News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:19:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Must be a sad day for Shug.  (Read 7748 times)

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Must be a sad day for Shug.
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
Hey Shug, sorry to here about Ringling Bros shutting down, I know from watching many of your videos
it was a big part of your life.

W.W.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Must be a sad day for Shug.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
I too am saddened to read of the closeing of the greatest show on earth.  My grand daughter said its about time with cruelty of the animals not being free and cooped up in cages.  She has never been back stage at a circus. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
Very sad indeed. I had a motorcycle pal who played bass guitar with the circus. He was tragically killed on a highway in Arizona when a tractor trailer had a recapped tire come apart just at the moment he was passing. The debris from the tire knocked him off the bike and that was it for him. Anyway when he was in Philly he gave me a tour of the circus train and took me back stage. It was magical really. I didn't know that there were actually two circus trains traveling around the country so everyone could get to see a show. I'm sure that Shug will be ok,seems like a resilient type.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
Lots of my Tribe members now out of work.
We are grieving here. My life changed forever by working on that show. I am who I am because of my Ringling life. It gets on you strong.
I have opinions about it all that I would discuss around a fire.
Those opinions I'll keep off of here.
Here are some of my photos from those Glory Daze.....https://flic.kr/s/aHsjF5YWzY

As to the animal issues. It is complicated. I saw good and bad but mainly good. I rode an elephant that had killed before. She loved me and I her. she killed a cruel night animal keeper who beat them as he got drunk. They have a way of taking care of their own. She loved performing and I rode her everyday. She would quiver in anticipation of the appluase. Sadly, not all animals get to be free.
Not do people.
What is next? No pets? Guide dogs? No recue animals? No Police Canine units? We all have to go Vegan?

The animals got watered, fed and cleaned. Us clowns did not!

Seems that we live in a We Society. Not an I or a Me but a We.
We don't like what you represent so We will spend our energy to stop what You do and what We do not do.
Happens to Control Liners and R/Cers. We don't like your noise and fun so We will put a stop to it.

Shug
Roid the Clown Ringling Red Unit 1980-82
Clown College Class of 1979

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:44:52 PM by Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Rick Bollinger

• Commander
  • AMA 931589
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »
Shug you have a lifetime of memories in your album all from a few years. Very nice.
Rick Bollinger
AMA 931589

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »
Lots of my Tribe members now out of work.
We are grieving here. My life changed forever by working on that show. I am who I am because of my Ringling life. It gets on you strong.
I have opinions about it all that I would discuss around a fire.
Those opinions I'll keep off of here.
Here are some of my photos from those Glory Daze.....https://flic.kr/s/aHsjF5YWzY

As to the animal issues. It is complicated. I saw good and bad but mainly good. I rode an elephant that had killed before. She loved me and I her. she killed a cruel night animal keeper who beat them as he got drunk. They have a way of taking care of their own. She loved performing and I rode her everyday. She would quiver in anticipation of the appluase. Sadly, not all animals get to be free.
Not do people.
What is next? No pets? Guide dogs? No recue animals? No Police Canine units? We all have to go Vegan?

The animals got watered, fed and cleaned. Us clowns did not!

Seems that we live in a We Society. Not an I or a Me but a We.
We don't like what you represent so We will spend our energy to stop what You do and what We do not do.
Happens to Control Liners and R/Cers. We don't like your noise and fun so We will put a stop to it.

Shug
Roid the Clown Ringling Red Unit 1980-82
Clown College Class of 1979

Very well put Sean. I'm sure there are many interesting fireside stories stored up in the 'ol melon too. :##
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Must be a sad day for Shug.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:37 PM »
The economics of the circus must have been difficult. I love live performance. These days, much entertainment and art is not. The logistics of a traveling circus must be daunting. People and animals moving around the country, all needing specialized support. Passing of an era. Perhaps the passing of an era long passed. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
Shug I read your post and as I did a wave of emotion swept over me because it brought back a very personal and wonderful memory to me and although you did not elaborate on it for obvious reasons, you also touched on what I think is a very nefarious change that is infiltrating our culture and society.  The emotion came from a trip that my dad took me on to see the circus some 60 plus years ago.  That experience is burned into my brain and was something magical that I have never forgotten.  The elephants, the lion tamer. the trapeze artist and the Ringmaster with his red coat and black top hat.  I will never forget something he said to me while we were going into the tent.  He said I wanted you to see the circus because someday it probably will cease to exist.  He was right unfortunately but he seemed to have an insight into a lot of things.  One of the most vivid memories were the clowns and the clown car.  I am not sure if Emmett Kelly was with the Circus then but I do remember a sad face clown that I could not take my eyes off of.

Anyway Shug, thank you for revitalizing that wonderful memory for me.  It made me smile.

