News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Name Change?  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Name Change?
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:03:21 PM »
Perhaps it's time the AMA changed its name to the Academy of Multirotors & ARFs.

After all, that's what they've become.

Anyone else agree?   S?P

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Name Change?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
Perhaps it's time the AMA changed its name to the Academy of Multirotors & ARFs.

After all, that's what they've become.

Anyone else agree?   S?P

I prefer the one I came up with, spontaneously, while driving home from Tucson - "Apeshit for Drones Magazine"

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »
Good one there, Brett.  Fact is, they no longer have anything to do with actual model airplanes . . . being too busy pimping drones.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
Good one there, Brett.  Fact is, they no longer have anything to do with actual model airplanes . . . being too busy pimping drones.

I signed up for the digital version of the magazine. Then never download it.

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
Why bother?  Nothing there except drones and foam/plastic imported RC toys.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »

I remember they registered here during the recent FAA registration scare, that's why we've been barraged with posts and info from them.  LL~
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »
Well, I've had it with them.  First joined c.1951 or '52, back when the AMA really cared about model airplanes.  Lately, they seem to be pimping drones in order to increase their membership -- none of which has anything to do with actual model airplanes.

I've had it with them.

Living as I do on a fixed income (Social Security only), why send them an annual $65.00 (Senior dues) in order to continue pimping the drone industry?

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
 I recently celebrated my first anniversary as a non-member. As an added bonus, my trash can has been that much lighter.  D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
Well, I've had it with them.  First joined c.1951 or '52, back when the AMA really cared about model airplanes.  Lately, they seem to be pimping drones in order to increase their membership -- none of which has anything to do with actual model airplanes.

I've had it with them.

Living as I do on a fixed income (Social Security only), why send them an annual $65.00 (Senior dues) in order to continue pimping the drone industry?

I almost passed out when I saw the $85 price tag on the renewal form. I decided I'll keep going with the membership without the magazine. Still $75. It's a hard pill to swallow, but a necessity for competition. Also, our field requires it. So I'm in it for life!

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
I dumped them two years ago.  Haven't missed them at all.

Mike

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »
What is the annual sales of  Multirotors & ARFs.  And what is the annual sale of control-line.  AMA is a business and must follow the money.  I understand Stunt News is struggling to stay afloat.  Anyway enough said - it is what it is and they do provide reasonably priced insurance. Also don't forget that they maintain the best flying site in the world.   >:D
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »
What is the annual sales of  Multirotors & ARFs.  And what is the annual sale of control-line.  AMA is a business and must follow the money.  I understand Stunt News is struggling to stay afloat.  Anyway enough said - it is what it is and they do provide reasonably priced insurance. Also don't forget that they maintain the best flying site in the world.   >:D

The AMA is most certainly NOT a business, at least not in the sense you mean. They are a service organization, just like PAMPA (which is the organization that produces Stunt News. Neither is intended to support itself via ad revenue.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
Lady Gaga wanted to hire the Jive Combat Team for the halftime show, but we couldn't come to terms, so she had to go with drones.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »
If you don't like it don't read it, don't belong to it. Or how about do something to change it. People who show up run the world, everyone else are just winer's. At work people like this get the nickname Windy, as in Windy winer.

Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 11:35:59 PM »
If you don't like it don't read it, don't belong to it. Or how about do something to change it. People who show up run the world, everyone else are just winer's. At work people like this get the nickname Windy, as in Windy winer.

Steve

No, people who live in Napa Valley are "winers". "Whiners" are what your co-workers are.

AMA was founded to support model airplanes. Somewhere along the way, they lost direction. The pathetic part is that the droners don't want to belong to AMA either.

Those of us who wish to fly in contests are stuck with the AMA, unless contest organizers are willing to accept proof of insurance. Since AMA insurance is "secondary insurance", they don't pay until your homeowner's, renter's or personal liability insurance has been maxed out. Anybody care to discuss this with your insurance agent?  H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 03:58:07 AM »
Academy of Missing Airplanes
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:54 AM »
I rode the motorbike out to Sebring a couple weeks ago to see what Drone Racing was all about....it's way cool, and there was a large crowd. Also, there was quite a bit of interest in FPV fixed wing racing as well.....

FPV is a Billion Dollar industry, and attracts lots of younger people....

Instead of pi**ing and moaning about FPV and drones, it would behoove us to figure how to attract these younger folk to CLPA....

