News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long Time  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Long Time
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:33:21 AM »
Hi Guys, been a loooong time since I've been on. Just dropping in to see what's happening.

My flying has been curtailed by nerve damage on my right side starting at the spine and impingements at every joint out to my fingers. Flying a pattern now looks like a Beginner just starting Intermediate and it's very frustrating. Some have suggested I try flying left handed but I'm not very confident at my age that would work very well. I have thought about it a lot though and decided that I'm going to try 2 fisting it. I've sketched up a double barreled handle and will get it built before spring. I think some feedback and dampening from the left side is possible and I have nothing to lose. it will make me keep the handle centered in front of me too.

I've married and now have 3 lovely step daughters and a beautiful wife. My Dad turned 95 in January and was hospitalized with pneumonia and is now in rehab trying to get enough strength back to move back home where we want him. I've had some career turmoil having been let go from a job I held for nearly 26 years because of a "business decision". I have 3 years to retirement and its tough starting over.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Long Time
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
Glad to hear you are still with us.  Yes life sucks at times.  Before retiring make sure to get a complete physical.  I was paid a bonus to retire from Ma Bell and had to wait until 6 months after my 65th birthday for my social security.  Also you can work part time as long as you don't make too much money.  Those jokers at the social security office thinks the money is coming out of their pocket.  My wife retired and then with out warning the jerks told her she was making too much.  I mean us on retirement have lost at least two cost of living raises so some one could go play golf and have their multiple vacations.  Now to see how bad the next 4 years will get even though I voted for President Trump.  (Adm. you have my permission to delete any part that up sets you,  DOC Holliday)

Any if you do retire early make sure you have all the nuts and bolts in the proper order.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Hey Brother Randy!  Wonderful to hear from you!!  Your caption says it well, a VERY long time.  I've missed ya.
Sorry to learn of your problems, but now maybe I can whup you.(?)  Okay, probably not.
I was blessed to be able to find a hole in the fence at age 60, drew on my 401K for two years, then hit the SS.  I did the math, and I've made more from them by taking it early than if I had waited.  My (advanced) age had everything to do with it.  Getting out in 2000 verses now was a distinct advantage monetarily, at least for me.
Wish I could be up there with you when you start working on the two handed method, might be a way I could help.
So...you take good care of you, the wife, and three daughters - that's the main thing right now.  God's best to you, my friend,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
Dude! Glad to see you back here.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »
It's good to hear from you Randy. We missed you at our contests, and now we have shelved them for a while. So hearing from you here is a good thing. 'so sorry about life's pitfalls, but the new family sounds great! I miss seeing your workmanship and talking with you at the field. 'hpope the CL thing proves successful!

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
Actually you max social security at 70. For every year after 66 you get an additional 8%. At 70 you get social security at 132%. If Randy can do it then more power to him. Every penny means something. My brother just retired as a Postmaster officially done on March 30th. He is 76 and believe it or not he still gets a raise in social security every year. Why, because he is still working and contributing to it. There are no limits after 66 retiring  early is a downer, about $14,700 cap on earnings than you lose money from your SS check. if you continue working till you hit 66 no limit.

Dennis

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »
Hey Randy, really glad to see you back...missed you

Mike

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
Glad to hear you are still with us.  Yes life sucks at times.  Before retiring make sure to get a complete physical.  I was paid a bonus to retire from Ma Bell and had to wait until 6 months after my 65th birthday for my social security.  Also you can work part time as long as you don't make too much money.  Those jokers at the social security office thinks the money is coming out of their pocket.  My wife retired and then with out warning the jerks told her she was making too much.  I mean us on retirement have lost at least two cost of living raises so some one could go play golf and have their multiple vacations.  Now to see how bad the next 4 years will get even though I voted for President Trump.  (Adm. you have my permission to delete any part that up sets you,  DOC Holliday)

Any if you do retire early make sure you have all the nuts and bolts in the proper order.   H^^

Nothing offensive here!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »
Actually you max social security at 70. For every year after 66 you get an additional 8%. At 70 you get social security at 132%. If Randy can do it then more power to him. Every penny means something. My brother just retired as a Postmaster officially done on March 30th. He is 76 and believe it or not he still gets a raise in social security every year. Why, because he is still working and contributing to it. There are no limits after 66 retiring  early is a downer, about $14,700 cap on earnings than you lose money from your SS check. if you continue working till you hit 66 no limit.

