Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motels  (Read 1835 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Motels
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:31:30 PM »
A while back when I heard there might be a shortage of motels, I made my reservation on line like I did two years ago for the Brodak Flyin.  Now with things going all hay wire I can not go .   Called the Motel as I had lost the paper the confirmation number was on and was told they were not in charge of that.  I reread the cancelation note and it said I had to notify them before the 11th of June.   My reservation was for check in June 12th and check out the 18th.  I did not realize that the same site I used two years ago is under another outfit.   They charged me with out notice.  Now the credit card company says its too late as money has been sent the company.  So far we have been through at least 6 different sites with no answer to if I get my money back or not.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Motels
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
A while back when I heard there might be a shortage of motels, I made my reservation on line like I did two years ago for the Brodak Flyin.  Now with things going all hay wire I can not go .   Called the Motel as I had lost the paper the confirmation number was on and was told they were not in charge of that.  I reread the cancelation note and it said I had to notify them before the 11th of June.   My reservation was for check in June 12th and check out the 18th.  I did not realize that the same site I used two years ago is under another outfit.   They charged me with out notice.  Now the credit card company says its too late as money has been sent the company.  So far we have been through at least 6 different sites with no answer to if I get my money back or not.

Doc maybe I am missing something here but normally when you make a future reservation with a motel, they do not charge your card until you check in.  They take the card number just go hold the room.  Something does not sound right here.

Mike

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »
  Doc, was the reservation thru a company other than the motel chain itself? If it was you have to go thru them which it looks like you did this. It may be that you had a type reservation that had a cancellation clause that charges you . This almost happened to me. Now I always make my reservations direct with motel chain, or even call the motel directly  where I intend to stay. Hope you can get it settled to your satisfaction!
     Doug

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »
I have never made a reservation through a third party so you might be right Doug. I always call the motel direct.  In any case Doc, I sincerely hope you get this resolved in your favor.

Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »
Some of those reservations places (Kayak, Travelocity, etc.) will tell you that you can't cancel your reservation unless the motel says it's ok. I'm not sure if it's really that serious, but I did once and got away with it. My situation was a bit odd, in that the designated motel's lobby was locked up when I got there about 7:45 AM. All I wanted to do was lock down my reservation, and tell them that I'd come back late afternoon to get a room assignment and key...but nooooooo!

If they can rent the room for full price, they won't complain. A note to contest HQ or the CD might make be able to send a replacement customer and make a difference. Does John B. own the motel?  :)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »
 Doc, I don't know all the details,
                But if having a hard time finding the company you made the reservations with, maybe if you haven't done it already, call the motel where you booked the stay directly and possibly they can tell you the company you made them with. One more thing, but you have most probably done it already, is look through your e-mail in-box for the company's confirmation no.
      Doug

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:56:41 AM »
Well, I have finally got a response from the individuals.   I thought I had my confirmation printed off as well as saving it in my notes section.  But, I guess its live and learn. ??? does this stand for dummy?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
Well, I have finally got a response from the individuals.   I thought I had my confirmation printed off as well as saving it in my notes section.  But, I guess its live and learn. ??? does this stand for dummy?

;D Hey Doc!!  Sorry you won't be able to make it and still have to pay for the room :(   BUT I have an absolutely great idea  #^!  A most wonderful idea   #^!  Don't worry about cancelling the reservation .... go ahead and pay for it and support the event and community  ;D ;D;D  Then, just send me the the name of the motel and check-in information and I'll make the sacrifice and stay in the room on your behalf  ;D.  Best of all, when I get there, I'll be able to tell everybody about how you, defiantly and adamantly refused to let the big corporations take advantage of you, how you  absolutely refused to let your money go to waste, how you were so kind to a "stranger", how you still supported the event by providing a "proxy" body, how nice the room was, how close it was to the flying site, how the continental breakfast was, etcetera, etcetera!! ::)  Seems like a good plan to me, eh!!  #^ #^

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »
If I were able to go, I'd take your room AND pay you for it, then you'd be all square....
Someone should do that for you I would think.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:14:23 PM »
I would do that, but granddaughter that worked at a motel says that won't work cause they ask for ID plus confirmation number.  But if you want you can check with the Econo Lodge of Waynesburg PA.  Even though they have the reservation list they won't scratch me off.   Still waiting on the people that have my money.   Credit card company stated I should have complained when it first showed up on the card, but I did so want be there to see everybody and do more flying than last time.   Any way Brodak is sending entry and fee back so I'm not lost on that.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
There's got to be more to the story, this all sounds illegal. Unless your credit card contract has time limits they should do the charge back. There's always small claims court.

MM

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
Well after many phone calls, E-Mails and some aggravation, they have finally decided to cancel my reservation and refund the money.   They had my E-Mail in all caps with a number missing.   Even with that and the trip number I still could cancel.  I guess I must have been a little harsh with the last E-Mail.  So its live and learn.  No more online reservations.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »
Good deal, glad it worked out.

MM
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:40:02 PM by Motorman »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here