Kindest regards,
Mike Griffin

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 10:43:08 PM »
Hi Shug,

Like the subject says....... a sad day for Shug! I wondered where that happy, bubbling nature of yours came from! Your video's are really entertaining and often brightened my day when I did not feel great, so thanks so much for that. Just don't let this grind you down. With such a good nature and attitude, something good will always come along.

Thanks for sharing the glory daze pics and the story of you and the elephant. It reminded me of the movie "Water for Elephants" with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattison. It also got me thinking about Billy Joel's "Leningrad" song with Viktor that just wanted to be a circus clown and made children laugh. To have a job that makes people happy for even just a few years is a wonderful privilege. Thank you for being Shug the entertaining C/L guy! Be strong!

Sincerely,
Keith R
Keith R

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »
Hi Shug,

I am saddened by the passing of this time honoued grand Marquise.

Family legend has it that we be distant relatives of the Barnum and Bailey genre and we express deep sorrow at the demise of this proud and telling heritage.

We support you in your sorrow and your future ambitions to keep this grand tradition alive.

Always in spirit,

Rob and Kim Whitley

Online Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 06:46:47 AM »
Really sad. When in the first grade, 1957, I saw Ringling Bros Circus at the "old" Madison Square Garden in NYC. Never forgot that day.

I'm all for treating animals well, but this is directly or indirectly the fault of the powerful animal rights activists- (more like anarchists).

When RB was forced to remove elephants last year, attendance dropped. The animal rights people weren't satisfied. So, economics prevailed.

Goodbye, RB.
60 years later, I  still remember that day in 1957. The animals weren't "abused" , not just my opinion, but the opinion of those in the know.

Well- fed, sheltered, given meds when needed.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »
Truly sad and in many ways angers me greatly

Our folks managed to take us to cool and interesting stuff wherever we lived (Army brat)

In my case we were in Minnesota and I have vivid memories of
Ringling Brothers circus
Peggy Flemming with the Ice Capades
Minnesota Twins game
Harlem Globe Trotters

Wife and I tried, as often as possible, to expose our children to these  experiences

Very sad that our grand and great grand children will not experience this wonder

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Not the end of circus...just the end of Ringling.

Shug you have a lifetime of memories in your album all from a few years. Very nice.
We had a showgirl named MaryAnn who took pictures and sold them to us for 10¢. so glad I have them.

Very well put Sean. I'm sure there are many interesting fireside stories stored up in the 'ol melon too. :##
Head full of tales that want to spew out!

The economics of the circus must have been difficult. I love live performance. These days, much entertainment and art is not. The logistics of a traveling circus must be daunting. People and animals moving around the country, all needing specialized support. Passing of an era. Perhaps the passing of an era long passed. Sad.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well we clowns did not get paid much! But I did not get in it for the money. After I was accepted to Clown college in 1979 and got selected to go on the Big Show (about 17 of us out of 60 sclown students made the cut) we got paid $155 a week for doing 13 to 15 circus shows weely. 3 year apprenticeship. 2nd year was $165. 3rd year was $175. After that you barter for more money of more space on the train. Move up from living on clown car to staterooms.
So...we dod not cost them much.
I was such a great time but you never know that in that moment.

Shug I read your post and as I did a wave of emotion swept over me because it brought back a very personal and wonderful memory to me and although you did not elaborate on it for obvious reasons, you also touched on what I think is a very nefarious change that is infiltrating our culture and society.  The emotion came from a trip that my dad took me on to see the circus some 60 plus years ago.  That experience is burned into my brain and was something magical that I have never forgotten.  The elephants, the lion tamer. the trapeze artist and the Ringmaster with his red coat and black top hat.  I will never forget something he said to me while we were going into the tent.  He said I wanted you to see the circus because someday it probably will cease to exist.  He was right unfortunately but he seemed to have an insight into a lot of things.  One of the most vivid memories were the clowns and the clown car.  I am not sure if Emmett Kelly was with the Circus then but I do remember a sad face clown that I could not take my eyes off of.

Anyway Shug, thank you for revitalizing that wonderful memory for me.  It made me smile.

Kindest regards,
Mike Griffin
It may boost attendence for all the remaining circuses. My daughter went into the circus business. It has evolved to Modern Circus which is more theatrical and uses no animals. Big part of my memories is working and traveling with those animals.

Hi Shug,

Like the subject says....... a sad day for Shug! I wondered where that happy, bubbling nature of yours came from! Your video's are really entertaining and often brightened my day when I did not feel great, so thanks so much for that. Just don't let this grind you down. With such a good nature and attitude, something good will always come along.

