News:

• April 25, 2024, 05:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modeling Tools?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Modeling Tools?
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
Hi Fellers! So I bought some modeling tools off an older guy that quit the hobby. How do you use these Xacto clamps? If they are clamps?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
Re: Modeling Tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
What is this plastic get up with the Xacto tool in it? Looks to me for use with cutting slots for plastic hinges? But the tool itself isnt a blade.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
On a side note I thought these sanding blocks were pretty cool.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
What is this plastic get up with the Xacto tool in it? Looks to me for use with cutting slots for plastic hinges? But the tool itself isnt a blade.

It's a double chisel.  If I'm not mistaken you use it to cut across the wood grain, then dig the wood out of the slot in between.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:37:29 PM »
Hi Fellers! So I bought some modeling tools off an older guy that quit the hobby. How do you use these Xacto clamps? If they are clamps?

Send them to me.  I'll take care of it :)

I'm guessing, but it looks like they are held with little wedges.  Pull the wedge out, hold the clamp flush, then shove the wedge in.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 03:41:37 PM »
It's a double chisel.  If I'm not mistaken you use it to cut across the wood grain, then dig the wood out of the slot in between.
Well that makes sense! I take it you don't use these then?
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »
Send them to me.  I'll take care of it :)

I'm guessing, but it looks like they are held with little wedges.  Pull the wedge out, hold the clamp flush, then shove the wedge in.
Yes they are wedged to hold them. They seem kinda dumb.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 03:49:03 PM »
Use rubber bands to hold the clamps tight!!! The double pointed chisel is for making hinge slots.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »
Well that makes sense! I take it you don't use these then?

I think I may have one lying around.  I made a single chisel out of an xActo knife blade.  Steady hands, a good eye, simple tools, and pickiness will usually do a better job than the "perfect" job done by simple gizmos like that.

I scored a powered slotting tool at an RC club raffle, which, if you're not using wood that's too hard, does a job that's at least close enough to be repairable.
AMA 64232

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 04:13:06 PM »
Those plastic clamps with rubber gum bands are really handy!  I have some old small ones made by Kraft-Hayes (I think).

Looking for more, but haven't found any.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »
Those plastic clamps with rubber gum bands are really handy!  I have some old small ones made by Kraft-Hayes (I think).

Looking for more, but haven't found any.

Floyd

Balsa or Popsicle sticks & rubber bands are a handful to get set correctly, but once in place hold just fine.
AMA 64232

Offline Charles Carter

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Flying Control Line Stunt
    • Flying Control Line Stunt
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 06:35:48 PM »
The white plastic tool is very good at centering the hinge slot of any trailing edge.  You just collapse the top and bottom of this tool to sandwich the trailing edge and it centers the hinge slot tool.  Good find!

Charles Carter

Online fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 08:16:34 AM »
this is for hinge slot opening
du-bro have a similar
had one and sold, never liked the results, and if the wood is hard the V shape will twist in awkward directions, itīs more likely to crunch wood, than to open a slot properly
i love the clamps, use them for ages here!

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 07:34:06 PM »
I got the guys flight box an a bunch of stuff last year along with his Akromaster. The guy emailed me saying he was selling his house an wanted to sell off his modeling bandsaw an drill press an a few other things along with that stuff I mentioned above.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »
I still have all that stuff.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:37:08 PM »
First rule: A modeler can never have too many tools...Clamps of all kinds are essential, even those made from clothes pins.  D>K

Hello #liner
                             I agree with Ty you can never have too many tools if you want things to be just right. a Dremel jig saw, moto tool grinder and a disc/belt sander are invaluable for building baslawood models. Also making all kinds of sanding form as the need arises makes for a better looking and flying model. One that I found  that has made my airplanes fly better is a leading edge sanding form,it makes for a leading edge that has the same shape top and bottom. If you try to sand a leading edge by hand you better have a keen eye to do it with the same curvature on both sides.  Scratchbuilding is a lot of fun. Good luck with your tools.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Juan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here