When Dale and I fly at our local RC club, people all stop to watch and are impressed (they have said so).....to the point that I am going to finish a Guillow Trainer and get them to take flights....

Have fun

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
, it would behoove us to figure how to attract these younger folk to CLPA....

That's actually quite funny.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Although I probably should stay out of this, I have to say I agree with Dane and Peabody.  Yes, the times have changed and the current generation seems to have little interest in fixed wing aircraft and the "skill/art" of designing and building.  Any corporation/business that doesn't cater to the demand of the market forces will fail i.e. the makers of wooden wagon wheels, transistor radios, black and white TV's, slide rules etcetera, etcetera.  It's sort of like looking for the beautiful carved wood figures and trims we used to see in the architecture of movie theaters, art galleries and even in the gothic facades early metropolitan buildings .... it ain't there no mo' and nobody left can do it!!  I would expect the AMA to do no less than cater, support, encourage and endorse the interests of the "current" generation.  Funny, there's little or no "whining" about the loss or lack of writings focused on PAA flying, Jetex aircraft articles or even Wakefield ....how about Nordic??  Is it because those of that generation have passed on?? or maybe just adapted to other interests??  Control line is a wonderful sport but it has to be advertised and promoted to the young, the dreamers, the future.  Sadly, who's writing the construction articles for the latest and greatest designs i.e. Goldberg, Brickhaus, Scarinzi, Aldrich, Musciano etcetera? Who's writing engine analysis data, i.e. Chin, Lee etcetera? Who's writing the contest summaries for the "hundreds" of local, regional and national contests? Those are the things, I believe, we all looked for in the magazines gone by and now wish for whether digital or print.  Sadly, I grew up reading and dreaming about them, being a part of the "happenings" .... but .... where are they?  Memories, past editions, dry rotting pages of a by-gone era that still evoke wishes.  However, if or when, ever again, articles like those begin to flood into the magazines, certainly the advertisers will follow.  Why?  First, they are in the business of making money and to do that they will want to provide the latest and greatest cutting edge products to support those supporters of the writers and events .... they follow the money just as each of you would.  Unfortunately, when I look at the ages listed under the names of many of the posters on this and other sites (as probably the AMA market trenders do) it doesn't surprise me that they would move on to the upcoming generations interests.  Based upon the ages, I'm just happy they're not advertising the obvious latest and greatest things many of us C/Lers will be using in the not too distant future ....  assisted living facilities, coffins and cemetery plots!!  Bet they could make a few dollars on those ads!!  :-\ :-\  LL~ LL~  In conclusion, I guess what I'm saying is .... quit complaining and 'git to writing, designing and writing, building and writing, competing and writing .... you get the idea or look for the assisted living facilities, coffins and cemetery plot advertising!!   S?P  LL~ LL~ LL~

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »

Same thing here.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
When we organized MACA, the combat SIG, one of our reasons was to have a an organization in place in case we needed to secede from the AMA.  The first time I ran an event at the Nats I learned that the AMA is us.  I dropped the notion of secession.

In about 1981, I got an AMA mailing list of the Western districts to advertise a contest.  It identified people by interest: control line, free flight, or RC.  I was surprised to see that, even then, control line was about 2 or 3%. 

One thing you can do to get your money's worth from the AMA is to get involved by volunteering to run stunt at the Nats.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
Who's writing the contest summaries for the "hundreds" of local, regional and national contests?

For stunt, it's Stunt News, the PAMPA publication.  Sometimes it even includes results for the same contest twice.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
I have long thought of the AMA as a "racket".....
Sadly, most clubs require AMA membership as a pre-requisite, and AMA membership is required at all local contests of any type, AFAIK.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 03:31:12 PM »
For stunt, it's Stunt News, the PAMPA publication.  Sometimes it even includes results for the same contest twice.
Magnificent!!  :-[ So rather than share the info in the wider audience publication, AMA's Model Aviation, so that it just might, with a very slim chance, that 4 or 5 newbies, over a years time, be it youth or adult, might see that there's something happening, that looks interesting, that might offer a family a chance to get outdoors away from their computers, may .... possibly in their area or within a couple hours drive .... AND that there's some folk who might, possibly be able to help, teach, share advice and or experience ..... on how to get started!!  ??? ???