Thanks for sharing the glory daze pics and the story of you and the elephant. It reminded me of the movie "Water for Elephants" with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattison. It also got me thinking about Billy Joel's "Leningrad" song with Viktor that just wanted to be a circus clown and made children laugh. To have a job that makes people happy for even just a few years is a wonderful privilege. Thank you for being Shug the entertaining C/L guy! Be strong!

Sincerely,
Keith R
"Water for Elephants" was a very honest porteail of the life we lived. There are still many circuses left, small and large but Ringling is an institution. Not a day goes by my wife and I don't revisit those days. Still close with everyone we worked with.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »
Hi Shug,

I am saddened by the passing of this time honoued grand Marquise.

Family legend has it that we be distant relatives of the Barnum and Bailey genre and we express deep sorrow at the demise of this proud and telling heritage.

We support you in your sorrow and your future ambitions to keep this grand tradition alive.

Always in spirit,

Rob and Kim Whitley

I left Ringling end of 1982. Circus will survive. Modern circus like Cirque du Soliel is taking over and still providing jobs. Many small circuses still travel doing one nighter too. The PETA bunch makes it very hard for them. But circus is resiliant. Itis a lifestyle.
Really sad. When in the first grade, 1957, I saw Ringling Bros Circus at the "old" Madison Square Garden in NYC. Never forgot that day.

I'm all for treating animals well, but this is directly or indirectly the fault of the powerful animal rights activists- (more like anarchists).

When RB was forced to remove elephants last year, attendance dropped. The animal rights people weren't satisfied. So, economics prevailed.

Goodbye, RB.
60 years later, I  still remember that day in 1957. The animals weren't "abused" , not just my opinion, but the opinion of those in the know.

Well- fed, sheltered, given meds when needed.

I considered many of the animals cast-mates. Working with them daily.
It is only the end of one well known circus. May boost attendence for all the rest.

Truly sad and in many ways angers me greatly

Our folks managed to take us to cool and interesting stuff wherever we lived (Army brat)

In my case we were in Minnesota and I have vivid memories of
Ringling Brothers circus
Peggy Flemming with the Ice Capades
Minnesota Twins game
Harlem Globe Trotters

Wife and I tried, as often as possible, to expose our children to these  experiences

Very sad that our grand and great grand children will not experience this wonder

We are still a bit stunned...but not surprised.
It comes down to dollars.
The animal rights people are relentless. I approached a few the protested Ringling to speak of my experience. They had no interest in hearing what I had to say. They seemed like deeply angry people looking for a cause.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »
"Send in the clowns".    Good luck Shug.   Hope to fly with you one day.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
This is the first that I heard about it. I remember going to see Ringling Bros. Circus when I was a kid.  I lived in the Bronx then. The parade from the Circus Train to Madison Sq Garden was always a much celebrated event. I loved it all from the musicians to the performers.

How things have changed. Hollywood made a movie starring the guy who plays a Vampire. The Circus owner in the picture was a cruel S.O.B. Seems the people who live by playing make-believe had an agenda. In doing so they are taking away the wide eyed smiles of generations.

The animal activists even turned dogs loose at a major dog show to "free them". Those dog crates are actually a "safe place" for the dogs. The same idiots don't object to the dogs who use a "dog house".

The "We People" are the people who object to people living a good life, having fun is normal for humans. These are the people who object to model airplanes, and kids playing ball. I guess we all should whisper like the golf announcers, and not enjoy the thrill of being part of a cheering and noisy crowd at a baseball, football, soccer. or hockey game.

Shug, this is a sad time.
AMA 7544

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
"Send in the clowns".    Good luck Shug.   Hope to fly with you one day.
We used to sing..."send out for clowns".....

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »
This is the first that I heard about it. I remember going to see Ringling Bros. Circus when I was a kid.  I lived in the Bronx then. The parade from the Circus Train to Madison Sq Garden was always a much celebrated event. I loved it all from the musicians to the performers.

How things have changed. Hollywood made a movie starring the guy who plays a Vampire. The Circus owner in the picture was a cruel S.O.B. Seems the people who live by playing make-believe had an agenda. In doing so they are taking away the wide eyed smiles of generations.

The animal activists even turned dogs loose at a major dog show to "free them". Those dog crates are actually a "safe place" for the dogs. The same idiots don't object to the dogs who use a "dog house".

The "We People" are the people who object to people living a good life, having fun is normal for humans. These are the people who object to model airplanes, and kids playing ball. I guess we all should whisper like the golf announcers, and not enjoy the thrill of being part of a cheering and noisy crowd at a baseball, football, soccer. or hockey game.

Shug, this is a sad time.

May be 10 or so years but then we shall have an "I" society. What can I do you help you?
Those were terrific days.

