News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:53:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mike Gretz Memorial  (Read 1167 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Mike Gretz Memorial
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »

A memorial service was held yesterday for Mike Gretz at the Montezuma Memorial Hall in Montezuma, IA. Keith Sandberg and I took the drive down from Minnesota to pay our respects. Attending, I learned even more about Mike that only reinforced my knowledge that among many other things Mike was a great, humble, helpful and sincere man. I'll add a few photos taken at the service, just the tip of the iceberg of memories...

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mike Gretz Memorial
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »

A few more...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:23:08 PM »

So long Mike, you will be missed.

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
Thanks for the pics as the old DOC Holliday couldn't make.    :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:10:23 PM »
  Thanks for taking and posting pictures Wayne. It didn't even occur to me to take a camera. It was a very nice service, and was very well attended by many of Mike's friends and family. Going from memory, the stunt and C/L community was represented by Wayne, Kieth Sandberg, Skip Spoula, Bob Furr, Bob Baldus, Bob and Elain Bookins, Mal Fawley, Jim Kreiger, Sean and Ryan Elliott, Glenn Lee, and myself. I might be forgetting some one. Many old friends from the SIG factory that we got to know and loved to see at the C/L contest. I got to introduce myself to and meet Mike Stott. Hazel Sig was there and looking very nice, although she was sporting a nasty black eye! I said hello to her and got a "Hazel Hug" from her and she pointed it out, so I asked her who caught her with a right cross, and she related that she had taken a spill off her electric wheel chair going off a curb. " I just couldn't get the thing going fast enough!" she said! Typical Hazel! I said that was because it was electric, she should at least get something gas powered and with a tuned pipe! She's 90 something and still sharp as a tack and it was a pleasure talking to her again. If you have never met and talked to Hazel Sig, you have really missed something. A few of us gathered around a table for some exchanges of memories and such for about an hour, and then it was time to head back home. I've been reflecting on the trip and the reason for it since I got home. If we do get to go back to Montezuma and fly control line models again, it just won't be the same with out Mike Gretz. But his legacy will live on in his designs, writings and photos.
  We'll miss you but never forget you Gretzy.
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here