It makes one feel good to know that the PAMPA pub covers such things!  I understand it has such huge worldwide reputation, widespread availability with an incredibly large membership/following such that it can tweak the interest of others who love to build models .... right??  :-\  Why can't the PAMPA authors share that same info with the wider modeling community.  Maybe a disgruntled r/cer or drone pilot who doesn't read or belong to PAMPA may want to try their hand at combat, stunt racing or even scale.  Or is the PAMPA membership so exclusive that it doesn't seek to expand its base?  Jus' askin'!!

Personally, I choose not to subscribe to two organizations, with two memberships, two annual dues, two publications, all seeking to sell me the same or similar products and that for all intents and purposes promote the same interest that I enjoy.  AMA certainly may have its shortcomings, I suppose, but without our support, story and article writing .... well look at it this way plant a garden then don't fertilize, water, or weed it and you get .... exactly what you earn.  :-\ :-\

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
Why can't the PAMPA authors share that same info with the wider modeling community[?]  Maybe a disgruntled r/cer or drone pilot who doesn't read or belong to PAMPA may want to try their hand at combat, stunt racing or even scale.  Or is the PAMPA membership so exclusive that it doesn't seek to expand its base? 

The guy who puts together the contest results is too damn lazy to do more than send them to one place (plus, I wouldn't be surprised if he bumps up his own scores).  If you would like to arrange another place to send them, I can probably get him to send them there, too.

The stunt contest calendar is available to the world:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sW3Bu1EMy8ZxSaQD8DpTlJNlpdE&usp=sharing .  Feel free to hose it around to drone people, Fox, CNN, etc.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
Perhaps if the AMA cared about us, they would "pimp" us and we would have more interest. I would not belong to the AMA except I have to have an AMA license to fly in contests. Simple as that. The AMA is supposed to be a service organization but really doesn't act that way.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
As C/L enthusiasts (we're a dying breed, I fear), our time has come and gone, and a wide-spread revival is not in the foreseeable future.

I, for one, am glad for what the AMA DOES cover in regards to C/L. I have a feeling that IF those among us took the time and made the effort, pretty much anything submitted that is well written and has photos of acceptable quality will be considered for publication and likely published!

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
Some folks say they are AMA members for the insurance.  Would it really be there for you in the current world of litigation?  For Sport flying?

Some folks say it's for contest flying.  Hold your contest on private property with a signed release form, like most all other forms of motorsports participation.

The AMA isn't a sanctioning body like NHRA; they don't hold the power to make results "official".

The AMA will fight for us politically.  Like they did in the UAS Drone mess.

The AMA magazine is, well, thin.  Compare it to what they put out in the 60's, 70's, etc.

The AMA has a world class flying site, half way across the US. 

It is the AMA members responsibility to contribute articles?  Great magazines like Hot Rod are put out with limited staff.  Granted they might have more subscribers.  But, look at all who contribute good information and entertainment on this site!

Magazines are facing extinction.  We are discussing this topic on new fangled things called computers.  interactive, immediate, accessible, great for hobbyists all over the World who want to discuss their hobby interests.

I donated to this website rather than AMA. 

Just my thoughts. 

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »
For stunt, it's Stunt News, the PAMPA publication.  Sometimes it even includes results for the same contest twice.

I've been a PAMPA member for a while and with the money don't waste anymore with the AMA it's kind of like being a PAMPA member for free. Plus, even though it's mostly stunt, Stunt News is a GREAT publication.  y1

Still waiting for the Lady Gaga centerfold issue though...

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 08:22:21 PM »
I guess I'm one of the few that likes model planes no matter the type.  I will keep my membership with AMA even though I skip over the multi rotor stuff.  But, like model planes some guys are making a living with the multi rotor craft.   I am even getting the Sport flyer magazine now as just maybe might get a CL plane for flying indoors in a basketball arena.  We have places here in metropolitan KC that I think an electric indoor scale meet could be held.  Really, how fast does an indoor CL scale have to fly? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 08:52:56 PM »
Some folks say they are AMA members for the insurance.  Would it really be there for you in the current world of litigation?  For Sport flying?

Some folks say it's for contest flying.  Hold your contest on private property with a signed release form, like most all other forms of motorsports participation.

The AMA isn't a sanctioning body like NHRA; they don't hold the power to make results "official".