Me and Meg backstage
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
I had a close connection to the circus world. My very close  friend Eddie Bosom was the catch man for the Flying Zacchinis. I met most of the Tampa Zacchinis family. Mario Zacchinis the CanonMan was a customer of mine and I did a lot of camera work for the circus people of Tampa bay area. Mario and Karl Wallendas came to my shop and invited me to there homes. Mario had a dark room on the Canon truck behind the canon.
 These are names long lost to most people but I am sure Shug has heard of them. 
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
Shug,

I have always loved the Circus since I was a little kid and first saw the "Greatest Show on Earth" in Kansas City MO.   I believe it truly was the Greatest and will be missed by Millions of folks!

I have been an animal lover all my life as well as an avid hunter and have run afoul of the PETA bunch a number of times over the years.

Most of those people are totally insane, and I mean clinically insane.  They should be institutionalized!  Most of the ones I've met have no grip on society whatsoever and feel no responsibility for their actions!

I would never treat an animal cruelly and currently own Horses, Dogs, and Parrots that love me as I love them.  

I used to train dogs with my ex-wife and can attest to the fact that the dogs were always happiest when showing off with people they trusted and loved.

My wife was beaten one afternoon by two PETA members (one male and one female) at our kennel in Colorado for (as they said) talking too harshly to one of the dogs (a stubborn female shepherd who always wanted to do things her way).  I arrived home just as they were leaving my wife nearly unconscious.  Needless to say they didn't leave until later in a squad car (a lot worse for wear!).

I think the mental attitude of PETA idiots is infecting our whole society and it's time for them to stop!

I'm very sorry about the demise of the "Greatest Show on Earth" and feel there will be a lot of kids that grow up having missed one of the best things in life.  I'm afraid a show without the animals might be enjoyable but for me couldn't be a "Circus"!

Thanks for your contribution to that, and I wish you the best in all your endeavors.  Keep the lines tight!

Randy Cuberly
PS:  When I say the Greatest Show on Earth I'm referring to the Ringling Bros, Barnum and Baily Circus...Not just the movie by that title!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:18:53 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
Shug now I can see why you are so enjoyable on your videos.  Watching the circus live as a youngster while in grade school with the other class mates was a thrill of a life time.  It was when I lived on our first farm I got to see the small circus as it came to Osceola Missouri that year.  Us local boys did some small jobs for a ticket to the big top show that evening.  Kind of scary when that first elephant came walking up to me.   The big cats in their cages and one of them loved to be petted.  Yes the trainer was standing by.  Also getting to watch them erect the tent and stands.  I too watched the movie about the Greatest Show on Earth.   It is a shame that kids will not have the experiences that we have had.  Hopefully when a small circus comes near I can take the grandkids.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
A peek at the Life......
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
Shug,
Is there an archive somewhere of the clowns of Ringling? I was told that my great uncle was a clown by some of the family, others said he sold those double clear balloons with the mouse head inside, still others say he wore a suit, can't confirm any of it. I do remember getting to see the tents set up a Masters Field in Miami and seeing the Circus every time he was in town so he for sure worked there. This would have been the 1960's and maybe early 70's. His name was Benjamin Contrada, AKA Benny Contrada, with a nickname of "Banjo Benny". He was part of the Italian family born in the old country and had the original spelling before immigration changed us to Contrata.

I enjoyed your video, thanks for posting.

Curt

Offline Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 03:31:34 PM »

Subject: Fwd: Circus

A husband and wife who work for the circus go to an adoption agency.

The Social workers raise doubts about the living conditions in a circus,

but the couple produce photos of their 50-foot luxury motor home,

which is clean and well-maintained and equipped with a beautiful nursery.

The social workers also raise concerns about the education a child would receive while in the couple's care.

"We've arranged for a full-time tutor who will teach the child all the usual subjects along with French, Mandarin and computer skills."

Then the social workers express concern about a child being raised in a circus environment.

"Our nanny is a certified expert in Paediatric care, Welfare and Diet."

The social workers are finally satisfied and ask, "What age child are you hoping to adopt?"

"It doesn't really matter as long as they fit in the cannon."

You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
Shug,
Is there an archive somewhere of the clowns of Ringling? I was told that my great uncle was a clown by some of the family, others said he sold those double clear balloons with the mouse head inside, still others say he wore a suit, can't confirm any of it. I do remember getting to see the tents set up a Masters Field in Miami and seeing the Circus every time he was in town so he for sure worked there. This would have been the 1960's and maybe early 70's. His name was Benjamin Contrada, AKA Benny Contrada, with a nickname of "Banjo Benny". He was part of the Italian family born in the old country and had the original spelling before immigration changed us to Contrata.

I enjoyed your video, thanks for posting.

Curt
I will reach out to some smart clowns and see. Be interesting to know.