Dennis

Yes, 70 is what I'm holding out for, the difference between now and then is almost a G note! Good info on the earnings cap. I am shooting to have the homestead paid off and it that happens I should do quite well with SS and some occasional side work.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »
Thanks all for the welcome back and kind words. I see a lot of new names here and wondered where I was at first, good to see the stalwarts hanging on.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
Hey Brother Randy!  Wonderful to hear from you!!  Your caption says it well, a VERY long time.  I've missed ya.
Sorry to learn of your problems, but now maybe I can whup you.(?)  Okay, probably not.
I was blessed to be able to find a hole in the fence at age 60, drew on my 401K for two years, then hit the SS.  I did the math, and I've made more from them by taking it early than if I had waited.  My (advanced) age had everything to do with it.  Getting out in 2000 verses now was a distinct advantage monetarily, at least for me.
Wish I could be up there with you when you start working on the two handed method, might be a way I could help.
So...you take good care of you, the wife, and three daughters - that's the main thing right now.  God's best to you, my friend,
Will

Hey Brother Will, good to be here. Life is strange but God is good. I have had the passing thought that had I forgone marriage I could be free as a breeze, But I'm convinced not only was I supposed to marry Robin, but that God has given me the job of raising these girls and loving them as my own. This I am doing with His help.

Now get this, they ALL like the smell of dope!!!! Not only do I get no complaints, they come down to sniff when I start covering!!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
Hmmm, now to get them to like launching your stunters! y1  Like you, I feel God had His plan for me to remarry to this blue eyed blonde to take good care of her!  I told her I was only after a cook, house cleaning lady, and a laundress.  Okay, so I lied! LL~
Can't wait to see you again, Pard.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »
You guys are lucky to find soul mates. 

I was talking to a friend who is older then me that just remarried after being a widow for couple of years.  Asked him if she could cook, said its eatable.  Asked if she was good looking and response was she fair looking.  Then asked if she had money and was told she was poor as poor can be.  Then I asked why did you really marry her, response was she had a car and could drive. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
You guys are lucky to find soul mates. 

I was talking to a friend who is older then me that just remarried after being a widow for couple of years.  Asked him if she could cook, said its eatable.  Asked if she was good looking and response was she fair looking.  Then asked if she had money and was told she was poor as poor can be.  Then I asked why did you really marry her, response was she had a car and could drive. D>K

Good story John. Mine is good looking and 22 years younger than I am.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »

Now get this, they ALL like the smell of dope!!!! Not only do I get no complaints, they come down to sniff when I start covering!!!!

Because they think it's actually nail polish purchased in bulk at Costco.  ;D

A note: Mark Troutman flies right-handed but is actually left-handed. His left hand just cannot hold the handle. When watching him fly you can watch his outstretched left hand make all of the moves that the right hand is doing. It is very much like his left hand is telling the right what to do.

My brother also learned to fly lefty after losing the use of his right arm. It CAN be done.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 07:19:46 AM »
Because they think it's actually nail polish purchased in bulk at Costco.  ;D

A note: Mark Troutman flies right-handed but is actually left-handed. His left hand just cannot hold the handle. When watching him fly you can watch his outstretched left hand make all of the moves that the right hand is doing. It is very much like his left hand is telling the right what to do.

My brother also learned to fly lefty after losing the use of his right arm. It CAN be done.

Hey Dan, I may try it but I have my reservations. It does have its advantages because its natural to lead the plane (CCW) flying LH and trail it flying RH. George Aldrich was a lefty flying CCW and said he thought it really helped. For me I think I could make the transition, but I also thing flying 2 pawed might get me proficient faster and even help me break some bad habits. We'll see.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:13 AM »

Hey Dan, I may try it but I have my reservations. It does have its advantages because its natural to lead the plane (CCW) flying LH and trail it flying RH. George Aldrich was a lefty flying CCW and said he thought it really helped. For me I think I could make the transition, but I also thing flying 2 pawed might get me proficient faster and even help me break some bad habits. We'll see.