Whether or not the insurance would pay off, you more-or-less have to have it to get a flying site. Saying you have something is generally a pre-requisite. There's no amount of waiver-signing that would persuade, say, the Napa County Parks department, to forget about the insurance.

The AMA certainly is a sanctioning body. For the most part, at local contests, it probably doesn't matter outside the site insurance. But, the AMA holds the keys to the only contest that really matters (the US National Championship) and the only trophy that everyone really cares about (The Jim Walker Trophy). As long as that is in their control, people will pursue it and the AMA will be the center of contest activity.

Brett

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
I follow these threads with mild interest and always learn about many of you guys perspectives.
I have no good input or any sound way to GROW control line and model building on any local or national level

But I do have an observation or two

NOT advocating any particular idea

Admissions up front;
I am ONLY an AMA member because it is/was required to fly most places I lived on this earth...either as a club member or at a local/distant contest
I am ONLY a FCC registered professional model builder because it was free---- and I do NOT fear the DOT/FAA having my personal information...
I am deliberately a FCC Amateur (KD5NCO) licensed radio operator for decades now((and THEY do publish a LOT of my personal information)) because that was the Federal law for me to participate in the HOBBY...some will dispute it is a hobby

Observations that may be germane:

But first a question or 3....
Has or have ANY C/L competitor in racing, carrier, scale, stunt; ever entered any contest to win money or non related prizes like a stereo system, other than for the trophy, plaque, kit, or engine?

Decades ago Combat was, for some, pretty lucrative... hell I even know of a few serious cash side bets... but that is history

Are there any C/L competitors sponsored buy a MFG or club or business?

Has any of the past decade top stunt contenders ever been approached to be sponsor or promote a brand?

Is there NOT one true C/L believer with Bill Gate's type excess money to throw at the hobby?

Hell If I won the power ball, I would seriously finding an effective way to pump a cool million or two in to stirring the C/L poo

I do get it about national or world recognition

I highly recommend learning about team and individual computer gaming and more to the point;

Drone Racing League (DRL) a legitimate BIG BUCK sport televised with an impressive Purse ($$$,$$$.00) for the top guys.
These guys are sought for advertising contracts and can cultivate manufacture sponsorship.
Like a lot of RC top level guys have

I recently watched the regional and world champ DRL finals and was enthralled. I took the bait to go on line and learn more about the competitors, their story...

I was keen to notice many many of these kids are part of father son teams who do in fact build their own models, practice, and infect a lot of local kids to try it. The found a way to coerce the locals to provide public funded venues also

Some say FPV Drone Racing is a fad and initially I though so too...

But reality is... On Line Gaming is now over 20 years old and a Multi BILLION a year faction of our economy and has 1000%* more participation than ALL model airplane hobby

* number pulled out of sunless area

So my assumption is that as long as there is interest and a $$$ making career path...DRL  in fact the trend for commercial Drones is probaly not a fad but a blooming industry where you can learn your trade having a whole lot of fun

Maybe just maybe we purist old farts are not as cogent as the AMA...

OK yes--- I am way wrong from a BUT IT IS ALL ABOUT MODELING POV....and I too, nostalgically get that...

There is a lot of good learning lost the way it is easy now-- and the way it was HARD way back when...

I personally believe my early youth modeling and HAM radio experience set me up to be mildly successful in my life

but I tend to think the AMA is following the BIGGER potential picture

All that pontificating and I am still not sure if or if not to re-enlist in the AMA... I sport fly only and no local site demands the insurance

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 12:27:29 AM »
While we are talking about drones, I recently looked at the magazine racks at the Barnes and Noble bookstore. 

No Model Airplane News, no issues of the several plastic model enthusiast magazines, no copies of any of the several British magazine, all of which have been regular features in that section at other B&N stores I have visited over the years.  (Maybe they still appear in other B&N stores including the resurrected Aeromodeller magazine, but not this one.) 

But, there were at least what appear to be four monthly magazines featuring ONLY drones, as well as several other publications, only on drones, that appear to be introduction primers to the world of drones.

I am not sure what all of this means, but there is a message there somewhere.

Keith

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
A few weeks ago I saw something on a television broadcast about drone racing.  This race took place in a parking garage.  I did not pay that much attention to it, not sure if the garage was abandoned or the guys were allowed to use it after business hours.  I am guessing that the winner was the first to make it all the way to the top floor without crashing into a wall or support column.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
I just got around to reading my copy of MA.  There are several places that CL is mentioned.  Two main ones that stand out is a district report on the Ringmaster marathon held at an RC area and the interview with Nick Ziroli.  I even had my version of his P-38 combat plane way back then.  Also the is the column our guys write like the scale.