Subject: Fwd: Circus

A husband and wife who work for the circus go to an adoption agency.

The Social workers raise doubts about the living conditions in a circus,

but the couple produce photos of their 50-foot luxury motor home,

which is clean and well-maintained and equipped with a beautiful nursery.

The social workers also raise concerns about the education a child would receive while in the couple's care.

"We've arranged for a full-time tutor who will teach the child all the usual subjects along with French, Mandarin and computer skills."

Then the social workers express concern about a child being raised in a circus environment.

"Our nanny is a certified expert in Paediatric care, Welfare and Diet."

The social workers are finally satisfied and ask, "What age child are you hoping to adopt?"

"It doesn't really matter as long as they fit in the cannon."

That is funny. I acually know some Human Cannonballs.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 05:50:41 PM »
       I couldn't believe this last night when I read this post. I have lots of memories going to the circus like all the others. It made our local radio news this morning. Seems a local animal rights activist wants to take some credit for the shut down. It was always big news when Ringling came to the St. Louis area. The train pulled into Union Station, and there was always a parade of the elephants up the street to Kiel Auditorium, the old St. Louis Arena, or the new Scottrade center building, where ever the circus was being held. This gal said she won't rest until ALL circuses are shut down! I'll bet most people that attended the circus never got any other chance to see elephants , lions or tigers. Not every city has a zoo. I think we just ought to round up all these animal rights activists, put them in a coral, and force feed them White Castle hamburgers until they puke! Where do these people get these kind of ideas???
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
I agree with Dan.  I had never seen where the animals were mistreated unless it was because they worked for their upkeep by being trained to perform.  Now I suppose these brainless animal rights activists will go after the zoos now. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »
This is HUGE news hereabouts....Sarasota being John Ringling's home and the home of a wonderful Circus Museum as well as art gallery and grounds....
And Venice was the winter home of the B&B Circus until 1990.....
The Arena that Shug mentions was torn down last year....full of asbestos and structurally unsound. The town was all upset when the contract for demo was let.....had a yard sale, raised about $200 to help defray the $ multi million restoration cost.....too little, too late.
I just helped raise $225,000 to restore a circus car that will be displayed at the Venice Area Historical Society's area by the train station....no trains anymore....GM won.
The head Of Feld Productions....owners of the B&B Circus, was visibly shaken when he announced the closing....he had worked for/with the circus for fifty years....just blamed the huge expense of doing it, NOT the lack of elephants.
But, in my opinion, it isn't a circus unless there is a bear on a bicycle....

Have fun!

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »
I have recommended reading for you all:

Memoirs of a Sword Swallower by Daniel P. Mannix

I happened upon a copy of this book many years ago (before Amazon) in a used book store (find one of those today!)  After reading the first sentence I simply couldn't put it down.  It describes the life of the circus side-show, the carnies, from the inside sometime in the 1940s/50s.  Now, mostly a lost world.  I'm sure that Shug would read it with more understanding than any of us.  And you get to meet some truly wonderful, but bizarre, people in it like the human pin-cushion, the ostrich (guess what he does?), and the fat lady (who happens to be side-show royalty.)

Offline tom creasey

• 1st. Lieutenant
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
A peek at the Life......
Shug

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Tom
AMA 1073788

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
Shug,

All I can say is You are the REAL DEAL my friend!  What a life!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Not deliberately meaning to politicise this sad event, but I have to mention,

I had two distant family members "in the Circus" and some times when we were "in country" my parents made a point to include, in the (Army Career Officer) Permanent Change of Station(PCS) ----a local gathering convenient to many of our uncles and cousins.

Long before I ever experienced a local "in person" Circus:

(I am remembering 1961~1964 time frame...)
These infrequent family get togethers, had the adults talking about current events---

As the eldest, I was expected to be the drink fetcher...  OK.. I was a 7 ~9 year old bartender and damned good at it...grin....
Nonetheless, even a 7~9  year old, has some sense of current events and many adult subjects...(we do indeed learn from our parents)

SO-- even way back then----
The family adults had a serious concern about how much society was changing.
I distinctly remember references to local venues charging more and more for access to the acreage needed, and the circus members claiming how the costs were forcing them to bypass some traditional sites because the cost was too high.

Animal rights non sense --- is but one issue---

I tend to think...personally,... greedy and myopic citizens, and politicians, are more to blame for the demise of this ENTERTAINMENT and WAY of LIFE for a great many Citizens

Here locally, in rural Lampasa we have a once a year Circus and also the "Spring HO" festival..  one... in in the city park "Spring Ho" -----and the Circus is out on the rural AirPort facility....  
About 5 years ago, the Lampasas County Commissioners got militant about Elephant rights, and forbid the circus IF they included Elephants.......the circus endures but NO Elephants.....

