News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mecoa Fuji .050  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mecoa Fuji .050
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »
Anyone try the new 1/2a engine from Mecoa? Looks like an abc ball bearing with a bolt on head and get this, the rod is solid bronze. $70 without muffler.

MM

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Mecoa Fuji .050
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
I "found" this engine a year or too back and it looked very good. There was a lot of adverse comment about it on the forums when I mentioned it, so I didn't pursue the matter.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »
the picco p-zero is much better and sometimes can be found for $49
Fred Q

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »
I've read where the backplate leaks, causing run issues. Seems like a simple fix. Nice looking engine though.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
Bump, still wanting info. Just wondering if it's on par with pico and CS.

Thanks,
MM

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
    I got a crazy, wacky idea for ya! After almost two years, if you are still THAT curious about it, why don't you just BUY one and let the rest of the world know what you think of it?? Man up and be a leader, spend some of your money  and show us the way!
   I'mjustsayin'
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:43:34 AM »
{deleted by Aki}
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:21:15 AM by Akihiro Danjo »

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:37:25 AM »
go to rc universe 1/2a forum.  it is a buggy engine and a project at best.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 06:21:08 AM »
    I got a crazy, wacky idea for ya! After almost two years, if you are still THAT curious about it, why don't you just BUY one and let the rest of the world know what you think of it?? Man up and be a leader, spend some of your money  and show us the way!
   I'mjustsayin'
   Dan McEntee

LOL good one  y1 <=

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 07:36:49 AM »
A bronze rod would be unbelievably heavy. Not that the rod weight would make the engine heavy, but the balancing with a rod that is nearly 4 times the weight of an Aluminum rod could be questionable.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »
I've been a leader, it's over rated.

MM
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:00:36 PM by Motorman »

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »
WoW! Now that is something uncalled for, sounds an eminently reasonable suggestion to me! I would be the guinea pig for this one, except I agree with Dave, a bronze rod is just way too heavy. It looks like one of those CS projects, buy the engine and then rebuild it so it works well! I have enough good engines that need a rebuild, without buying another suspect engine!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline andy borgogna

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
I don't buy anything MECOA, I have never had a good experience with their products.  One example, I bought a glow plug battery connector.  It looked good, only problem was it didn't fit any glow plug I have ever seen.  The fit was off just enough to not be noticed looking at the connector, but off enough to make it useless.
As was said before the promised to produce the Johnson .35, I got on the waiting list, well I am still waiting.  Maybe it's just me, but I will not deal with them.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
I don't buy anything MECOA, I have never had a good experience with their products.  One example, I bought a glow plug battery connector.  It looked good, only problem was it didn't fit any glow plug I have ever seen.  The fit was off just enough to not be noticed looking at the connector, but off enough to make it useless.
As was said before the promised to produce the Johnson .35, I got on the waiting list, well I am still waiting.  Maybe it's just me, but I will not deal with them.

Waiting for a Johnson 35 has been relatively short if not futile. I've been on a waiting list for an engine from Larry Linsalato for over 25 years

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
Yeah, other than having a nice website with cool engines, everything would seem to be "unobtanium".   I did buy a couple of Conquest .15's around 16 years ago, they were sweet engines, but been out of stock ever since.  Not sure I would trust to order anything from them now.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:07 PM »
Bump, still wanting info. Just wondering if it's on par with pico and CS.

Thanks,
MM

On par? I don't have one, but i gotta say no. All the testing I've seen, no one's got it over 18k?? Not even close to competitive. Last contest i attended, i was sporting a profi combat 049 on a bladder tach'ing over 30 with a 4.2 inch prop.
Now, everyone is testing them stock with an rc carb, so obviously that rpm should go up.i would like to test it myself, but i can't find the time to finish the projects i have currently! Lol

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »
Yeah, other than having a nice website with cool engines, everything would seem to be "unobtanium".   I did buy a couple of Conquest .15's around 16 years ago, they were sweet engines, but been out of stock ever since.  Not sure I would trust to order anything from them now.
       I just did two phone orders with Mecoa this past month. They were very good and I got my orders fast.
 I know they moved into a new building not to long ago.
Al

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »
Hi Al!

What engines did you order?

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:10 PM »
I've been doing business with MECOA for years...I've had no real problems with them. Good repair work, good engines...I just got their K&B .61 Stunt, nice engine. They have rebuilt a Kraft .61 and a HB.40 for me and they run like new. I guess some folks are just born under a dark star, others under a bright one.  H^^
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 11:06:56 PM »
The K&B  .28 and .61 do look like good CL engines.  I was thinking the .28 might make a good Speed limit combat engine.  I have never owned a K&B, but I would trust the design of the Clarence Lee .61.   

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 07:15:25 PM »
      I have a Fuji.050 and I reworked it and got 27,000 on pressure no pipe. I made a Radial mount backplate, reworked the insides,Turbo button head insert and head,venturi with Galbreath NV,drive washer and spinner. Played with it on the bench and something esle came up so it went on the back burner.
                                                                          Juan

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
Nice work, what fuel and prop are you using?

A friend of mine told me the transfers are smaller than the Pico and the shaft is the the same size as the Pico. I'm wondering if the shaft would hold up after engine development.