Now if we had the numbers and the money like the RC's guy we could control the printing.  Wonder if the FF guys/gals complain like we do. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »
I would be surprised if AMA will even exist 20 years from now.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »
I don't think most of us need to worry about that. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
I would be surprised if AMA will even exist 20 years from now.

Mike

AMA as I used to know it doesn't exist NOW!  >:(
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »
I don't think most of us need to worry about that. 

Thanks for the belly laugh Doc.  You are correct. 

Mike

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »
AMA as I used to know it doesn't exist NOW!  >:(
===============================
How true!  So many of us feel the same way.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »
The shift appears to me that the AMA has become totally beholden to advertisers, so they have shifted their priority from people who make model aircraft to people who buy model aircraft.

Look at the Balsa Builder's group on facebook. There are still many, many people building impressive models, yet looking at the AMA publication any newcomer will assume you either buy a drone, a foamy or an ARF 50CC gas 3D R/C to enjoy made aviation.

Personally, I'd like to see the AMA become more of an advocate for building and cover ALL aspects of the hobby.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
I too am not happy with the way MA has turned out, BUT, we, not "they" are the AMA (those of us still members) and how many of us, you, etc, have submitted any type article, building, finishing, flying real model airplanes?  Squeaky hub gets the lube. I see Stunt News begging for input, I was an editor of a club news letter and begged for input.  I remember the many times Bob Hunt begged for input for FM, SN and MA. So either contribute or sit in silence. n1 R%%%%

Ty, I have heard your argument many times before when this subject comes up, which is has, repeatedly on here, and it is a valid argument.  However, over the years, I personally submitted three different articles over a period of the years, and did not even get an acknowledgement that they received the articles much less having them published.  I threw my hands up a long time ago with AMA.

Mike

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
I too am not happy with the way MA has turned out, BUT, we, not "they" are the AMA (those of us still members) and how many of us, you, etc, have submitted any type article, building, finishing, flying real model airplanes?  Squeaky hub gets the lube. I see Stunt News begging for input, I was an editor of a club news letter and begged for input.  I remember the many times Bob Hunt begged for input for FM, SN and MA. So either contribute or sit in silence. n1 R%%%%

You are correct sir. I emailed about two years ago my build on the box stock twister and my correspondence with Mike Gretz in recreating it. They emailed me back and said they really get so many columns that is gonna be a while. I haven't seen it.....

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
I believe that the AMA is NOT beholden to advertisers, but rather to the MARKET.
When RC outsold CL, there was a shift to RC.
Now Quads outsell RC buy a HUGE margin...
Watch for FPV to outstrip them all....

Have fun!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »
With todays computers and video cameras it looks like AMA is doing more on the digital side recently than I remember.  I didn't sign up for the on line digital like I have with Stunt News.  But, watching Mike Griffon's videos as well as the posts Sparky has done does more for me as you can't do that with the printed page.  But, I will still re-up each year as even during the lean times I never let my license expire.  I miss the club listings the AMA used to do in the back of the mag when I was on the road attending schools.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »
RC as we call it (RC planes that is) is suffering the same fate as CL. My LHS owner, who knows me and what I do, calls me a "modeller". He claims there are very few "modellers" left in RC as well. He flies RC competitively at the NAT's, and laments the same things we do.

I was in his store a few months ago picking up a 400 dollar order of balsa. It was sitting on the counter, and there were many "RC" people in there asking what I was going to do with that wood. They had no idea there were "scratch" builders anymore. They simply buy and fly. He estimates that at least 80% of the people who buy stuff in his store only last 2 maybe 3 years in this hobby. They are having problems attracting and maintaining their levels as well as we are.

As has been stated before, there are many more drone pilots than RC plane pilots, and probably more RC helicopter pilots than all RC plane pilots combined.

So now AMA has this 1000 acre property in Muncie and it is getting harder and harder to justify blocking out most of the summer for "airplane" NAT's when there are MANY more users that could use it at the same time. If our numbers continue to decline, these other factions will get their way and bump us (RC and CL) out of the traditional summer spot. And, they have $$$.

