets see, what other excuses reasons do I have,, oh yeah, judging scale,, in the middle of advanced,, )

but I did have an awesome time visiting, playing with toy airplanes,, and no additional holes appeared in the wings of the Avenger,,
That said,, there was some great flying, some good flying, and then there was  mine,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 04:57:04 PM »
Oh and yeah, I still have a couple carcasses for ya when you are ready to move into flapped stuff, they need work, but then, even if they didnt you would still do it anyway,, ( yeah I know you,, )
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here