News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new modified Bob Hunt Holeshot  (Read 8654 times)

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My new modified Bob Hunt Holeshot
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Why did I feel the need to modify a Bob Hunt Design? Because his good friend Pete Peterson did it first.  This is what I have:
Bob Hunt Holeshot with Pete Peterson's extra five inches of wingtip
OS .25FP with a 9x4 APC and a 4oz tank
foam wing, balsa tips, with a 4" sig bellcrank in the wing

Bob-Sorry to modify your plane, just yell at Pete, it' his fault.  He might be a bad influence on me
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:37:19 AM by Duke.Johnson »

Joe Just

Re: My new modified Bob Hunt Holeshot
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
Hey Duke, are the boys going to let you fly it? Fantastic looking airplane!
Joe

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
Looks good Duke... let er rip....

Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
Good job & nice paint scheme. Howard will like the orange, but not the profile fuselage.  That .24FP should be plenty of power for it, too, but only if the glowplug is tight. Inside joke, ask Pete!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
Joe-The boys are still a little smaller than me, so they can't take me.

Mike-Thanks, flew it at the air fair demo last weekend, one tank of fuel.  It seemed to need more tip weight, but flew level laps.

Steve-I'll bring it this weekend to the contest and maybe put up a flight.  I might need some advice on trimming it.  I want to start building full fuse planes, but will wait until I don't crash so much.

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
I liked this plane a lot.... flew pretty good... I too liked the colors... so much that I almost stole them for my Oriental... getting ready to cover the old girl... it was pretty hanger rashed... by I will cover it today if I can find the time... I think I am going white with red and yellow and some black trim... get ready I am committed to at least 2 contests before the end of the yr... The Dolphin tank was shot... it's out and repairs are in the process.. I should have 3 viable planes in a week or so.. JJ

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
I liked this plane a lot.... flew pretty good... I too liked the colors... so much that I almost stole them for my Oriental... getting ready to cover the old girl... it was pretty hanger rashed... by I will cover it today if I can find the time... I think I am going white with red and yellow and some black trim... get ready I am committed to at least 2 contests before the end of the yr... The Dolphin tank was shot... it's out and repairs are in the process.. I should have 3 viable planes in a week or so.. JJ

Cool! It will be great to see you flying again, Jim. I hope you can come up for The Scobee and see our flying site.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
Yeah, It took eight years to fly a plane.... and now I am pumped up by the Johnson Boys down south... finishing my Oriental and next the Super Chief plus I bought 4 new/used engines ... most impressive has been the Silver Fox 40 BB... that thing has a bottom end on it...  I also got Leo's Moki 51... and I am going to put a Tom Lay ST46 in my Oriental Plus... that wing is almost down... the rest cut out. AND ...I picked up a Legacy and Strega Kits... new paint supplies.. new lines... and three gallons of fuel... I hope to make one contest before Salem in Oct...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
The plane looks great.   Does the mod help the flying of the plane?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
Wow! It looks great, Duke. I think we spoke about this didn't we? I recall someone asking about extending the span and I thought it was a wonderful idea. In fact, I remember saying that we could call such a beast the "Long Shot." Seems appropriate... <=

Perhaps a slight lengthening of the tail moment would also be a good thing on a "Long Shot."

Very, very nice job!

Later - Bob Hunt 

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:29 PM »
Jim- Go ahead and steal the paint scheme, mine might not last long.  I don't fly that well.

Bob- we didn't talk about making it bigger. But thanks for saying you like it.  Your buddy Pete gave me the idea.  I'll see Pete this weekend, maybe I can get him to fly it and tell me if it needs trimmed.  Pete flew my sons plane last weekend and helped him trim it.  We talked about what to build next for my son.  He liked the Crossfire so much, someday he might get there.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
My memory is most certainly slipping... I do remember discussing enlarging/lengthening the wing with someone...

Anyway, it's a great looking ship. If you opt to build another one, consider lengthening the tail moment about an inch and a half.

If you don't mind, I'll revamp the plan and offer a Long Shot option.

Later - Bob

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »
I'm thinking of building another and making it electric.  Would I add the 1 1/2" to the tail?

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 05:12:48 AM »
Hi Duke:

Yes, I'd lengthen the tail a bit especially if you are going electric with it.

Later - Bob

Offline Tim Redelman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 01:53:30 AM »
Hi Bob, is there a kit available so I don't have to go searching for parts?

Tim

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 06:15:11 AM »
Hi Bob, is there a kit available so I don't have to go searching for parts?

Tim

I would be interested too.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »
There is no kit available at this time, but I do offer plans and can cut foam cores for this design, or Lost-Foam fixture sets to allow you to build as many wings as you wish.

If you are interested in plans and/or wing options, please call me at 610-746-0106.

Later - Bob

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »
The plans are great. My son, 15 at the time, scratch built it with balsa ribs.

Offline Michael T Murray

• New Pilot
  • SHOTGUN33
LASER CUTTING PARTS - HOLE SHOT - My new modified Bob Hunt Holeshot
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:03 PM »
Hi Guys:  14MAR17

I had a friend come up at the 2017 VSC and he was asking me about this HOLESHOT plane Pete Peterson modified.

I am getting the plans from Pete in the next couple days and will make a cut file to cut the ribs, fuse, and empennage on the laser.

If anyone wants to try and make it electric reach out to me I will make .35 RSM Black Tiger engine mount and battery box for those inclined to go out and fly the battery.

It would have an 11.1V 3300 Mah or an 11.1 2200 Mah (Lighter but with less battery life and # of flights per battery) (4 oz. lighter)

Mike Murray
Da Vinci

(520)389-8159 Home

Michael T Murray

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Wow! It looks great, Duke. I think we spoke about this didn't we? I recall someone asking about extending the span and I thought it was a wonderful idea. In fact, I remember saying that we could call such a beast the "Long Shot." Seems appropriate... <=

Perhaps a slight lengthening of the tail moment would also be a good thing on a "Long Shot."

Very, very nice job!

Later - Bob Hunt 

Bob, I noticed that Duke's response re your "extra inch and a half"' was a little ambiguous as to whether he was talking a longer tail "span" vice moment arm.  Might want to insure he's on the same page with you.

Ted

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »
My memory is most certainly slipping... I do remember discussing enlarging/lengthening the wing with someone...

Anyway, it's a great looking ship. If you opt to build another one, consider lengthening the tail moment about an inch and a half.

If you don't mind, I'll revamp the plan and offer a Long Shot option.

Later - Bob
Bob,

Was that last year with the profile Ben built and flew at the Nat's (had a Hole Shot wing)?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: LASER CUTTING PARTS - HOLE SHOT - My new modified Bob Hunt Holeshot
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »
Hi Guys:  14MAR17

It would have an 11.1V 3300 Mah or an 11.1 2200 Mah (Lighter but with less battery life and # of flights per battery) (4 oz. lighter)

Mike Murray
Da Vinci

(520)389-8159 Home

Hi, Mike.
I would think for a .35 sized plane a 4S pack would be more appropriate and the 2100 would work for it.
That's what I fly my E Oriental with.....
Greetings,
Chris

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 12:35:13 PM by Chris Behm »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
I just wanted to reiterate what Ted said:  I am still a little confused as to what needs to be modified to convert the Holeshot into the Longshot.  Could someone please clarify and give us the dimensions of where and what need to be changed?

Thank you
Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here