I suggest we enjoy it while we can. It IS the way of life. People find new things all the time, and there are many MORE things now than 50 years ago.  AMA will adapt, and probably in a way us old timers won't like, because we tend to be inflexible.

I for one am going to enjoy it while I can and not complain about it too much. Yes, another year with AMA.  :)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
I suggest we enjoy it while we can. It IS the way of life. People find new things all the time, and there are many MORE things now than 50 years ago.  AMA will adapt, and probably in a way us old timers won't like, because we tend to be inflexible.

I for one am going to enjoy it while I can and not complain about it too much. Yes, another year with AMA.  :)

Exactly. I am not sure why some of us think that everyone should want to fly CL Stunt (or whatever) and would, if only we presented it properly. And since they don't we are doing something wrong that has to be corrected.

An example from my youth - when I was a kid, every drugstore, department store, even convenience stores, had two toy aisles, one for girls and one for boys. The girl's aisle had more-or-less what you would expect, Barbies and other dolls, games, etc. The boys aisle had one side with balls/bats/gloves and army guys. The other side was models, mostly plastic models but usually a few Comet or Guillows, a pretty complete set of rockets (either Estes or Centuri but never both) with a Testor's glue and paint rack at one end. Virtually every single example was like this, and if it wasn't, no one went there. We would shake birthday and Christmas presents, and separated the ones that sounded like plastic parts from the others, like socks or a shirt, or God forbid, a book. Virtually everyone I knew was the same way, and those who didn't were the extreme minority. There were car guys, airplane guys, and rocket guys, but you were one of those or you were very strange.

Go into, say, Target today. The balls/gloves/bats are still there, the army guys and stuff like that is usually still there, but you will not find anything like a model, glue, paint, of any kind. This was true *long* before the internet, so don't blame that. KIDS DO NOT BUILD MODELS ANY MORE, and that is not a defect or a flaw with society. Those kids from 25 years ago are grown up, and THEY DON'T BUILD MODELS ANY MORE, either, and that is also not a defect or flaw.

That's why changing it in a vain attempt to appeal to these target audiences doesn't make any sense. There are a decent number of people who like it the way it is, and they are more-or-less going to keep doing it until they can't any more. There is no evidence that altering the rules/events/conditions will attract anyone else, and in many cases it will drive away the truly dedicated. Maybe we are dying, and maybe we aren't, but trying to invoke radical changes (like the strange FAI rule change suggestions) to stave off the inevitable is almost certainly not going to change the end result.

I would also note that people have had the same observation - the event is doomed, where are all the juniors, how do we drum up more fliers - for as long as I have been doing this, 45+ years. And if you read histories like "Do you speak model airplane?", the same thing with the same predictions was going on *in the 30s*. That's the 1930's, *85 years ago*. So we have been a "dying hobby" for almost a century.

Brett

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 10:12:13 PM »
RC as we call it (RC planes that is) is suffering the same fate as CL. My LHS owner, who knows me and what I do, calls me a "modeller". He claims there are very few "modellers" left in RC as well. He flies RC competitively at the NAT's, and laments the same things we do.

I was in his store a few months ago picking up a 400 dollar order of balsa. It was sitting on the counter, and there were many "RC" people in there asking what I was going to do with that wood. They had no idea there were "scratch" builders anymore. They simply buy and fly. He estimates that at least 80% of the people who buy stuff in his store only last 2 maybe 3 years in this hobby. They are having problems attracting and maintaining their levels as well as we are.

As has been stated before, there are many more drone pilots than RC plane pilots, and probably more RC helicopter pilots than all RC plane pilots combined.

So now AMA has this 1000 acre property in Muncie and it is getting harder and harder to justify blocking out most of the summer for "airplane" NAT's when there are MANY more users that could use it at the same time. If our numbers continue to decline, these other factions will get their way and bump us (RC and CL) out of the traditional summer spot. And, they have $$$.

Very true Paul, but yet very sad to sit back and watch the demise of "modeling".  D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
I paid for a membership just a few weeks ago so I can join local club and participate in  events... yet to even recieve my number :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »

Thus I thank you for your effort twice...and mean it.

Ted

p.s. Re the current debate, drones are today's toys and tomorrow's security and privacy problem.  Stunt design, building and flying is an avocation, an aspiration rapidly disappearing in our narcissistic, plastic world.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here