I tend to believe IF the Elephants are abused ----they are NOW abused elsewhere...but the reality is---- I doubt any sane operator would abuse his live stock....  (I have a lot of carny and rodeo experience...Jest saying)

Wife and I are deeply involved with Dog rescue and we know EXACTLY what constitutes a Abused dog

We tend to believe that folks who have a vested interest in an expensive animal, mostly take care of that resource

On the other hand we have witnessed folks, who are otherwise good citizens, being absolutely uncaring and even cruel towards defenseless creatures....

I am a solid capitalist and thus have to believe that any company that derives some monetary gain from livestock, has a vested interest in ensuring the compliance (throught training) and longevity ( through healthy living conditions and feed) of that livestock.... sick abused animals do NOT perform well or live long enough to recoup the cost of ownership....

I personally have owned animals that respond well to REWARD training ...BUT on a few occasions gained a severely abused critter that need extreme PAIN motivation........Ha.... this will @#$% a few off ----but there are human children (and adults) that exhibit this same tendency.....

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
I always felt the animals were my cast mates. I worked and performed and so did they.
They had a sense of purpose.
Good article.....http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2017/01/17/how-lies-and-ignorance-killed-the-circus-ruins-lives-endangers-elephants/
Meg and I were interviewed by the Minneapolis Star Tribune and it will be interesting to see it when it comes out and see if they quoted us correctly.
Lotta buzz.........

Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
So I had on my bucket list to watch Shug perform at the MN State Fair last fall.  Requested vacation time only to come down with a nasty ailment which kept me home.  Wife and daughter went and saw the show.

Entertainers are a special lot and they work very hard - whether they be musicians, actors, dancers, acrobats or wrasslers.  Took my wife and mother-in-law to see Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion a couple of years ago.  Live shows are a treat.

Yes, we live in a society of changing morals these days and not particularly for the worse.  Fighting dogs and roosters are particularly taboo as is human trafficking and indentured servitude.  I have mixed feelings about captive animals performing.  Some are well cared for while others not.  All it takes is one revelation of mistreatment and the writing is on the wall.  Seaworld will no longer keep orcas in captivity.  Saw a preview for an upcoming movie Dog's Purpose which was since postponed after footage of a german shepard being uncooperative was leaked.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 08:07:50 AM »
Some of my thoughts.....
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »
Ha! loved it Shug

Big smile

I am so glad my parents took us to as many of the different circus in different cities as they did

I spent formative years as a Army brat with frequent travel and later, decades as a soldier

Confined, group travel, to many many places....

It occurs to me- your thoughts on the train and your description of the Pull Out Night...

Just struck a chord, because when we did (finally ) get all the vehicles loaded and approved, and waited for the final hook up.
Then the tug, and bounce of the car connections... And finally the slow increasing speed, as we meandered around the country side, to where ever we were going.
I spent many Hours looking out the window and wondering what was beyond the trees? Where were we?

Then to finally arrive, and the fast pace of all the individual, or team, tasks to get off loaded, moved, set up...and the grand sense of accomplishment when it all went as planned

Lots of your expressed experience (much unsaid)  but closely resonates with my own experience... being part of a good team, family, cohorts...is in itself-- real magic --and very rewarding

Thanks for being a great part of the vast experiences so many people have had the fortune to experience and enjoy

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »
Thanks Fred.
The similarities are real. Though we just went out to the and slay the audience.
My Dad suggested I join the service. .........I though he said circus!
The two words sound very similiar.
It was a wonderful time.

Ha! loved it Shug

Big smile

I am so glad my parents took us to as many of the different circus in different cities as they did

I spent formative years as a Army brat with frequent travel and later, decades as a soldier

Confined, group travel, to many many places....

It occurs to me- your thoughts on the train and your description of the Pull Out Night...

Just struck a chord, because when we did (finally ) get all the vehicles loaded and approved, and waited for the final hook up.
Then the tug, and bounce of the car connections... And finally the slow increasing speed, as we meandered around the country side, to where ever we were going.
I spent many Hours looking out the window and wondering what was beyond the trees? Where were we?

Then to finally arrive, and the fast pace of all the individual, or team, tasks to get off loaded, moved, set up...and the grand sense of accomplishment when it all went as planned

Lots of your expressed experience (much unsaid)  but closely resonates with my own experience... being part of a good team, family, cohorts...is in itself-- real magic --and very rewarding

Thanks for being a great part of the vast experiences so many people have had the fortune to experience and enjoy

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »
Shug:

I will avoid saying what I really think about all the PETA and "animal rights" movements. I think you did a really good job of tactfully expressing the issue in your second video.

