• April 18, 2024, 02:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NASCAR  (Read 6807 times)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: NASCAR
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »

I try to watch some F1 races. At least they're not using a "Chase" format, but they make up for that with some really stupid rules. Two compounds of rain tyres and 3 compounds of slicks, and then they mandate that two different ones be used. I think it's a way to cover for potential boondoggles like they had at Indy about 10 years ago, when the tires (note the different spelling!) were total crap and unsafe. Who was that tire maker? It's also a way to mandate a pit stop, without actually requiring a pit stop, and because refueling is not allowed during the race. I understand there's some sort of "hybrid" facet in F1, but I have no idea how it works. I also think the "DRS" thing is stupid. Not a fan of allowing any and all high-tech stuff in F1. It's expensive, and as you can see now, only a few teams have the funding, so they dominate. Not what brings in the fans. Having hot umbrella girls is a good idea, however.

One day I turned on the TV and there was a "Formula E" race on. OMG, what a bore. If anybody was going fast, they'd penalize them for using too much battery capacity. Then they had a yellow pit stop for changing batteries and tyres. I'm sure everybody got a "participation" award afterwards.  LL~ Steve   

I like road races in NASCAR and spend most of my time with F-1 and Indycar. If they'd bring back "Thursday Night Thunder" with the sprints and midgets on dirt, I'd certainly watch that too. I really LOVE the DRS device in F-1. For me , it makes the races fairer and more interesting. I don't mind the 2-compound requirement either, since it leads to strategies that play out as I watch and creates passing in the turns, due to different speed potentials at certain times on track between any given cars on alternate strategies. NASCAR has a pretty good "product," but I don't appreciate a driver's great race being nullified on one restart and the luck of an inside vs. outside re-starting position - too much artificial results. I do like Jimmy Johnson, but agree that his 7th wouldn't have come close to happening, without the last restart, and the silly eliminations of the fastest cars in earlier rounds. Reducing power to slow the cars on ovals just takes more of the driving out of the sport. In all paved oval-track racing they need to increase the difference between cornering and straightaway speeds. Formula E is fine with me; it will improve with the technology. They need better tracks. But, then, I'm never bored.

SK

Dwayne

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
I like road races in NASCAR and spend most of my time with F-1 and Indycar. If they'd bring back "Thursday Night Thunder" with the sprints and midgets on dirt, I'd certainly watch that too. I really LOVE the DRS device in F-1. For me , it makes the races fairer and more interesting. I don't mind the 2-compound requirement either, since it leads to strategies that play out as I watch and creates passing in the turns, due to different speed potentials at certain times on track between any given cars on alternate strategies. NASCAR has a pretty good "product," but I don't appreciate a driver's great race being nullified on one restart and the luck of an inside vs. outside re-starting position - too much artificial results. I do like Jimmy Johnson, but agree that his 7th wouldn't have come close to happening, without the last restart, and the silly eliminations of the fastest cars in earlier rounds. Reducing power to slow the cars on ovals just takes more of the driving out of the sport. In all paved oval-track racing they need to increase the difference between cornering and straightaway speeds. Formula E is fine with me; it will improve with the technology. They need better tracks. But, then, I'm never bored.

SK

I've bean following Formula E a bit as I'm hoping they come up with some kind of battery module they can swap out in the pits instead of changing cars, this to me right now is the future of the electric car, pull into a battery station swap out a module and off you go without recharging.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
I've bean following Formula E a bit as I'm hoping they come up with some kind of battery module they can swap out in the pits instead of changing cars, this to me right now is the future of the electric car, pull into a battery station swap out a module and off you go without recharging.

They actually change cars? OMG. I think it wouldn't matter a lot if they were to just recharge the battery they already have on bored (sic). It's a snoozer without any good engine noises. Maybe they could just mandate an electron powered noise generator that sounds like a Cosworth 3.0 V-8 or even a Merlin?  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2016, 07:46:32 AM »
I have not seen nor heard an e-Race but envision a giant slot car track....complete with high RPM gear whine
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2016, 11:04:02 AM »
the Gear whine is about the most prominant sound, well and some tire noises occasionaly
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here