I would guess that you'll get to repair some planes.
Still, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
Dan has a point - if it was me I would start with a beat up old profile over grass.  At least save the engine that way.  Welcome back and have fun.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 11:00:05 AM »
Welcome Back to the Forum Randy!

Sorry to hear about your intervening problems, but it sounds like some things that happened are very, very good.  Not to worry about the negatives they make us all stronger!   ::) ::) y1  Uuuuhhhh well at least some do!   HB~> HB~>

Sounds like you're determined to fix the flying problem so my bet is that you will accomplish what you want!

Best of luck to you and your family!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
Welcome Back to the Forum Randy!

Sorry to hear about your intervening problems, but it sounds like some things that happened are very, very good.  Not to worry about the negatives they make us all stronger!   ::) ::) y1  Uuuuhhhh well at least some do!   HB~> HB~>

Sounds like you're determined to fix the flying problem so my bet is that you will accomplish what you want!

Best of luck to you and your family!

Randy Cuberly

Thanks Randy, with a name like that I trust you!!!!!! 
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
Glad to hear from you Randy. It seems when we hit 60 it is kind of a crap shoot as far as health goes. I am reminded of what Lew Wollard always says, if I had know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. I have been fighting back problems and Polymyalgia rhumatica for the last couple of years. I am finally getting better. Prednisone and I do not get along at all, but it is the only cure. I have finally gotten my Harley out for a few short rides that do not seem to bother my back at all. But doing much else I have pain.

Glad to hear you have a family as they are always a blessing, at least most of the time. Hope things work out flying both handed. I am left handed but learned to fly right handed. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I do fly counterclockwise like every body else. Hang in there as there will be better days ahead. I retired at 64 and a half because of my back. I was fortunate that the oil company I worked for had a nice retirement package. We had paid of our house a long time ago and socked the money away in a 401 account. That has not done much with the economy the way it is.

We can always play with old engines. I have a fair collection of old sparkers to play with and run them just to watch the prop go around. keep the faith bro.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »
Glad to hear from you Randy. It seems when we hit 60 it is kind of a crap shoot as far as health goes. I am reminded of what Lew Wollard always says, if I had know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. I have been fighting back problems and Polymyalgia rhumatica for the last couple of years. I am finally getting better. Prednisone and I do not get along at all, but it is the only cure. I have finally gotten my Harley out for a few short rides that do not seem to bother my back at all. But doing much else I have pain.

Glad to hear you have a family as they are always a blessing, at least most of the time. Hope things work out flying both handed. I am left handed but learned to fly right handed. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I do fly counterclockwise like every body else. Hang in there as there will be better days ahead. I retired at 64 and a half because of my back. I was fortunate that the oil company I worked for had a nice retirement package. We had paid of our house a long time ago and socked the money away in a 401 account. That has not done much with the economy the way it is.

We can always play with old engines. I have a fair collection of old sparkers to play with and run them just to watch the prop go around. keep the faith bro.

Hi Jim, I'd still like to fly stunt so I'm going to try 2 fisting but the fact is I'm a FFer at heart and always have been. Currently working on restoring a model my Dad built in the winter of 45-46 fresh out of the Army. It was flown FF then RC with equipment Dad built himself (he's a HAM). going to have that at the Toledo Weak Signals show in April and then fly it after interviewing Dad in a video. I'll fly it again next Sept at the Muncie SAM Champs then donate it to the AMA Museum.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Randy, what day or days do you plan on Toledo?  I plan on Friday, so hope we can link up for a bit.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
Hey Randy;

I have a few old timer free flights with radios. A Playboy Sr. 80", and a Lanzo Bomber 60". The Bomber has an Ohlsson 23 on ignition, and the Playboy has had numerous engines including and Ohlsson 60 side port, an Anderson Spitfire, and a Super Cyclone. Lots of relaxing flying with those. I do have one pure free flight a Dakota Biplane with a Torpedo. They are all fun.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »
Randy, what day or days do you plan on Toledo?  I plan on Friday, so hope we can link up for a bit.

I will be there Friday afternoon/evening
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »
Alen Goff, Mike McHenry, Roger (the) Wildman and I plan on most of the day Friday, hope we can link up.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
Alen Goff, Mike McHenry, Roger (the) Wildman and I plan on most of the day Friday, hope we can link up.

That would be great Will, let's do that.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here