The first video was delightful and made me chuckle several times. You're an entertainer at heart and a very good one. Your passion to entertain comes shining through in all of your videos I've viewed, regardless of the topic.

"One of these days" it would be a pleasure to meet you and have a campfire visit.
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
Great videos, Shug! Thanks for the peeks into circus life! You shore dun married a purty gal!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2017, 05:23:30 PM »
I can say as a railroader who sees Ringling Bros. pass thru a couple times a year, and tie up in the yard for a week when they are performing at the Prudential Center It is going to be sad to watch the circus go. Railroaders love tradition and this has to be one of the oldest on the railroad. The army of people who make it happen from the circus are something to see they all know their job and swarm the train like termites to get it unloaded and over to the show. They load up in the dark on Sunday after the last show and are usually gone when I come in on Monday morning. T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »
Shug:

I will avoid saying what I really think about all the PETA and "animal rights" movements. I think you did a really good job of tactfully expressing the issue in your second video.

The first video was delightful and made me chuckle several times. You're an entertainer at heart and a very good one. Your passion to entertain comes shining through in all of your videos I've viewed, regardless of the topic.

"One of these days" it would be a pleasure to meet you and have a campfire visit.

I have a had a few of them trolling my video. They are relentless. Some called the animals I worked with "performing ias slaves" Then I looked at her You Tube sight and she has a collection of Lassie that she favorites. Just goes to show ya'. I called her out.
Thankee thankee.

Great videos, Shug! Thanks for the peeks into circus life! You shore dun married a purty gal!
Circus folk tend to stay together. We have for 31 years of marriage.

I can say as a railroader who sees Ringling Bros. pass thru a couple times a year, and tie up in the yard for a week when they are performing at the Prudential Center It is going to be sad to watch the circus go. Railroaders love tradition and this has to be one of the oldest on the railroad. The army of people who make it happen from the circus are something to see they all know their job and swarm the train like termites to get it unloaded and over to the show. They load up in the dark on Sunday after the last show and are usually gone when I come in on Monday morning. T.J.
I loved the whole train experience. We called the last night "Move Out Night"
Thanks for your thoughts.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ian MacNeil

• New Pilot
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:08 PM »
Hi Shug, I found this on American Prophet [americanprophet.org] a Former Ringmaster's Take on Circus Closure by Rev Austin Miles, January 18, 2017. The full article is similar to yours, you may wish to read it. Keep us smiling, Ian.

It made me think of you.

The PRAYER of A Clown

Dear Lord:

HELP ME TO, Cause more smiles than frowns---
Create more laughter than tears--
Scatter more sunshine than rain--
Dispense more happiness than gloom---
Spread more cheer than despair---

CONTINUE TO GIVE ME: The privilege of entertaining orphans, under-privileged kids and crippled children. And withdraw not the special blessing I've always received for doing this work.

CONTINUE TO GIVE ME, The opportunity of working with the small fry of every race, creed and color, and the use of this opportunity to try and encourage them to help make a better world in which to live.

NEVER LET ME, Know fame or fortune to the extent that I will forget or neglect my friends.

NEVER LET ME, Grow so big that I will fail to see the wonder in the eyes of a child or the twinkle in the eyes of the aged.

NEVER LET ME, Forget that I AM A CLOWN and a member of an old and honored profession, and should be a credit to that profession by forever striving to keep Clowning on a high and decent level where it rightfully belongs.

NEVER LET ME, Forget that my work is to try and cheer people up, make them happy and make them laugh. make them forget momentarily all the unpleasant things in their lives.

NEVER LET ME, Acquire financial success to the point where I will discontinue calling upon my Creator in the hour of need, or acknowledging Him in the hour of plenty.

I AM THANKFUL FOR, Being a part of, and having a part in, the one great entertainment the entire family can enjoy, the one great entertainment that has never needed a censor--THE CIRCUS.

I AM THANKFUL FOR, Having found my work, a work in which I take great pleasure and in which I grow in happiness and satisfaction.

I AM THANKFUL FOR, The reputation I have of being able to repeat on any date ever worked.

I AM THANKFUL FOR, The million safe and non-accident miles I've traveled.
The million people I've appeared before;
The million laughs I've had in "Clown Alley."

"Bless all Clowns and Circus Troupers wherever they may be, protect and watch over us and forgive our mistakes. Help us all to give our very best performance right up to the final curtain. And, when we join the assembly in the backyard of heaven to make "SPEC" for through-out eternity, let not one member of our profession be absent when the whistle blows." Amen

by Dan "PAPPY" Kerr.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 07:28:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing that info. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do in the future....PhillySkip

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Thanks for the post Ian. H^^

Some how a word got left out.  I blame the key board. ::)
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
Shug-

I share your feelings of another great thing lost to us, although obviously, this is a much greater loss to you. Still, I know more vividly now that I'll never see the "Greatest Show on Earth again, as I did as a child in Elkhart and later here in the Cleveland area. I always admired the circus performers and as a kid, pretty much sat in awe. I remember Ken Purdy's quote from Karl Wallenda, I think, "Life is on the wire. All else is waiting." Thanks much for the video. I watched it and several others of your performances. 'made me smile, and I know that's what you do.