MM

Offline bob jablonski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
I have been dealing with them for about a year now. With the move some times things are a bit slow but it is improving. I have been working on getting things stocked up as they are the last of the American engines I want to support them. Being a small company they were willing to work with me on the C/L variant of the .28 Sportster.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »

Hello Motorman
                              The prop used is an APC 4.2 x 4 prop and we were using 25% nitro with 18 to 20% castor oil the rest was methanol no special additives. I didn`t make the fuel my buddy Rafael mixed for me to use on my cox engines. I made a different drive washer and smaller spinner to reduce weight. I made few turbo plugs heads using Novamega number 7 and OS RP7 plugs. I played with it a little and was able to match the performance a guy was getting with a Profi pipe on his Fuji without using the pipe just open exhaust he was using the same APC prop. I was thinking about trying a Nelson glow plug on a button head that I was going to make but I started  working on a 1967 Triumph Motorcycle that I have and the little Fuji was set aside.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Juan

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 04:50:07 AM »
Nice work Juan, but it confirms my suspicions. Another CS type engine, buy the kit of parts and rebuild it into something decent!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »
If it was ready to go right out of the box there would be no advantage for machinist engine tuners. Any shmoo could be competitive.

MM

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 11:24:46 AM »
If it was ready to go right out of the box there would be no advantage for machinist engine tuners. Any shmoo could be competitive.

MM

And what exactly would be wrong with that? An airplane, no matter what the type of competition, is the sum of it's parts. A crappy airplane won't necessarily be fast with a good engine and so forth. The prop plays an important part also, and requires a lot of work getting them correct for the plane/engine combo. If you want people to participate in an event, and that is what keeps events alive and active, there has to be options available to them. Not every one has or has access to a machine shop nor the skills required, but no reason why they can not participate through purchasing necessary equipment and adding a little of their own elbow grease. If it boiled down to just machinist types participating in the event, the event will eventually die off because all the machinists are dying off and not being replaced. So there is a good reason for it to be ready out of the box, or at least with some minor work involved.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 12:56:24 PM »

MM

Not true in my opinion. I was at a speed contest, flying pulse jet. I flew, and thought it was a decent flight. Joey walked out, picked up my handle and i launched for him. Same everything, including metering jet. He beat my speed by 13 mph. I've flown against him (and others) using some hot engines and still lost. I believe technique in the pylon is the most important factor to being competitive

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »

I have to disagree flying technique alone will not get the best speed unless everybody is flying the same plane. It has to be a combination of many factors, meticulous preparation of engine and airframe has to be a very important part. It takes a lot of work refining the engine and building a plane that can handle the power and be aerodynamic to slip thru the air with the least amount of drag to get faster speed. Of course a pilot that can fly the plane with minimal corrections in the flight path is important too. As a racer you can`t overlook anything if you want to be fast. If you want close racing no rework of any kind should be allowed. But even in that case you could buy 6 engines and all of them will run different due to tolerances in the making of the parts and then you could use the best running of the lot and sell the other 5 engines. Racers will always find a way to get better performance within the rules of course.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Juan

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »

it is not Technique ,it is flat out whipping......  i have 2 stock Cyclon .049's,except for smaller venturies on my two Mouse 2;s they are on suction and turn 28.000 on an APC 4.2/4
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:58:51 PM by bob whitney »
rad racer

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 05:53:09 PM »

it is not Technique ,it is flat out whipping......  i have 2 Cyclon .049's on my two Mouse 2;s they are on suction and turn 28.000 on an APC 4.2/4

I'm no expert, but it's really hard to whip with your hand in a pylon. I fly speed, i don't know anything about racing. In speed, if everything is equal and someone picks up the same handle whilst still in the cage, no changes and gets a faster time. I would say it stands to reason that the person with faster time has better technique.

My only point is, you can't buy yourself a win with a better engine. Especially if someone else has an equivalent engine and better flight control

Juan, awesome engine work. Knowing it's possible to get those numbers from the fuji makes a good reason to get one. Plus, it already conforms to 1/2A displacement guidelines. Looks like less work than the pico.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 07:29:51 PM »
I can not believe the engines will last with a brass or bronze rod. That kind of weight makes no difference in a 600 RPM stationary engine. But in a 20,000+ RPM model engine that extremely heavy rod puts a lot of stress on the crank and main bearings. I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a model engine with a rod made from such heavy material.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 09:01:32 PM »

it stands to reason the person is WHIPPING S?P
rad racer

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »
 i have 2 stock Cyclon .049's,except for smaller venturies on my two Mouse 2;s they are on suction and turn 28.000 on an APC 4.2/4

If your cyclon turns 28k on suction with 10% fuel, the fuji must be a dog to only turn 27K on pressure with 25%fuel same prop and I never considered the cyclon to be all that. Fuji sounds more like a sport engine.

MM

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 11:10:37 PM »

it stands to reason the person is WHIPPING S?P

That's why i continue to fly with these guys. To learn those expert piloting techniques....  ;D

MM, i agree with what you are saying about the fuji being a sport engine. I'm getting more into the machine work aspect of the hobby. So i would buy one of these engines, basically copy what Juan did and see what i could do to improve it (above my current level, but something to shoot for).

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »

Sorry, i was using the wrong word ( whipping )  it is called Leading the airplane

the Cyclon is good to about 28.000 with good tourque ,but for all out speed a well set up G/Z will out do it
rad racer

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »

The Fuji.050 is a sport engine, I think it was made for R/C buggys by the shape of the head and the pin in the crank for a pull starter.  The cyclon ,CS and others are made for competition. I bought it because it was cheap and I could play with it. But if you want to go racing you have to buy competition engines and learn how to handle them. I went to the Nats in 2014 and watched how fast an .049 can go on a speed plane. But even with a competition engine this guys rework them and even chrome their own cylinders. Going fast takes a lot of know how and work.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Juan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here