SK

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
Shug, I know you have broad shoulders, but I'm going to blame you for this.  I came in  from the shop as I have done for several days now from working on a wing.  I decided to set up the lap top, as is the only thing I have sound on and I can adjust volume to where I can hear what is being said.  I just finished watching the five videos on questions.  You are such a brilliant gentleman.   When I was pre teenager where we lived I used to go walking in the woods.  Yes I walked across a lot of properties and a few times I wondered if I was lost as at some point there were no land marks I could see.  I knew enough to keep track of the sun.  Any way I wish I could get all my family to watch your videos as they are very educational.  I had some one lately when I mentioned about driving to a contest if I ever got lonely.  I replied to them, "How can I be lonely when I have my all powerful GOD with me".   Also I don't someone telling me to keep my eye on the road.  I love the scenery of our great country.  I guess my biggest fault is that I never exercised enough to really stay in shape and now in these later years I find my selg getting out and working in the yard several times a week.  As I told a visiter at the flying field one time, I love flying my planes and running engines,  when I don't feel like doing it after I sit in the camp chair and just enjoy the weather and watching the sites around our circle.   Wife couldn't believe that I sat for over an hour just watching the harvesting of the crops across the road last fall. 

Really, I want to thank you for your videos and truly hope to meet you in person.  Maybe the Polk City Iowa contest even if I don't enter any events.  Again thanks for the videos. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »
The train is in the Feld siding....the last performance is, I believe, tomorrow, in Tampa at the Amalie Arena....sold out....people from this area, I'm told, always supported the circus......
Maybe Busch Gardens will buy the train and display it as a remembrance?

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing that info. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do in the future....PhillySkip
Thankee for that.

I left the show in 1982 so I am doing good. Thankee.

Thanks for the post Ian. H^^

Some how a word got left out.  I blame the key board. ::)
We circus clowns did not really go by that prayer. But respect it all the same.

Shug-

I share your feelings of another great thing lost to us, although obviously, this is a much greater loss to you. Still, I know more vividly now that I'll never see the "Greatest Show on Earth again, as I did as a child in Elkhart and later here in the Cleveland area. I always admired the circus performers and as a kid, pretty much sat in awe. I remember Ken Purdy's quote from Karl Wallenda, I think, "Life is on the wire. All else is waiting." Thanks much for the video. I watched it and several others of your performances. 'made me smile, and I know that's what you do.

SK
Circus Lives on....just not Ringling. Thank you.

Shug, I know you have broad shoulders, but I'm going to blame you for this.  I came in  from the shop as I have done for several days now from working on a wing.  I decided to set up the lap top, as is the only thing I have sound on and I can adjust volume to where I can hear what is being said.  I just finished watching the five videos on questions.  You are such a brilliant gentleman.   When I was pre teenager where we lived I used to go walking in the woods.  Yes I walked across a lot of properties and a few times I wondered if I was lost as at some point there were no land marks I could see.  I knew enough to keep track of the sun.  Any way I wish I could get all my family to watch your videos as they are very educational.  I had some one lately when I mentioned about driving to a contest if I ever got lonely.  I replied to them, "How can I be lonely when I have my all powerful GOD with me".   Also I don't someone telling me to keep my eye on the road.  I love the scenery of our great country.  I guess my biggest fault is that I never exercised enough to really stay in shape and now in these later years I find my selg getting out and working in the yard several times a week.  As I told a visiter at the flying field one time, I love flying my planes and running engines,  when I don't feel like doing it after I sit in the camp chair and just enjoy the weather and watching the sites around our circle.   Wife couldn't believe that I sat for over an hour just watching the harvesting of the crops across the road last fall. 

Really, I want to thank you for your videos and truly hope to meet you in person.  Maybe the Polk City Iowa contest even if I don't enter any events.  Again thanks for the videos. H^^
That series of questions was truly eye opening....even for me!
Maybe see you in Polk City. I plan to go.

The train is in the Feld siding....the last performance is, I believe, tomorrow, in Tampa at the Amalie Arena....sold out....people from this area, I'm told, always supported the circus......
Maybe Busch Gardens will buy the train and display it as a remembrance?

I sure hope they do. The train life was a HUGE part of the experience. Thankee.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here